• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What steering system for a specific need

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, so I have read and researched and understand that you cannot compare cobra to thrust vector perse because they each have a different function. The more I read the more confused I get so I will state what I want to accomplish and hope people can give me their feedback based on personal experience and not just brand loyalty.

I have a 242 Limited S and want to improve the wake in any capacity I can for water sport, improve low-speed maneuverability, and general all-around response(not necessarily in that order). I have been leaning towards the Cobras based on my research but is there any value or noticeable merit to the Thrust Vector Wake? Given they are considerably more expensive, if there is a benefit to wake quality is it worth the cost difference over the Cobras?

Thank you for any input you can provide!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ooh, this one will light up quickly.

I know others have heard me say this before, but I have owned both and multiple versions of one brand. So I will try to be as unbiased as possible. As both are quality products, you will not regret either purchase, there are no wrong decisions and both owners/inventors are passionate about their products and will give you amazing support. They are both active on this forum and have helped us all, or entertained us all in one way, shape or form.

Best bang for your buck for quality steering going forward will usually fall on cobrajet. Hardly a person will deny that, they just plain work.
Best steering in reverse, will fall on JBP Lateral Thrusters, and those that have them will admit it is the single best upgrade for control around a dock. They will back in before drive in any day with the LT's. Some folks have gotten the LT's to work with the CobraJet steering, so do a search and find those threads.

With that being said, the cobra product will do nothing for a better wave or deflection of spray. So if that is what you want for surfing (for example) you will want to add a wake wedge, booster etc. And the folks on here with the best surf waves usually run that combination. CobraJet and Wake wedge with a crap-can of ballast!

If you want great steering, and knock down that spray for tubing, wakeboard and surfing, then the thrust vector wake has you covered. And results vary based on model boat you have. Since you have a 24, you will be waiting for the new jetwash deflector. But I have found they do a decent job without. And you only use the deflector for surfing. So if you just want to knock down spray for tubing and wakeboarding, you are good to go. Let alone your steering will be greatly improved. They also work well with the Lateral Thrusters as designed.

All of the above will require loads of ballast to surf. So if you ware planning on surfing, invest your money in ballast and see how that goes.

Again, none of these are bad products, so push all the badmouthing aside, nobody makes junk. Both are easy to install with quality components.

Good luck!

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you SOOOO much this is exactly what I wanted to hear or see, it is so hard to weigh it all out from individual posts for one or another of the items. Appreciate you taking the time to write such thoughtful and in-depth response!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One other thought, that weighed in on my decision making.... The Thrust Vectors will always retract while at speed. The Cobra fins can be set to retract or stay down.

I prefer that the fins stay down for 2 reasons:
1. keeps the rear end stuck in the water better and helps with handling when going over wakes. I don't feel like the rear slides as bad when crossing turbulent water.
2. related to 1... rear end sticks in the water, is a big help for pulling skiers or the tube where the rider can really put some pull on the back of the boat when cornering. Also, I feel like it doesn't bleed off speed quite as bad when cornering as it does without the fins.

Diablo243

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What are your thoughts if any on adding the Cobra Fangs to the fins?