• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

would love to visit Michigan, but where?

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Grand Haven looks real nice. Lots of boating options and only 3 hours from Chicago (or up to 6 hours depending on time to get through Chicago for us north siders :mad: ).

Anyone been there and can recommend a place to stay that has on site boat slips to rent? I did some quick searching and came up with a couple possibilities. But better to ask as someone might know of the hotel to stay at with great boat slips and a wonderful pool and bar.
Looks like you can do short term slip rentals at Grand Haven Municipal Marina, which is great and is right downtown. That would give you freedom to stay wherever you like and just drive to the boat when you want to go out. https://www.midnrreservations.com/GrandHavenMarina?List
Old Boys Brewhouse also has a couple open slips. Might be worth seeing if they would let you tie up there for a few days becuase it's connected by boardwalk to the Holiday Inn. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don't go lakes unless they have a sandbar to sit at. Here are a few samples.
My wife always mentioned visiting Michigan, I don't know anything about it. I would like to go up and visit and scout out some potential lakes.

Any suggestions: not to big of a lake (like lake erie) great to cruise and hangout, maybe some nice sites to see

Silver Lake is gorgeous, not very big but still fun and is right up against popular Michigan Sand Dunes, also Highins Lake is another great option!

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm really liking some of these posts on here because some are within a short drive for me. My friend was talking to me about Lake St. Clair and the Jobbie Nooner on Gull Island? Can anyone shed some light on this interesting event? Are you Michigan guys planning any lake outings because "I WANT IN ON THIS TOO"...ha ha ha!

Team Bristow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not been to Jobbie Nooner in several years (you can probably tell why by my profile picture) but it is a ridiculous party on the sandbar that surrounds the island. You have to travel a couple miles across the lake to get there and you get within a couple hundred yards of Canada where you can get in trouble if you cross without your passport. If you look up the definition of debauchery you will see a pic of Jobbie Nooner. Search it in YouTube if you are both at home and ALONE, NSFW. Hundreds, if not thousands of big boats that are mostly overloaded with people of ALL ages ready to drink all day in the sun. You will see every kind of boat up there but most of them are 30'+ and many are $1MM +. It is worth the trip but you want to be close to the outside or you will get trapped in for the night. We have been talking about going this year as well. If we do we will be on my buddy's boat that he just brought up from FL. Ocean LED made a video of it a while back, it is named Nauti Toy

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
haven't looked at anything regarding that party on the island yet since I am at work and following your warnings ;)

but looking at Lake St. Clair, that looks to be a tough lake to boat on. Are there really patrols out there nailing people for crossing the boarder? Seems like it would be very easy to do.

upload_2016-3-16_10-26-5.png

Team Bristow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They don't seem to bother you unless you are fishing or going on land.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't let Trump know about this dotted line!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Canadians will be forced to pay for a net. Haha

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the eastern shores of Lake Michigan you are going to find beautiful inlets with lakes and rivers from New Buffalo to Mackinaw. The big lake is lined with white sand beaches and an abundance of natural beauty as well as great harbors with plenty of bars and restaurants. From the south some of my favorites are Saugatuck and the Kalamazoo River. Continuing north comes Holland and lake Macatawa,really beautiful! Further North brings you to Grand Haven and Spring Lake (there is a Holiday Inn on the water). Next stop Muskegon and Mona Lake. Further north to White Lake and the towns of Whitehall and Montague, both worth a visit. Exploring farther, I like to think of it as the gateway to the north. Water gets colder, towns get smaller and in the summer the lines get longer. You will find some really great harbor towns like Pentwater, Ludington, Manistee, onekima, Arcadia, Frankfort and Leland. Wrapping around Lelaneau you can run south to North Port, Suttons Bay, Elk Rapids and the big town of traverse City. All great places to spend some great summer days. Understand, it's Lake Michigan and we are taking about a freshwater sea and although often nice and calm. The waves can be surfable so beware it can be a rough ride. If you like diving bring a wetsuit and explore the many shipwrecks along the shores. Some of the best northern Michigan inland lakes (and there are many are Crystal Lake, Big Glen Lake (Sleeping Bear Dunes) Lake Lelaneau ,Torch Lake, and Lake Charlavoix in the north west. The inland waterway in the north center part of the state can lead you out the Cheboygan and to Mackinaw Island. All great boating and clean clear water with breathtaking scenery. Hope you all come through for a visit and boat safely!

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm visiting Michigan from July 6th-July 17th and towing our AR190. As highlighted below, @JTC1016, knows some great places! Thanks for the recommendations! We will be doing some mean Lake hopping!!

@JTC1016

"Hi Ismael,
There are some really nice lakes here and I think you'll have a great trip. The super clear water is up north in Michigan but we have some nice ones. If you're looking for good restaurants Muskegon lake is a good option. It's about a 4000 acre lake and has 3 good restaurants on it. They are The Lakehous, Dockers, and Bear Lake Tavern. Bear Lake Tavern is in the channel between Muskegon Lake and Bear Lake. They are all good. This lake also has a quick and easy channel to Lake Michigan, and there is a state park just outside the channel with public beaches that are great for anchoring.
Spring Lake is nice too. That's where I live and it's only about a half hour from Holland. There is a restaurant called Jack,s and a Brewery called Old Boys that are both accessible by boat off the channel. The channel to Lake Michigan on Spring Lake is a bit longer and goes through downtown Grand Haven, but that's worth a visit too. Grand Haven is a great little lake town and you can dock right downtown on the sea wall. Muskegon, Spring Lake and Lake Michigan are where I spend all my boat time.
I've never been on Lake Macatawa so I can't offer much there. I've been up to Silver Lake and the area is fun. The lake is small and crowded though.
All have municipal launches that you can use for usually about $10 or less.
I would recommend downloading some NOAA charts for the lakes you plan to visit because while some of these lakes have shipping ports, they can get shallow in areas. If you have the charts you can at least look them over before you go out.
I hope you guys have a great trip! July is a great time to be in Michigan. If you have any other questions let me know."

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Check out Diamond Lake just south of Cassopolis, MI. We went there a few years ago and it was VERY nice.