• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will SeaDoo Get Back In Jet Boat Market? (Not Pontoons)

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A decade ago SeaDoo exited the jet boat market citing global sales decline in the jet boat industry as the primary reason. Now the recreational small boat industry is booming, well enough that SeaDoo invested millions into an all new platform with the Switch (pontoon) and they're sold out everywhere.

Purely speculative here, but do you think SeaDoo will ever get back into the jet boat market (not talking about pontoons)?

I miss my Speedster 150. I had it for 13 seasons and would love to get another. The Scarab 165 unfortunately has little to no storage compared to the Speedster 150 and they're priced at a ridiculous base MSRP of $37K before freight and prep (base engine, no options, etc). Not to mention the scant dealer/service network of Scarab.

SeaDoo built boats that were simply just a blast to drive and handled great around the dock. Yamaha's are unfortunately pretty much the exact opposite of that in my experience (and yes I have steering fins).

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree on the storage differences.

I own the 165. It's not a big boat, but it's on par with the Speedster for storage no issues there. Anchor locker, storage under the bench seat, huge storage in front of the driver and the big one is in the engine hatch. I'd argue more space back there. There's a large boat wide bag back there where I store 5 life jackets + towels and such. Plus there a huge tray area below where I store a bunch of other stuff like snorkeling gear.

But yes, they are pricey. Can't argue with that part. Considered buying a used one? You can shave a lot off the cost...

Last edited:
The old Sea-Doo boats were plagued with problems. Shore that up first and they might re enter.

The old Sea-Doo boats were plagued with problems. Shore that up first and they might re enter.

I had my Rotax 4-Tec powered SeaDoo boat for 13 seasons and over 1,000 hours. Zero problems. Absolutely bulletproof.

New scarab jet boats are what was sea doo. They bought the rights to sea doo boats years ago and you can see the design features in early scarabs, they have evolved since. And i am sure is sea doo had never sold their jet boat market they would be just as high in price if not close

Back