• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Wax vs. Ceramic

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looking for detailer input here. The boat sucks to clean and need something to make it super easy (as well as help keep the light scratches from salt and bumpers away) I love the ceramic on my car, but it is pricey for the boat. How long does marine wax last? Anything that comes close to ceramic?

Looking for detailer input here. The boat sucks to clean and need something to make it super easy (as well as help keep the light scratches from salt and bumpers away) I love the ceramic on my car, but it is pricey for the boat. How long does marine wax last? Anything that comes close to ceramic?

Not a detailer... just a user and do-it-yourselfer who is interested in cars and toys. Here is my experience over the last 10 months.

We have several cars and trucks that are dark colors. Here is my experience with a GMC Yukon in Iridium Metalic (dark brown with some gray), a BMW Z4 in black metalic, and a Terrain in black metalic.

I have been using my daily driver Yukon that is not in the garage (wife owns those three spots) as my test bed for Rejex. To remove all the wax and contamination from the paint I went through the normal drill of wash, clay, polish, clean so I knew I was down to paint prior to Rejex. On two of her vehicles I stayed with the normal routine of wash wax with McQuire’s Ultimate wax.

Here is what I have experienced:
One good coat of Rejex applied with Griot’s G9 looked good. Another coat the next week really popped and made the paint look 3x deeper.

Rejex seems to last longer than a good wax.

Rejex tends to sheet water off rather than bubble water up like wax. This is nice if you are concerned about water spots.

I dry vehicles with a leaf blower and then use a microfiber towel to get any lingering water. I don’t see much difference between the Rejex and wax when I do this.

I do use Rejex on the glass on the truck which I would not do with wax. I am a fan of RainX.

Did the Yukon three times, Jet ski once, and still have a bit in the bottle of Rejex.

My 2021 was nicely cleaned and waxed by the dealer and I plan to let this wax go to end of life and apply Rejex after the normal cleaning. It’s my theory that since Rejex sheets water, this may help with water spots on the dark blue of the boat.

In short, I clean vehicles and toys because I like my stuff clean and I enjoy the exercise. It also prevents my wife from making me do windows or run the sweeper in the house since “I am very busy” ?

I would vote Rejex, it's not that expensive and will last you at least 6 months (mine currently is on 1 year, apply at the start of each season and forget about it). Boat sees a lot of salt and hard water, with 2 coats it is super easy to clean and water spots are minimal, just use a little bit of hot sauce and it's good to go. Other polymer sealants are ok, tried Jascar once but it did not hold up nearly as well as Rejex. If you want to go the ceramic route, look at Liquid Thor, stuff is stupid expensive but is rated to last 3 years.

IMG_2377.jpeg

Not a detailer... just a user and do-it-yourselfer who is interested in cars and toys. Here is my experience over the last 10 months.

We have several cars and trucks that are dark colors. Here is my experience with a GMC Yukon in Iridium Metalic (dark brown with some gray), a BMW Z4 in black metalic, and a Terrain in black metalic.

I have been using my daily driver Yukon that is not in the garage (wife owns those three spots) as my test bed for Rejex. To remove all the wax and contamination from the paint I went through the normal drill of wash, clay, polish, clean so I knew I was down to paint prior to Rejex. On two of her vehicles I stayed with the normal routine of wash wax with McQuire’s Ultimate wax.

Here is what I have experienced:
One good coat of Rejex applied with Griot’s G9 looked good. Another coat the next week really popped and made the paint look 3x deeper.

Rejex seems to last longer than a good wax.

Rejex tends to sheet water off rather than bubble water up like wax. This is nice if you are concerned about water spots.

I dry vehicles with a leaf blower and then use a microfiber towel to get any lingering water. I don’t see much difference between the Rejex and wax when I do this.

I do use Rejex on the glass on the truck which I would not do with wax. I am a fan of RainX.

Did the Yukon three times, Jet ski once, and still have a bit in the bottle of Rejex.

My 2021 was nicely cleaned and waxed by the dealer and I plan to let this wax go to end of life and apply Rejex after the normal cleaning. It’s my theory that since Rejex sheets water, this may help with water spots on the dark blue of the boat.

In short, I clean vehicles and toys because I like my stuff clean and I enjoy the exercise. It also prevents my wife from making me do windows or run the sweeper in the house since “I am very busy” ?

Your wife gets all three spots in the garage? What a nice guy!

I've got my 2016 242 ready to do Ceramic for the first time (For the reasons mentioned above) next month. its pricey but My guy said its good for 5 years, with a buff/update ever 2 years.

