• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winch handle removal on newer Shoreland'r

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I took a quick look at my winch handle on my 2015 Shoreland'r trailer. I was wondering how easy it would be to remove it.
Has anyone removed their winch handle? It kind of looks like it's held on via a spring-lock mechanism of some sort. I didn't see any nuts or bolts.
How do you remove the handle?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plasma torch...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Me? Serious? Hardly ever...

With the plasma torch, easy to steal. :)

But really, I have no idea. Never tried to remove it...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed mine once, in my 190. Not on purpose though. :oops:

Taking a very sharp right turn, essentially jackknifing the trailer, the damn thing got squashed between the trailer tongue and the truck bumper...
And no, I could not figure out how to put it back on - I ended up getting a new jack...

But - glad you brought this up, I had the same question on my mind after someone mentioned theft and trailer parking.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup that's what this is about. Take it off to prevent theft, or maybe it's too difficult to get off, and as such it is kind of theft resistant.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Benny Sibbitt replaced the stock winch with a Fulton F2. Maybe he has some thoughts on removing just the handle.

By the way, I have locks on all my compartments, and had the threads on my winch and boat buddy mounting bolts welded to prevent theft but I'm never even considered removing just the winch h

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I couldn't tell you, I just took the whole thing off

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, it comes off easily so that you can move it from the high speed to the low speed crank as needed. Pull the spring lock away from the main part of the handle and simply slide it off. Would be very easy to steal if someone knew what they were looking for. Pretty sure someone has posted before about theirs being stolen.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose Here is my new "Miami mod" for trailer parking:
upload_2017-7-5_21-50-22.png

Chains wrapped around the folded tongue. Good luck picking that apart. It can be done, but a real bitch with out some serious tools.

--

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a winch like mine. The chap's come on a coyote trailer that uses dutton lainson winches and they have a spring loaded handle. Yes, I remove mine as my boat is wet slipped and the trailer is stored in the marina yard. Squeeze the spring end and the handle slides off. This is mine- https://www.dutton-lainson.com/206305.pdf