• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you use to polish your boat?

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you use a buffer? If so, what kind?

How is this product from Ship Shape TV?

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That's the exact one that I have. It works great. Use it on the cars as well.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it really worth $150? Whats the difference between this dual action polisher and walmarts dual action polisher for $50?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For a new or well cared for boat I use a DA Porter Cable 7424 polisher with Lake Country pads (orange). http://m.superiorcarcare.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html
Polish with Klasse all in one followed by Klasse Sealant. Any stained or mildly scratched areas hit with 3M cleaner wax or Buff Magic.

For a chalky faded boat you need to step up to a full on rotary buffer and wool pads. http://m.superiorcarcare.net/mk9227c.html
Products to use will contain a slight grit to help cut through the oxidation. I've had success with the line of 3M Marine rubbing compounds and Fineness-It Be careful not to burn through your gelcoat by not pushing hard -- let the pad and product do the work. Remember that foam pads cut lightly and polish, wool CUTS.
Some extremely chalked gel will require wet sanding.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it really worth $150? Whats the difference between this dual action polisher and walmarts dual action polisher for $50?
A lot of cheap DA polishers don't really have the dual action capability under load. If your boat is new and shiny a cheap polisher may be fine but if you need to cut and remove some marring, go with a time tested unit like the PC 7424.

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Surprisingly for an '08 boat, my gel coat is in incredible shape and still holds its shine. It's always been stored undercover and rarely has the cover off longer than 12 hours. Dealer detailed the boat every year for the first owner and I acquired the boat last year just after the dealer had finished detailing it. Seems like it's my turn now.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For a new or well cared for boat I use a DA Porter Cable 7424 polisher with Lake Country pads (orange). http://m.superiorcarcare.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html
Polish with Klasse all in one followed by Klasse Sealant. Any stained or mildly scratched areas hit with 3M cleaner wax or Buff Magic.

For a chalky faded boat you need to step up to a full on rotary buffer and wool pads. http://m.superiorcarcare.net/mk9227c.html
Products to use will contain a slight grit to help cut through the oxidation. I've had success with the line of 3M Marine rubbing compounds and Fineness-It Be careful not to burn through your gelcoat by not pushing hard -- let the pad and product do the work. Remember that foam pads cut lightly and polish, wool CUTS.
Thanks, I was looking at the Porter as well.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Complete waste of money. My 12 year old LS looked perfect the day I sold it last spring. All I ever used to wax it was a cheap polisher from a local auto parts store, might have cost 20 bucks over ten years ago. Then again, I never let my boat's gel coat get oxidized or let it sit around for months uncared for. You absolutely do not need to waste 150 bucks (or was it 174 as I saw on the website) for this polisher. The proof? See my 2001 LS in 2013 below! Kept immaculate with a $25 polisher, then hand boat 1.jpg finish with microfiber.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'll stick to my 20 year old Sears orbital buffer

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I use the same Porter Cable on all my vehicles with Adams products. With the boat I just use Adams Machine Sealant once a season. Takes about 20 minutes with the Porter Cable. Beyond that I just wipe it down well after use with a liquid detailer/quick wax product. This year I switched to Boat Bling Hot Sauce for that part.

If you have small scratches and swirls you want to remove you'd need a green or orange pad and proper product to cut them with. If you're starting with a new boat and have no other need to buy a good machine polisher then just use simple spray products such as Boat Bling.

Deeper scratches in gelcoat can be wet sanded, something I want to learn.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A lot of cheap DA polishers don't really have the dual action capability under load. If your boat is new and shiny a cheap polisher may be fine but if you need to cut and remove some marring, go with a time tested unit like the PC 7424.
For the money, I wouldn't own anything else than the Porter-Cable 7624. Please do note, however: for lighter duty use, the Harbor Freight unit appears to be an EXCELLENT value.
However, the Porter Cable 7624 is like a standard for the "trade" since it works extremely well, is commercially made, and sells for $118.00 DELIVERED from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395692217&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Porter+Cable+7624
My only advice is to also purchase a QUALITY "backing pad." I chose a Meguiars.
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-W68-Rotary-Backing-Plate/dp/B002J823X8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395692342&sr=8-2&keywords=Meguiars+backing+pad
Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian
PS - Lake Country makes EXCELLENT polishing pads. And at a reasonable price.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length