• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wave running around Captivia!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't know that I will ever do that again but at least I can say that I have jet skied in the ocean. Was one of the toughest rides I have ever done. The wife said never again!!!!
jetski.jpg

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We were down there last week, had a great time. Beautiful area and pretty chilled out this time of year. Didn't get to jetski, but we did go out fishing one day so at least I spent a little time on the water.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll be taking the boat down Labor day week just north of there. Can't wait!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've skid on rivers, lakes, and the ocean. The rivers are nice because they can be glassy smooth. Lakes are my least favorite because they aren't flat usually, and there are no big waves or swells to jump. If you have several harbors to visit, especially if there are restaurants, helps a lot. My favorite by far was the ocean.

We had some pretty rough rides on the ocean which I'd rather avoid but then I came away with a feeling of accomplishment from those trips. Dolphin, sea lions, the occasional whale, swells to ride over like motorcycling on hills, and waves to jump were all exciting. Having harbors to ride to also was fun.

Here's a video from a unique day on the ocean.

Lester

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll be staying on North Captiva the third week of June this year. We stay there once a year normally and it is great down there!!

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm staying in Punta Gorda on Charlotte Harbor. Any idea how long the boat trip is to Captiva?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jdonalds , killer video, thanks for sharing it.

@Jim Robeson , did you get any air? If so, how what did you think?

I did some ocean riding outside of Long Beach and "locally" at Bodego Bay and really enjoyed riding waves in close to the beach and jumping waves and swells. This was way back when on a Kawasaki 550 single and 650 X2, it was like getting air on a dirt bike but without all the gear or as much fear about the landings and the additional concern of what lies beneath (people are definitely not at the top of the food chain out there). Those days are long gone, that kind of riding is for people younger than I.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie... We did catch a little but I had a passenger that wasn't real thrilled with our experience. I think if it were just me might have been better for me. I didn't want to stand up because I didn't want Robin to be frightened.
@jdonalds...great video!! I think on a little nicer day my wife's experience would have been better. Thanks for sharing!!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf ... Nope, never made. Ran out of time which I know sounds weird seeing how we were on vacation and not on any particular time schedule. But we will go back. You had mentioned some big homes in and around Naples, there were some whoppers on Captivia and Sanibel. Just makes me wonder what the heck some of these folks do? Will say that we were so impressed with the island that it would be on our short list of places to retire to. Keep the lake house on Table Rock then winter on Sanibel. That would cool...little boating on the lake in the summer then haul it done to the island and do more boating!! Works for me!!!! :cool:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson My son and I spent 2 days running around Beaufort NC last year..We had a great time !! We ALMOST got stranded when the tide went out fast in the image below...We both grunted to get that thing afloat again (750 pounds I think)....

How the heck did you manage that first image ?!?!?!?

The openings to the sea was pretty hard on the machine (and kidneys). But this will become common occurrence now !

upload_2014-5-15_9-41-41.png

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@justason ... we had a little help with the ski. We had a guide that let us off in about waist deep water then he beached them. I did help him get them off the beach and surprisingly it wasn't that hard. We just turn the bow into the waves and let mother nature do the rest. The tricky part was getting on the thing with the waves rolling in. I would get on first then help the wife.

I know this would have been a better trip if 1) My wife was more comfortable riding one herself where she could have stood up while taking the waves and 2) a calmer day would have been nice...that goes without saying. Actually the swells weren't that bad, kind of like going up and down big hills. Tried not to catch too much air with the misses on the back. It was roughest in shipping lane (not sure that's what you call it, our first time boating in the ocean)...don't really know why we couldn't have been a little closer in.