• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the Actual break-in time?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep seeing people say its 2 hours other say the first 10 hours but my manual seems to say its just the first hour and 35 minutes of running. First 5 minutes operate at trolling speed, next 30 minutes keep it below 5000 rpm and the next hour keep it below 6000 rpm. That wont be easy....

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think your Manuel is correct. The ten hour is for service. They recommend oil change and all bolts checked along with other items. Most dealerships will tell you ten hours and less then 20 for the service. My dealership did the break in for me so when it was time to do the test drive, it was a fantastic 2 hour experience.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget to vary your speed during break in. Don't sit at one rpm for an extended time. Plus when you get a few hours on it, some periodic full throttle blasts will help seal the rings.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 10.08.36 AM.png

This is out of my 2012 manual, and while there were significant improvements on the 2015 boats, they have the same engine as mine and my bet is that the 8000 is a typo too. Pretty simple, but even then, most dealers will exceed these on a demo, as will Yamaha. Yamaha lake tests every single boat to assure it is correct, WOT is part of the assurance. So I don't really get the break-in procedure, but I do it anyway.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What Mel posted is what mine said and exactly what I did.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Except mine came with a 54mph top speed recorded on the speedo.. the factory already broke the break in rule before I got it.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If 'ole @MikeyL said anything about "8000" I feel sure, AS USUAL, he was wrong.
Take it from me !

EDITTED 5-10-2015: All joking aside, ALWAYS follow what is in your Owner's Manual.
PERIOD ! And the official break-in period is in YOUR manual.
For a 2015 24-foot Yamaha it is located on Page 104. THAT, and only that, should be your only official answer to this question.,

Last edited:

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Except mine came with a 54mph top speed recorded on the speedo.. the factory already broke the break in rule before I got it.
This is one of those yamaha mysteries that no one can explain to me (perhaps I'm just dense) in the same category as the highly mysterious bearing lubrication process for the through hull bearing. (Just try and find the exact amount of grease, even the shop tech at the dealership was foggy about the process "just squirt some grease in there every couple of months" wow thanks Tommy Technical.
Each yamaha motor is high speed tested before leaving the factory (I want that job) and yet the break in period still applies?
Just to be safe I followed the break in period directions in the manual for our 242.
No problems so far.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Every automaker that I know of does the same thing. After final assembly, the car gives into a dynamic vehicle testing (DVT) booth where the car is placed on a dyno and run up through the gears at speeds. Exhaust, brakes, ECU, various critical systems are computer checked while the technician does this brief, aggressive test. The tech also notes whether the car feels right (no odd bearing feeling or noise, brake pulsation, etc.)

I asked an engineer at a GM assembly plant DVT station the same question posed above.

He answered that the brief, aggressive testing was required to ensure all systems were functioning properly, to document certain systems met legal requirements (emission controls & brakes, maybe others), and to set misc seals.
He said the test is intentionally very brief to keep internal engine, brakes, and transmission temperatures from getting very high. After DVT the break in period's main purpose is to properly burnish in various components that slide against each other (most with lubricant film) including brake pads & rotors, engine & other powertrain journals, piston rings, etc.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The "Break In" period - and requirements - IS found in EVERY Yamaha owners Manual.

The motor does not perform at its peak potential until after the Break-In period.

BRP's have similar break in periods and requirements/restrictions. I know this as an owners of 2 beloved SeaDoo jet skiis.

Follow the instructions - If you are not sure, call a dealer - and THEN, in the long-run, by following the manufacturer's instructions, you can be assured of better performance and fewer engine issues.

TIP: By the way, what I normally do is to talk to a service tech. Sometimes the Service Manager. I have always experienced quality answers and results doing this.
My personal experience has been that these guys actually care about making sure you get quality answers. Especially on important questions.

Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For 2015 Yamaha Owners: What @txav8r posted is almost EXACTLY what Yamaha'as recommendations are for 2015 models.
What I had posted before was from an earlier manual. 2015 Manuals used to not be available on-line (as of yet).

Here is the 2015 Yamaha break in FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:

Break In Procedures.jpg
If you own as 2015 24-foot Yamaha, and cannot find this in YOUR manual, it is found on page 104 !

Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would say that most dealers provide good info, but not all. I have read that some will tell you to "drive it like you stole it". I would advise following the manual, and if you have any questions, ask here in JETBOATERS.NET. Where you will get differing opinions but a good balance. I would also caution against taking something a dealer tells you at 100%. As a buyer, we tend to view them as all knowing. They aren't always. Keep us in your back pocket, the knowledge base is here.

Last edited:

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First 5 minutes operate at trolling speed, next 30 minutes keep it below 5000 rpm and the next hour keep it below 6000 rpm. That wont be easy....
Correct, it is not easy! lol. We did exactly what you typed up, our sales man came out with us to get it broken in and show is all of the running features of the boat.