• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water inside rear compartments

muleror

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, I have a 2017 SX190 and today i was going to clean all the seat cushions. When i removed the seat cushions i noticed that that the bucket i had inside was completely full of water. Also, I noticed that the very rear of both sides of the rear compartments had a lot of water sitting there.
Where is the water coming from? I just installed a 2nd battery (Deep Cycle) next to the other battery and it is also getting lots of water inside there.

Other info: I keep the boat covered at the marina. And this happens with the cover on and without. Also noticed the sky compartment always has water even with the drain plug.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rey

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you checked the engine compartment as well? Could be in there if it's in your rear storage compartments. Is your bilge turned on while in storage? That will help pump it out. Could be coming from accumulated rain water or just accumulated water in general over time. I would suggest making sure the bilge is on and take her on a cruise at a low speed to get some of the water out via the bilge pump. Maybe even consider putting her on a trailer and parking on a steep hill and the let the water drain out from the plug. I don't keep mine stored on the water but what you are experiencing is not new and I've learned from others on this forum on what could be going on. Luckily, it doesn't sound like something is damaged and will sink your boat. Perhaps use the search tool on this forum and see what others have done.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cupholders on the rear swim platform leak like a siv. That water lands on a flat portion of the hull that runs forward into the rear storage compartments.

You'll want to seal under them and then plug or plumb the drain holes. I plumbed mine into the rear clean out tray, and sealed under them and the attachment screws with household silicone.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cupholders on the rear swim platform leak like a siv. That water lands on a flat portion of the hull that runs forward into the rear storage compartments.

You'll want to seal under them and then plug or plumb the drain holes. I plumbed mine into the rear clean out tray, and sealed under them and the attachment screws with household silicone.
Relying to myself......that makes me a cool kid right (or maybe the weird kid??!)

Anywho, @muleror Here is the thread where I plumbed my rear cupholders into the cleanout tray

Also, if it's just thestarboard side, check the witness/pisser lines from the engine to the thru-hulls on that side. They run directly over the starboard rear storage, and if they're knicked/cracked will produce a good deal of water in the starboard rear storage.

If the boat is left out in the rain, or you have a LOT of cold beverages in the cupholders in the aft seating area, those too drain to the storage areas. I used some cheap silicone "caps" that came on the ends of some bolts in a piece of furniture I bought to cover them. Others have plugged them with a dab of silicone shoved into the drain fitting on the bottom. Either way, plugging or plumbing those cupholders has cured about 90% of my storage "wetness" problems. The seat drain channels work amazingly well.

Just this past weekend I had to rinse the port rear seat and engine hatch seat. The benefits of taking a potty-training toddler on a day of boating, accidents happen. I rinsed those seats with (4) 2-gallon buckets of lake water. Just dunked the bucket and poured it on the seat while wiping with a microfiber. Storage areas were perfectly dry when we got back.

Some other thoughts.......If the boat is wet slipped. Once you get water in the bilge, it's exceptionally hard to get it dry again. The only way I can get my bilge good and dry is to park the boat on the trailer on a significant downhill slope with all the plugs (2 in the transom, 1 in the ski locker, 1 in the fuel compartment, and 1 in the engine compartment) out. Then let it drain for a few minutes. Even then there is often a pocket of water under the ski locker when I get home. If you can test the bilge, and it works, then I wouldn't worry about it. You're under 10 gallons of water if the bilge isn't running, ant while it's a bit extra weight, it won't hurt anything back there otherwise. Again, if you're wet slipping I would consider pulling it out a few times a year and "draining it". Second option is to take a shop vac, figure out some fitting to get the tip small enough to get in the drains, and "suck it out". Would take some work, but will get all the water for certain.

muleror

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Relying to myself......that makes me a cool kid right (or maybe the weird kid??!)

Anywho, @muleror Here is the thread where I plumbed my rear cupholders into the cleanout tray

Also, if it's just thestarboard side, check the witness/pisser lines from the engine to the thru-hulls on that side. They run directly over the starboard rear storage, and if they're knicked/cracked will produce a good deal of water in the starboard rear storage.

If the boat is left out in the rain, or you have a LOT of cold beverages in the cupholders in the aft seating area, those too drain to the storage areas. I used some cheap silicone "caps" that came on the ends of some bolts in a piece of furniture I bought to cover them. Others have plugged them with a dab of silicone shoved into the drain fitting on the bottom. Either way, plugging or plumbing those cupholders has cured about 90% of my storage "wetness" problems. The seat drain channels work amazingly well.

