• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to do...

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I currently own an AR192 and this weekend I found its weak points. The boat runs and performs great with 3 to 4 adults on board, add another and forget trying to do things like tube, surf etc, it is just too much weight for it so I am in this forum looking for answers. I think this boat is excellent for a small/young family but for more than 4 adults it has to work way too hard. I originaly looked at the 212x and was talked into the 192 for a few reasons and I am not disappointed at all with that choice but I foind out that now my kids want to bring a BF/GF, add my GF and my folks and I need more power. I had 4 on board and 3 on the Super Mable. She had everything she could to get both on plane and achieve 20 mph but when I litterally watched my fuel gauge tick off I realized what I thought was enough is not. WHat does it take to create a surf wake with the 212x? I have a 800# ballast bag can keep or let go with the 192... I know I am going to take a hit since I have only owned the 192 since august of last year but I need to do something....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that hurts.. we were close to buying one but I kept getting stuck on the one engine even if it is supercharged.. my family alone is 5 people so we decided to go bigger..

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have an older model 212X and I surf with just the factory ballast and the Wake Wedge. This past weekend I had the Wake Wedge and just port side ballast (about 400 lbs) plus about 900 lbs of people. We got a couple of newbys up all in 4-6 feet of water. If you have deeper water it is easier. You don't need a late model 212X to surf. Any of them will do it. I do recommend the Wake Wedge and placing valves on the ballast tanks so you can lean the boat. I hope you find clear direction on your boat decision.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have 5 in our family too and if each brings a friend we have 8. 8 is fairly comfortable in our boat and power isn't an issue at all as I'm sure the same with newer boats. You very rarely if ever hear someone say "I wish I had a smaller boat", or "I wish my boat had less power". If it's a beat down that ruins your time on the water, and you can afford a bigger boat, then go for it.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will find out more tomorrow. I have found a few dealers that have 212's in stock, I need to get a trade value on mine, call my bank and work numbers. I will probably put mine up for sale on the forums first and go from there but it all hinges on the lenders and what they come back at me with.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go to a 24'........next year you will be looking to upgrade from the 21!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go to a 24'........next year you will be looking to upgrade from the 21!
Yup. You're better off even if you have to go with a used 23' (pre 2010) than to keep "climbing the ladder" up to a 'full-sized' boat. You're going to loose your tail money-wise doing that ladder-climbing thing.

We have 6 in our family and occasionally bring a friend or two and we have plenty of room.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know...the newest 21 footers really feel like they have nearly the same interior space as the older 23, at least to me. However, as I said in another thread, if you want a Yamaha and you're looking at 50K +, I'd really give serious consideration to the 2015 AR240. TONS of room, plenty of power...and all of the noise level reduction improvements that haven't made it to the smaller models yet. The twin engine boats are just plain loud, at least until now. The db levels being reported for the new 24 foot boats are a huge improvement from previous years.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How loud are they really? I know my 192 is loud but the only quiet boats I have been on we're the V drives. I was able to add an amp and overcome the sound issue on my 192, could I not do the same with a 212?

BTW my bank approved me but I am not happy with the deal at this particular marina. I am shopping and looking to do better and I am thinking I am liking the price and payments better with the 212 than the 242.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would expect a twin engine 21 footer to be quite a bit louder than a single. More intake noise, more engine noise, more pump noise, more exhaust noise. I can tell you that my 210 is way louder with both engines being revved than just one. Boattest.com shows db readings. IIRC, the new 24s are as much as 10db quieter at WOT. That is A LOT and puts them in the same company as sterndrives.

Yes, you can add amplifier power to get your stereo louder than the boat, but that doesn't help when what you want is a relaxing cruise or to be able to talk with your passengers while underway.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think a 2015 AR240 would be the way to go.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am settling on the 212X. It was what I originally saught before I purchased my 192 and I am still drawn to that boat. The fact it has the same power plants as the 242LS and weighs 500# less makes me a lot happier with the issues I faced with my 192 and the extra weight of people on board. The dealer is now seriously wanting my business, he could not meet the price I was after on the 14 242LS he has in stock but is able to do a new 212X almost 3K below MSRP so with fees, taxes etc, I will be just below MSRP OTD. He has also offered to help sell my 192 for free by listing on his website as well as his Boattrader account, since there is no way I can let it go at trade value, I have to sell outright. Overall I am satisfied with the effort he is putting into it at this point. Now it all hinges on how fast I can sell my 192.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That seems like a very good price on a 2015 212X. We are hoping you soon find a family looking for a 192.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
212X is Yamaha's fastest boat as far as I know. Top speed in mine is 56mph. You will have no problems towing everyone around in this BEAST !!!!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Boats are like a grill/smoker. Figure out how big you need it to be and then buy one size bigger. ;)

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boats are like a grill/smoker. Figure out how big you need it to be and then buy one size bigger. ;)
Which is exactly why I am in the position I am in at this moment. Live and learn... The 19 is a great all around boat most of the time for me, it is just the big holiday weekends that it becomes too small.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How about haiku reasoning?

242 is big

Way too big for me don't care

wouldn't change a thing

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL. I post some weird shit when I'm drinking.