• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What a day.......

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, took the step son, his wife, and her parents out on the boat yesterday. Lake Winnebago is 30 miles long by 10 miles wide and runs north/south - I was heading from the west shore to Stockbridge on the east shore. The winds were coming out of the north/northeast at 15-20mph but we planned this outing about two months ago so I didn’t want to cancel. As I headed down the river and out onto the lake I only saw two other boats - a couple of fishermen at the mouth of the river. There‘s usually a steady procession of boats heading out on the lake on Saturdays so this was a bit odd. The first half mile or so is protected by a peninsula so it was OK but it got progressively worse. About a mile out I was in rolling two foot swells and taking a beating - I had to slow down to 12-15mph to avoid getting bounced out of the boat. It took me about 40 minutes to go 8 miles while swearing out loud most of the way.

I finally pull into the small harbor in Stockbridge and I’m the only boat in sight. The Stockbridge boat launch on a Saturday Is usually a constant stream of boats heading out - apparently I’m the only person who thought it was a good idea to be on the lake in these conditions. After everyone hopped aboard we decided to head to the west shore where there are coves/beaches that I thought would be protected - another miscalculation. We headed back across the lake at 12mph and after about 45 minutes of rolling up/down swells we arrived at the sandbar/beach - it felt like I had been wrestling a 20 foot anaconda. I thought that the peninsula that’s a couple miles north of the sandbar/beach would keep things a bit calmer - not so much. I figured the worst part was over and I’d make the best of it so I dropped my box anchor off the bow and my sandshark off the stern. I popped open a beer but after about 10 minutes the bow started moving. I found that the box anchor had flipped up on its side which surprised me a bit considering it had been rock solid all summer. The wind was blowing right into the cove we were in so I thought that the anchor would set (with help from the sandshark) and the bow would be due north, the stern due south. I was a bit surprised that the bow kept wanting to turn towards the east - it actually pulled the sandshark out of the sand after I had screwed it in a couple of feet. After repositioning the box anchor 4-5 times I finally had enough and we headed to the dock. Instead of boating back across the lake to drop them off we all hopped in my car and drove around instead.

What an effing day!!!

It appears that I have some more lessons to learn when it comes to anchoring in rough water - maybe my box anchor is a bit small for these types of conditions. I do know that if I run into conditions like this again I will be turning around and heading back to the dock - lesson/s learned.

Man I feel for you, I know what it is like. I do the Great Lakes a bit and we were going out today in Lake St., Clair. No chance. Didn't even get out of the launch cove and the wind got stronger. 1-2 footers, we handle no problem. These looked like 3-4 footers coming fast and breaking hard. Put her back on the trailer came home and enjoyed the day.

The main problem was that I couldn’t go nose or tail into the swells as I was traveling east/west and the wind was coming out of the north. As bad as it was yesterday we went out on Winnebago today and had a great time. It was calm the whole day - winds under 5mph.

Today helped make up for yesterday but it will be burned into my memory for a long time. :)

Well if anything everyone came back safe and it gave you some added practice on some rough water. Rough conditions is not what worries, it is about not knowing how to handle them. Sooner or later everyone will get caught in a shit storm either by surprise or not making a good judgement call, if you panic, it won't be good.

It's unfortunate that our seasons are coming to a close......

The main problem was that I couldn’t go nose or tail into the swells as I was traveling east/west and the wind was coming out of the north. As bad as it was yesterday we went out on Winnebago today and had a great time. It was calm the whole day - winds under 5mph.

Today helped make up for yesterday but it will be burned into my memory for a long time. :)

Was it the same crew with you today???

If not, maybe it was the crew causing the issues yesterday :) :) :)

Last edited:
Was it he same crew with you today???

If not, maybe it was the crew causing the issues yesterday :) :) :)

I’ve had my step-kids out three times this year and it’s been windy/choppy each time - today being the worst. It was just me and my girlfriend today and we haven’t really had a bad day on the water yet. There may be a pattern forming here.... :)

Back