Just this past weekend I had to rinse the port rear seat and engine hatch seat. The benefits of taking a potty-training toddler on a day of boating, accidents happen. I rinsed those seats with (4) 2-gallon buckets of lake water. Just dunked the bucket and poured it on the seat while wiping with a microfiber. Storage areas were perfectly dry when we got back.

Some other thoughts.......If the boat is wet slipped. Once you get water in the bilge, it's exceptionally hard to get it dry again. The only way I can get my bilge good and dry is to park the boat on the trailer on a significant downhill slope with all the plugs (2 in the transom, 1 in the ski locker, 1 in the fuel compartment, and 1 in the engine compartment) out. Then let it drain for a few minutes. Even then there is often a pocket of water under the ski locker when I get home. If you can test the bilge, and it works, then I wouldn't worry about it. You're under 10 gallons of water if the bilge isn't running, ant while it's a bit extra weight, it won't hurt anything back there otherwise. Again, if you're wet slipping I would consider pulling it out a few times a year and "draining it". Second option is to take a shop vac, figure out some fitting to get the tip small enough to get in the drains, and "suck it out". Would take some work, but will get all the water for certain.
Thanks everyone for the input here. All. of this makes sense. The boat is dry dock all the time up in a rack outside. Since South Florida is very humid i figure normally having damped carpet inside the compartment is normal. Now, with that said. The cup holders makes a lot of sense. I can see how water will get in there while i am not using the cover and it starts to poor. I will fix that right of away. Also, the Clean out port tray needs to be sealed. I know this as i had to remove it to run some wire and i noticed there was no silicone or seal between it.

Thanks you guys!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the input here. All. of this makes sense. The boat is dry dock all the time up in a rack outside. Since South Florida is very humid i figure normally having damped carpet inside the compartment is normal. Now, with that said. The cup holders makes a lot of sense. I can see how water will get in there while i am not using the cover and it starts to poor. I will fix that right of away. Also, the Clean out port tray needs to be sealed. I know this as i had to remove it to run some wire and i noticed there was no silicone or seal between it.

Thanks you guys!!
A note on the cleanout access tray. The screws for the "port holes" leak almost as much as the edges of the tray. You'll want to remove those, and seal under them as well. I've also gone so far as to remove each screw individually, put a dab of silicone under it and screw it back in. Those two steps helped a TON in keeping water out of the bilge.

When running down the water, as the rear of the boat goes up/down in the lake, water will rush in/out of the "drain" for the cleanout tray. This gets worse in heavier seas. Some have gone so far as to cork/plug this drain to keep water out of the cleanout tray. Doesn't bother me that water gets in there, so long as it eventually drains back out. Gotta have that tray access cover sealed down well though. Even then I still get some water through, it's just the nature of that setup honestly.

The cupholders, and rear cleanout tray solved a good 90% of my "wet carpet" and water ingress issues. IMO, this is a build quality issue with Yamaha. The solution to capping the cupholders, and sealing the tray is a few minutes of time in terms of manpower, and a few cents in terms of parts. It's unfortunate really.

muleror

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will do thanks a bunch!!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I went into the same wetness of the compartments problem and I fixed the cupholders too because what a surprise to find out that the drain goes into nothing meaning directly into the compartments. So my fix was to go to Home Depot and buy about 10 of this item:
#10 Black Rubber Screw Protectors (2-Piece)
by Everbilt

1613351781876.png
Those can be used to cover the drain of the cupholders from the bottom. Now, to remove them (mine come with a silver ring on top), I turned counterclockwise the ring and removed the ring, and there are 3 screws, use a phillips screwdriver to remove them, pull the cup holder out and cap it with the item I just shared. I had to do this for 9 of the cupholders. The one in the captain's seat has a drain hose directly into the bilge compartment so that one I did not modified...

Then I filled the drain hole from the inside with black silicone. You can use the one in Walmart:
Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Gasket Maker 3 oz. - 75190

1613351914162.png
or the caulk from Home Depot but you need the tool to use it:
Advanced Silicone 2 10.1 oz. Black Exterior/Interior Window and Door Sealant
1613351726130.png

Then, place back the cupholders and screw again...

In addition to avoid that water goes in the cupholders when I wash the boat's inside I bought from Walmart sink stopper's that fit perfectly to cover them:
1613352163376.png

I hope this helps to solve the problem or at least to facilitate on what to do...