• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What is this stuff on boat bottom from Lake Livingston?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know what this stuff is? Don't get it on Lake Conroe but got it at Livingston when boat was in water for a couple days. Doesn't clean off with my brush but I can scrub it off with a rag. ..
20140719_165559.jpg 20140719_165607.jpg

Darn. Guess they are a bit blurry. Sorry about that. But they look like little grains of rice...

Yuck.. Looks different than the fuzzy stuff at our lake. We get brown stain and Black Spider Algae.. Pic's later. But we use Starbrite Hull cleaner to get it off. Does well. About 2 cups in a gallon bucket with your favorite soap. Brush on sit a couple minutes rinse off. If using a hand held cloth. Wear latex gloves.

Might be quagga muscles?

Do you get that at Livingston all the time or just this once? @tdonoughue It could just be some trash that was floating and dried on the hull at the waterline. Or, it could be organic. I don't know what it is, but hopefully you might change the subject title to ask for Lake Livingston Texas boater input. If others there get it, maybe they know what it is. From what I have read, you might get larvae of the mussels but you won't likely see growth unless it sits in the water a long time. So I don't think so, but I don't know for sure about them.

Looks like your common marine growth. Just a plant/organism .

That's Snail Snot.
Looks like your common marine growth. Just a plant/organism .

Yeah, we call it snail snot.

@Murf'n'surf , any experience with those Ultrasonic algae preventers on the bigger boats?

Yeah, definitely not an algae, I think. Almost like little eggs or something. Placed or growing in groups.

At least I like the name snail snot, if not the most scientifically precise...

Been to Livingston 3 times in 3 years, same weekend. Similar, um, snail snot each time.

Checked out Quagga Mussels--don't think it is them. They seem to not have shells but be like little pieces of rice.

Anyway, I got them all off. More curious and annoyed than anything...

That's Snail Snot.

Yeah, we call it snail snot.

@Murf'n'surf , any experience with those Ultrasonic algae preventers on the bigger boats?
Nope. My AC guy was talking about someone that makes an ultrasonic strainer for the AC pickup but that's the extent of my knowledge. The growth where my "big boat" sits covers a painted and cleaned bottom in about a week and a half at this time of year. My divers are out ever two weeks to keep her not so hairy!

My boat was in Livingston for 3 days a few weeks back. When I pulled it out I didn't have any of that. I know a few years ago there were tiny prawn/shrimp like creatures floating around in the water.

What part of the lake were you on? Our house is on the eastern shore, Pinwah Pines between Blanchard and Onalaska.

Oh, and to get your question answered quick post it on 2CoolFishing in the fresh water section. Lots of active Livingston fishing guides on that site that would likely know what it is.

@Kelso , we were on the north part, up by Riverside.

Big lake, tho.

Thanks for the tip on the other site.

Back