• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water leak

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've been taking on a little water....nothing out of the ordinary as the bilge pumps out water every now and then. I've chalked it up to water coming over the swim platform, but the other day we were docked and had more water than usual. I had already replaced the drain assembly this year and the scupper last year as they were leaking when filled up with water.

So I removed the cleanout tray and filled the back up with water. At first there was nothing and I was relieved but shaking my head. Then a constant trickle started coming out of the scupper.... not around it like a cracked housing, which wasn't likely since I replaced with stainless, nor around like a bad installation, but through the hose and out the flapper.

So my thought is one of two things...either the drain hose has a hole in it or I don't have it fully seated around the scupper. The hose appears to be on good and the clamp is very tight. So could the water come in the flapper and leak into the boat if there is a hole in the hose??? Just seeing if there are other thoughts.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
possible but I can't see much water coming in that way unless it was a larger cracked hose,
maybe put some duct tape over or a plastic bag and then tape around the scupper to seal it to the hull and put some water into the sucpper hose from the drain on the deck to see if any water leaks from the tube or fitting,

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the flapper is seated correctly, then water should not be going passed it (to enter the hose area). Try this. Have someone hold the flap closed from the outside. Pour water into the scupper hose (from the cockpit). While they are holding the flap closed, see if you can see any water leaking out of the hose from the inside transom area of the boat.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the flapper is seated correctly, then water should not be going passed it (to enter the hose area). Try this. Have someone hold the flap closed from the outside. Pour water into the scupper hose (from the cockpit). While they are holding the flap closed, see if you can see any water leaking out of the hose from the inside transom area of the boat.
That's a good idea. I checked quickly before going to the lake on Saturday and put the tray back on. I didn't have time/didn't want to move/remove the muffler to get a good view. That's my next activity. Also, I agree that the water pressure should push against the flapper and close it.....and even if water gets in to the hose via the flapper, it shouldn't leak into the boat unless the host has a hole or isn't connected to the scupper appropriately.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's a good idea. I checked quickly before going to the lake on Saturday and put the tray back on. I didn't have time/didn't want to move/remove the muffler to get a good view. That's my next activity. Also, I agree that the water pressure should push against the flapper and close it.....and even if water gets in to the hose via the flapper, it shouldn't leak into the boat unless the host has a hole or isn't connected to the scupper appropriately.
You are correct. I guess technically, one could remove their flapper and water still would not enter the boat if the hose is good and the clamp is tight.

Good luck on this and keep us updated on what you find.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you slow down faster than usual and have the water wash over the rear deck? Is the water warm or same as the water you are boating on?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you slow down faster than usual and have the water wash over the rear deck? Is the water warm or same as the water you are boating on?
No warm water, no cooling water leak, no rusted clamps, no loose clamps....I know there is some that can make it's way down with water splashing over, but it's actually more sitting and not moving which leads me to believe it's a leak and filling the boat up reveals no water coming out except through the scupper.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The flapper isn't designed to make a perfect seal. It's only there to prevent wave action from filling up the deck of the boat but still allowing water to drain from the deck.

Did you use adequate amounts of sealant when you put the drain hose on the new scupper? Due to the scupper being "barbed" and the drain hose having a "coil" in it to prevent it from collapsing, it would be easy for the drain hose to be leaking at the scupper connection if sealant wasn't used.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The flapper isn't designed to make a perfect seal. It's only there to prevent wave action from filling up the deck of the boat but still allowing water to drain from the deck.

Did you use adequate amounts of sealant when you put the drain hose on the new scupper? Due to the scupper being "barbed" and the drain hose having a "coil" in it to prevent it from collapsing, it would be easy for the drain hose to be leaking at the scupper connection if sealant wasn't used.
No sealant....just tight clamp. Could be my issue. To my recollection there wasn't much slack in the hose and it was difficult just to get enough to clamp. Maybe my plan is to buy new hose and cut to a good length, use sealant, and clamp.