• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is growing on my bunks?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doing some maintenance on the trailer today and found this......what the heck are these?

IMG_20200613_183034.jpg

IMG_20200613_183038.jpg

They're on there pretty dang good. Are they damaging anything? Am I going to harm the lake at any level with this stuff on there? Invasive species or something?

I don't even know where to begin searching for identification.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Looks like some sort of fungus to me.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have that same crap growing on my 2017 trailer's bunks. I believe it's a fungus that's rotting the wood out. One of my forward bunks is broken so I decided to replace both 7' forward bunks. That crap isn't growing on my stern-side bunks and they seem to be solid still. I'm really surprised these boards rotted out on my trailer already. The boat/trailer sits in my garage and is only taken out to go to the lake for day trips.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
spray it with some bleach.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have that same crap growing on my 2017 trailer's bunks. I believe it's a fungus that's rotting the wood out. One of my forward bunks is broken so I decided to replace both 7' forward bunks. That crap isn't growing on my stern-side bunks and they seem to be solid still. I'm really surprised these boards rotted out on my trailer already. The boat/trailer sits in my garage and is only taken out to go to the lake for day trips.
Exactly the same here. It's ONLY on my Starboard bunk (I only have one on my smaller boat). Trailer lives in the garage except lake days.

We need a fungologist!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer lives in the garage except lake days.
Bunks dry out too slow and BAM!!!! fungus is growing. My trailer only sees the inside of the shop when the boat's in the slip or winter & no fungus.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bunks dry out too slow and BAM!!!! fungus is growing. My trailer only sees the inside of the shop when the boat's in the slip or winter & no fungus.
I've been threatening to insulate and A/C the garage for some time now. This might be the best reason yet to convince the finance committee to make it happen :D

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been threatening to insulate and A/C the garage for some time now. This might be the best reason yet to convince the finance committee to make it happen :D
Good luck with that. If your finance committee is anything like mine your going to get the big NOPE!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the committee doesn’t approve the upgrades, get a small fan to blow under your boat, I bet that will dry them out quicker and stop the growth👍

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the committee doesn’t approve the upgrades, get a small fan to blow under your boat, I bet that will dry them out quicker and stop the growth👍
My backup position is an attic fan mounted in the garage to pull the hot air out, and some insulation in the attic space above. I think that will get me like 90% of the way there.

Already have an oscillating fan setup in the corner to blow on the top side of the boat to help dry it upon return from the lake.