• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing <should fogging oil kill the engine?>

Steve B71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should the motor completely shut down when fogging??? I did mine yesterday and it just hiccuped like it was gonna die but never did... thx in advance

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The old way of doing it was spray into the intake until it stalled the engine. But on three and four cylinder engines, it takes quite a bit to suffocate them. We resorted to spraying down the intake with two cans at a time to get it to stall.

If you get it to hiccup, then you know you have the intake fogged, then you can kill it, and spray down the cylinders to get the combustion chamber. If it's running, it's burning fogging oil off as fast as you spray it in, so it does very little to the cylinders. It's why I stopped fogging four stokes. I just do my two stroke skis these days.

Good luck,

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it's running, it's burning fogging oil off as fast as you spray it in, so it does very little to the cylinders. It's why I stopped fogging four stokes
+1 This is why I don't fog through the intake. I only remove the plugs and fog into the cylinders. I figure the rings and cylinders are more critical since it is fuel injected, rather than the intake valves and old school throttle body.

Last edited:

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read somewhere that on CARB boats you not supposed to fog through intake, burning oil will damage the CAT over time, not sure if it's true. I have 2016 AR190 CARB do I only fog into cylinders

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Doesn't hurt if it does, but usually sputters.
Just in case you didn't see this..

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also use this to fog the intake, directs it to the right towards the intake so it doesn't soak air filters. I use to take off air filters, but takes some finagling.
3F0200D4-17D3-4303-AC58-074A7FFAFA56.jpeg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read somewhere that on CARB boats you not supposed to fog through intake, burning oil will damage the CAT over time, not sure if it's true. I have 2016 AR190 CARB do I only fog into cylinders
Who was it that told you that your 190 didn't have a fuel injected engine? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you should have the same 1.8ltr FI engine that the rest of us do. There were California versions, but I believe that just added a catch can.