• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wax or polish before putting new boat in the water

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the manufacturer put a protection coat on the gelcoat? Pickining up my new 2017 AR240 on Thursday and wondering if I need to wax it now or wait till fall.

Generally, polish smooths stuff off and wax builds more on. Don't polish, but do wax. That will put that nice protective coating on.

All of that said, I didn't wax when mine was new (until it was probably about 6-8 months old), and it grew up just fine... :)

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I will definitely have a marine detailer out before I put it in this weekend:woot:!

Wax, for sure, it eats wax the first time. I would use cleaner wax, and then you could polish or whatever.

--

How did Sun Sports treat you?

Nice looking boat! Get yourself a bottle of Meguiars FleetWax and put a coat on every month if you are keeping her outside. That wax goes on easy and comes off easy. Keep up with it and your gelcoat is golden.

Welcome to the forum!

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M6332-Flagship-Premium-Marine/dp/B0007TR47G

I have no complaints yet from sunsports, but we'll see when I pick her up Thursday. I was $54000 out the door including all taxes and fees. On top of that, I told them the deal is no good unless they also throw in all the accessories on my list. (Deluxe boat cover, 4 jet pilot life vest, 4 20' dock lines (red to match the boat) 4 fenders, anchor kit, wash down adaptor hose, lettering kit, fire extinguisher, flares, whistle, salt terminator, t-9) there's probably some other things I'm missing. I feel walking out at $54000 was a pretty good deal. The service lady didn't seem to happy when I told her I would be doing all my own maintenance[flag]

Back