• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Why do People Step Where they Do?

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I had some extended family out this weekend, and they continually abraded my newest pet peeve.

Now, I thought I did everything in my power to avoid this, even purchasing a model with a nice walkthrough. Buy why on earth does everybody insist on walking on the seats?

The Glastron has a huge swim platform, large back deck, a padded walk though, and a secure step on the inside. Yet 98% of the time when people go on board, the step on the cushion, and step over onto another cushion, often times commenting on how unstable "the boat" is.

My wife and I tell them as they board where to step, to step on the grey area, don't step on the seats, etc. They don't get it. I guess I would be less annoyed if the cushions weren't white(ish) to begin with.

Perhaps some orange cones to set on the seats when loading, forcing them to go around. I just don't get it.

I am half tempted to go to their house next Thanksgiving and walk on all the furniture so I don't touch the carpet, just to see how they like it! :devilhorns:

My extended family outings always cause lots of extra cleaning.

I say enjoy the boat. You will want to clean and condition the seats whether they step on them or not.

Just explain to them before they get on board, I always lay a towel on the bow seats as that's where we board my boat from the dock, then people know where to step.
And defiantly no footwear to be worn inside the boat, although a few times we've burnt our feet on the chrome poppers on the carpet due to the sun heating them :confused:

You may want to adopt a "naked feet" only posture @Britboater. If your seat cushions pop out easily you may want to remove the ones most stepped on until after boarding. You can always tell your passengers you were cleaning the boat for them (encouraging them to continue to keep it clean) or you can just say you were storing things away to give them more room. The last alternative is to smear your seats with peanut butter and tell them a dog got loose. Nobody wants to step in dog shit. :)

I am not losing sleep over it or anything, and I do spend 45 minutes after everybody leaved cleaning the seats.

We do have a strict "No Shoes" rule, and we have had a couple people balk at the idea,and I tell them they can have a seat on the shore and we will be back in a while. Most cave, and one has been left behind.

It just seems that the dirty foot prints are still there from dirty feet, and even the Boat Bling doesn't get it clean. All the vinyl has form texture so I avoid the Magic Eraser.

I like the towel idea. I have been trying to use the "Step on the grey area" and they look at you and stand on the seats any way. I give the older folks a lot of slack, but my younger siblings get a good ribbing, hoping that others listening get the idea.

Love the cone idea......lmao
cones.jpg

that's absurd.....that's like bringing red wine in a real wine glass on board!!! WALK THE PLANK!!

I think it's kinda funny that someone was stubborn enough to get left behind because they wouldn't take off their dang shoes! Love It!!

How about some fake doggy doo? I happily leave anyone behind that wont take off their shoes. Cam.

I was thinking about having some red "No Shoes Beyond This Point" stickers cut for the dock.

Next time you have a group like that, warn them again.
Then toss the first one that steps on a seat overboard.
The rest of the herd might learn.

;););)

Sometimes it seems like I'm wiping more bare footprints off the seats than shoe prints. I stopped worrying about it all a long time ago. Shoes, sandals, flip-flops, OK by me as long as you are quick about getting on and off and don't stand there yakkin' :arghh:

I do think I'll keep my hard-and-fast rule on no golf shoes tho..... :rolleyes:

:eek:WHAT??? No red wine and wine glasses! I ain't going without my red wine and glasses!:winkingthumbsup" I tell them not to step on the fiberglass because they will fall!:dead: The seats, well, they can figure it out. When we board from the bow sometimes, the seats get stepped on. I'm not too worried about it either @maboat ...had to give up golf due to back issues, dang good thing ain't it? :cigar:

I'm guilty of stepping just about everywhere on my boat. For example, I'm usually standing on the driver's seat or the headrests in the bow to put a tow rope on the tower. It's one of the reasons I put hydroturf just about everywhere on my boat. As a result I don't worry about people stepping on the seats but I will speak up if they start using the grab handles or jet nozzles as steps or when they use the bimini frame as a grab handle (this was more of a problem on the SX230).

I don't like people stepping on the seats either. Most times, I just sigh and tell myself, no big deal. If someone does it more than once or so, I will ask them not to. When boarding from the bow though, there really is no way around it. So, that doesn't bother me at all.

Is it due to them needing to hold on to something while stepping across and there is nothing to grab hold of from your center walkway? I am not familiar with your setup. So I ask..

One of the little-mentioned benefits of having a tower is that its an awesome grab handle!

Maybe that is how I should handle "selling" the tower mod.....grab handle :devilhorns:

The tower is forward sweeping, so there isn't much to grab there. It makes most sense to me to step onto the swim platform or flat stern, but the tend to step over the sweeping back onto the seat.

Back