• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wire type help

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, I need help on knowledge of wire. I purchased the kenwood amp and sub. The harness has two black ground wires and two yellow wires for power and the blue turn on wire. Fuses already built into the two yellow wires. The wires are 18 awg so im wondering if anyone has a good link to the tinned wire needed? also should I keep it 18 awg all the way to power source?

The speaker harness is typical stock speaker wire only 12" as the power harness so what wire do I get, any links?

ugh....I can rebuild most of a boat but I hate wires....lol

I can add a pic of the harnesses if that's helpful.

Thanks

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just did an amp and new speakers (not a sub though)... I used Kicker KW1620 wire for the 2 new speakers and for whatever additional wire I needed to connect the existing harness to the new amp (about 2 ft pig tails). I also butt connected and covered the connection with heat shrink to keep out the elements.

As for amp power/ground I would suggest a larger gauge wire, I used 4 awg and ran it all the way back to the battery/switch. There is a pretty big debate around tinned vs. Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) wire that you can decide if you want research. I went with OFC welding wire for my power/ground, ran me about $1/foot. I don't boat in salt water and all my wires are pretty well protected so I didn't feel like I needed to spend the extra for tinned for those wires.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use 4 gauge for power wires

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Power harness.....so its much smaller than 8awg....just solder them together? need two separate 8awg since TWO yellow power wires?

power.jpg

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you provide a link to the amp so we can see what you are working with? Seems this amp isn't needing alot of power.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Amp kits rarely contain the correct wire for a boat. Our runs are far too long compared to a car. I would think that cable isn't long enough too. But that amp doesn't appear to have any filters or gain settings on it, so it may not take much for wiring.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You should be good to run the same size wire that the harness requires from the battery to the amp. This is just like the powered Bazooka tube I had in my old boat. It has the small gauge wire for power. The amp only puts out 200watts max. A headunit will claim 200watts max as well and uses the same guage for power. I think you are fine to extend the harness power to the battery for power.