If you don't mind me asking, what did your quote come in at?

almost $3k. But i'm in orange county, ca - everything is like 30% more than florida. Its a 3 day process for them to do it, and then you leave it out for 10 days no water contact. I expect to do it right after memorial day.

almost $3k. But i'm in orange county, ca - everything is like 30% more than florida. Its a 3 day process for them to do it, and then you leave it out for 10 days no water contact. I expect to do it right after memorial day.

Was that quote for inside and outside or just the exterior?

Your wife gets all three spots in the garage? What a nice guy!

Happy wife, happy life? She drives the new stuff, I get hand me downs... mine stay outside or in the storage building 5 miles down the road. BUT she has never complained about a vehicle or any toys I buy from boats to SxS to guns. I believe it’s a good deal, please don’t educate me or try to suggest a compromise. ?

I am in Salt only for 3.5+ years, and any good synthetic wax will probably last one year. I like to use Griot's One (polish and wax in one) to brighten the finish and remove minor marks and residue. FWIW, I spray my hull and interior with Salt Off, and I let it work while I flush the engine. Afterwards, I wash everything with a good wash and wax soap, and I dry the boat (cheap microfiber acting as a squeegee followed by good microfiber to dry). Top photo = just done, Bottom photo = wax after 1 year

FSH 190 after polish wax.jpgFSH 190 wax after 1 year.jpg

Also FWIW, I am now at the 1.5 year mark without using Griot's One Step. I applied the Griot's Ceramic Spray wax at the 6 month and 1 year mark as a topper. Forget any ceramic claims, it is very easy to put on, and it lasts and lasts. That said, I will probably use One Step in the next month or two. It takes about 2 hours for the hull with my Flex RO polisher.

You might want to give some thought about having a professionally installed ceramic coating; it will not protect you from scuffs, marks and water spots. However, it will make dealing with those common things much more difficult.

I was planning on Rejex but it's too pricey up here. I was looking at various waxes and recently found Meguiars Ceramix Hybrid spray wax. This stuff works well and is crazy easy to apply - wash car/boat, rinse, lightly spray on in sections, spread around for coverage, and towel dry - beer time! It goes on clear and does not leave residue on plastic and rubber like most waxes do, and no need to let it haze or rub it in, or buff it off. It's not like a real ceramic coating of course, but it lasts like a good polymer wax and 10x easier and faster to apply. This is my new favourite based on what I've seen so far. I tried it on the side/rear windows of the SUV and they bead up nicely just like adding RainX and is completely clear. It's the fastest and easiest wax I've ever used. I'll be washing and waxing the boat with it soon so will get more durability data this season.

With hard water like what we have, spots will be an issue with any wax product. But wiping down with a microfiber towel on the trailer after we pull out of the water is quick and easy, and leaves the boat spotless. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar/water 25/75 mix for areas that dried before I could wipe, and the spots come right off and the mild mix doesn't hurt the wax.

I was planning on Rejex but it's too pricey up here. I was looking at various waxes and recently found Meguiars Ceramix Hybrid spray wax. This stuff works well and is crazy easy to apply - wash car/boat, rinse, lightly spray on in sections, spread around for coverage, and towel dry - beer time! It goes on clear and does not leave residue on plastic and rubber like most waxes do, and no need to let it haze or rub it in, or buff it off. It's not like a real ceramic coating of course, but it lasts like a good polymer wax and 10x easier and faster to apply. This is my new favourite based on what I've seen so far. I tried it on the side/rear windows of the SUV and they bead up nicely just like adding RainX and is completely clear. It's the fastest and easiest wax I've ever used. I'll be washing and waxing the boat with it soon so will get more durability data this season.

With hard water like what we have, spots will be an issue with any wax product. But wiping down with a microfiber towel on the trailer after we pull out of the water is quick and easy, and leaves the boat spotless. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar/water 25/75 mix for areas that dried before I could wipe, and the spots come right off and the mild mix doesn't hurt the wax.

+1 for Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic. Very easy to use and and works well. I used it last year on my truck/tow vehicle that is a bright medium blue and it gives a deep rich shine and beads well. After seeing how well it worked on the truck I ended up using it on my 2020 195S. Much easier than a traditional wax.

Any one try Nexgen or the Chemical Guys new ceramic quick detail? Also can this get on for example the rubber rubrail or will this dull the product like most waxes?

FWIW, Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray On Wax will not dull or form white residue on any surface (including rubber and glass).

Hmm, so doing more research, I can wrap the entire boat for about the same cost as ceramic.

Back