• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What maintenance do I need to do if boating in fresh water?

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2014 sx240. I will be using it in freshwater only. What are the routine maintenance things I need to do?

Oil and spark plug change every year. Wash and clean it? That's about it.

I spray my nozzles, pumps, and other metal parts with silicone after use. Everything still looks like new.

McMark,
Have you been to Dahn Tahn on the Mon? Abaht how far till yinz guys get to Picksberg? I grew up in Trafford! Just up the crick from Turtle Crick! Was Kennywood open when you went past? (did you look down? LOL)

Yes to all. Lol

It’s about 28 river miles for me to get to the point. Yes “Kenneywood’s Open”. Lol

As others have said, it's basically oil & filter & spark plug changes annually. Although you can likely get away with not changing your plugs annually, these engines can be finicky when it comes to tired spark plugs. I figure changing the plugs annually keeps me from having to waste an hour doing it when I'm on the water when I'd rather be enjoying the boat.

For cleaning, lots of us use Boat Bling Products: Hot Sauce and Conditioning Sauce for the seats. When the boat comes out of the water, spend a few moments to spray it with Boat Bling and wipe and it'll look good going down the road.

Are there any consequences if an engine flush is not done between lake outings? I understand the lake water is not clean fresh water, but is also not salty.
?

Are there any consequences if an engine flush is not done between lake outings? I understand the lake water is not clean fresh water, but is also not salty.
?

Run the engines at the landing on the trailer to fully drain and you will be fine. As others said, pull all plugs and clean outs

It’s pretty rare to flush after being in a lake as the reason for flushing is to remove salt deposits from the engines. I suppose if you’re in really muddy water you could flush but again that’d be an option. I boat in lakes and the only time I flush is when I’m out in the California delta where the water can be brackish (4 foot tidal surge where I was).

It's more likely you'll get scale, iron & lime deposits in fresh water. You can flush, occassionally with lime away to clean that out.

Periodically apply some yardwork to help remove the smile on your face!

We're in fresh water only and I always flush after use. We trailer frequently and I don't want to spread any invasive species. Just doing my part...

Without flush, does the engine water ran out during boat retrieval and towing , or does it really stay in the engine until the next boating?
(We typically boat in some lake, so I'm not worried about cross xfer, just wondering if it eventually gravity drains on own?)?

It drains but the water boxes always hold some. None in engine passages though.

Back