• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where can a floating cabin be placed?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
we have a floating cabin on a corp of engineers lake that will need to be removed in a couple of years. Does anyone know of a lake that it could be placed on? Ideally Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico. Thanks!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What lake is it on now? I didn't think it was allowed on Corp lakes at all. The two lakes that we live reasonably close to, and that we have the desire to boat on, are Corp lakes. Neither one of them have anything like a floating cabin on them. After our recent Jetboaters.net gathering at the floating cabins on Lake Murrey in Oklahoma we have found our desired type of lake front property. The kind that's "on" the lake that doesn't involve yard maintenance. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing. Also, share a few pics of your place if you don't mind.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it legally a house boat?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's a floating cabin, no motor. Has potty with holding tank.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Arkansas I believe all of the Corp lakes allow house boats but do not allow floating cabins. I would get it registered as a boat then you can put it in a slip at a marina.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Some COE lakes have them grandfathered to those that were there early on. I don't know how that happened, but they are out there. As far as new permits, I doubt it is possible without some legal maneuvering of some sort that involves greased palms and back room deals. Even the floating cabins at Lake Murray, that @PEARCE was referring to, used to be a fishing pier house, that was purchased and renovated...and then through some fancy maneuvering, they were expanded. What lake are you on @RForester ? Also, do you think the cabin and associated docks would hold together through a removal, transport, and delivery?

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are at a New Mexico COE lake, I'd rather not be too specific because we can stay on for three more years. It has been on it since 1953. We have been grandfathered in and the last legal fight with the land owner in the 80's this was agreed on. Just as it approaches, I was seeking an alternative. Yes it will hold up to transport and we have the equipment to do it. A nice private lake that has lots for sale or lease would be great! The problem is we are near amarillo and there is nothing close.