• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Water Standing in Drink Holders

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I am wondering if there is a good solution for this. My boat has a plethora of drink holders, around 6 I believe. 4 of those are pretty open and prone to have some water/condensation in the bottom.

The holders themselves are stainless, with rubber or foam pads at the bottom. The issue is there is no drain. The seem to be held in place by some adhesive foam, probably to reduce water infiltration.

So I am not sure what the best method to drain these is. Ideally I would drill a hole so the self drain, but then I would need to run tubing along the length of the boat, and I am not sure how much would just sit in the line.

Is the best method just to sop it up with a towel and deal with it, or are there some ingenious ideas that I haven't considered?

On the yamahas the cup holders have a drainage hole in the center bottom. So they drain into whatever compartment the cupholder is installed over. Some have added tubes to route the liquid into the bilge but i think most, myself included, live with them as they are. That is the ones on the swim deck drain into the bilge the rest into compartments some of which are lined with carpet.

If it were my boat and that were an issue, I would consider drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the cupholders. Where that water drains to though could be an issue.

I swapped out the OEM plastic cup holders with stainless steel. The new steel ones had a drain hole in the bottom. I sealed up the holes with caulk & reinstalled the rubber pads in the bottom. When I do get some water in them I just dry them out with a towel. Plumbing them to the bilge or another compartment that leads to the bilge, or worse, letting them drain on the storage compartment carpeting was not a good option.

That was my first thought, since I assumed that all roads led to the bilge. I was reading some other boat sites/forums and there was mention of foam, and it getting soaked, adding weight, etc. Of course this seems like it would require a LOT of water of a long period of time, but I just wanted to know what was common.

I've done the same as @Gym. I was afraid that my family would spill drinks that would end up in the carpet of the storage compartments below.

However, on My previous boat, they drained straight into the bilge. So I just let them drain. It was easy enough to just run fresh water in there and rinse them out.

All I have ever had from most of the cupholders is condensation draining into compartments. I can deal with that, and honestly, even in the humidity of Texas, and our heat, I don't get enough drainage to make the storage compartments wet at all. So even though it was on my radar, I dropped it all together and consider it a non issue.

Yeah dude just wipe it out...........the time it would take to do all the work with the tubing will probably take more time then you will ever take simply wiping the holders off...itll only take a few seconds ya know

Thanks, I just wasn't sure what the common solution was. I think there was more water than usual early before I had the canopy on the lift. I will just see how it proceeds. I thought drilling some holes would be a simple solution, but prhaps just inserting a fresh beer in the holder may be even easier and more enjoyable!

My wife orders from there all the time for her classroom, I might just tack those on to the next order, just in case!

There ya go! Problem solved - water bombs!

Back