• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where to install in hull transducer on Scarab 165?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, just purchased a 2015 Scarab 165, 150HP with 22hrs on it.

I'd like to install a sonar (I picked the SP200 T-Box sonar phone) but I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts (or did it already) as to where to install the transducer.

I really want to do an in hull installation as opposed to the outside install using screws, holes, etc. So I'm wondering where the best place would be in the boat? A flat, unobstructed fiberglass only area towards the stern. I'm going to have a good look this weekend when I head up to the cottage but I'm hoping to get suggestions.

Yes, this is my first post. ;)

Merci!

Luc

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you decide to go with an outside the hull transducer, look into this. ..allows you to install without having to drill holes. Installation is easy and mounting is solid.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If you decide to go with an outside the hull transducer, look into this. ..allows you to install without having to drill holes. Installation is easy and mounting is solid.

Hi, thanks for the info. I did come across this (and that exact video)... although somewhat appealing, I still can't find a decent way to get the cable inside the boat which means I'd still have to drill a hole. But I'll keep this as a backup idea. Merci!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Why dont you just use the one from Scarab?? You can buy one and it is a direct plug and play. No drilling required, and it mounts on tbe floor of the hull in your engine compartment on the passenger side, just under the exhaust manifold.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Excellent question! I didn't even know they sold one? I looked on their site and can't find it anywhere. Do you have the url? Of course, as always, I'm Canadian... I'd say there's a 90% chance you can't order from Canada (it's the case for soooo many things). I'd still like to know what they offer but I really would prefer the sonarphone model since I want to patch it into my phone instead of adding another display. The cockpit is fairly small and I'd rather not add another display if I can avoid it.

Even knowing where it's mounted helps a lot! Thanks!

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Excellent question! I didn't even know they sold one? I looked on their site and can't find it anywhere. Do you have the url? Of course, as always, I'm Canadian... I'd say there's a 90% chance you can't order from Canada (it's the case for soooo many things). I'd still like to know what they offer but I really would prefer the sonarphone model since I want to patch it into my phone instead of adding another display. The cockpit is fairly small and I'd rather not add another display if I can avoid it.

Even knowing where it's mounted helps a lot! Thanks!

Look in your engine compartment and compare this picture. Please look for the wiring harness by the gas tanks filler neck for the Gray connector. The transducer mounts just under the exhaust manifold and plugs directly into that Gray connector once you pull the cover off attached to it. Scarab sells them for $280.

Attachments

yovonne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length

Hi, just purchased a 2015 Scarab 165, 150HP with 22hrs on it.

I'd like to install a sonar (I picked the SP200 T-Box sonar phone) but I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts (or did it already) as to where to install the transducer.

I really want to do an in hull installation as opposed to the outside install using screws, holes, etc. So I'm wondering where the best place would be in the boat? A flat, unobstructed fiberglass only area towards the stern. I'm going to have a good look this weekend when I head up to the cottage but I'm hoping to get suggestions.

Yes, this is my first post. ;)

Merci!

Luc
i have a 165g and i like to install a transducer, how you do yours without drilling holes? can i get some pictures?

yovonne

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Look in your engine compartment and compare this picture. Please look for the wiring harness by the gas tanks filler neck for the Gray connector. The transducer mounts just under the exhaust manifold and plugs directly into that Gray connector once you pull the cover off attached to it. Scarab sells them for $280.
i have a 165g and i like to install a transducer, how you do yours without drilling holes? can i get some pictures?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi @yovonne , so this is not my picture, but it shows you where I installed mine. There's a slope there, so you need to ensure your transducer is levelled. But the location worked very well. It avoids the metal ride plate, water bubbles, etc. Very far towards the stern so it's in contact with water the vast majority of the time. I'm pretty happy with the quality of the signal. But it's only as good as how you install it. Personally, I decided to go for the NON permanent method. I used silicone caulking (the type you use in a bathroom). I squirted LOTS of it on the low side of the slope until it was levelled and then squished in the transducer just deep enough that it would hold well. It then took like FOREVER to cure since there was a lot of silicone. But it did cure after like over a week (colder temps too).

It's very important that you have no air bubbles of any kinds, so be careful with that. Most installs are done with epoxy...

The only downside is that I can't get water temperature. But I didn't really care about that.

Attachments