• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Would you chose the Yamaha Wake Wedge or new Booster Package?

YammyCammy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm about to close on a new 2018 242X. Part of the deal is the inclusion of a wake enhancer. I have the choice between he prior wake wedge or the latest booster package (enhancer, board, rope).

I have no need for the board or the rope as I already have 3.

Anyone have experience with both? I can't find an online comparison.

Videos "look" like both enhancements are similar and the new booster much cleaner to install.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No wakeboosters have been sold to public yet, however if you check watersports section a member has made. DIY booster and looks pretty nice.

If you want known product that will work get them to throw in wake wedge by Gatlin products and the swim deck bag your gtg.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is a really tough one.

I’m going to get a booster and try it as my first bet, but until we see more on the water I’ve mostly just got my fingers crossed that it’s the right call!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm about to close on a new 2018 242X. Part of the deal is the inclusion of a wake enhancer. I have the choice between he prior wake wedge or the latest booster package (enhancer, board, rope).

Videos "look" like both enhancements are similar and the new booster much cleaner to install.
Hard to tell!
I have a feeling that the Wake Wedge may remain, at least for now, the best tool for the best/largest wave behind a Yamaha jet boat, when combined with the Gatlin swim deck bag.
However, the Booster could be super cool if it works and especially if it works without ballast or with less ballast which is always a hassle, even if the wave is not the best.

--

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is a number of dealers that order wake wedges and transom bags even after the release of the wake booster. Not sure if people are getting them to include them in the deal but whatever you can get free try for it.

The real question is what kind of wave do you want ? So far the wakebooster marketing is very little which smells a little fishy. When you come out with a product show real people using it to test not just a paid pro rider and photo shopping a few pics which people pointed out. There is 2 scenarios like @swatski said it will either be a low key cleaner wave with the no ballast. Or it will work awesome with ballast ????? My wake on my 2008 AR230 was untouchable and now we have a 2017 242X and it's pretty badass. We only use wedge locker ballast and transom bag of we have a few people with us so set up is fast. I know I am completely basis but I love to surf and I am picky with my wave. I know the difference when something isn't right. Good luck on your new boat you will absolutely love the X !

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah its a tough call to make right now, I'm at this crossroads myself right now. If I was a boat that had all same side surfers I would likely be looking strongly at the Wake Wedge and Swim Deck Bag combo as I don't think there is anything out there now or coming that will be able to equal it from what I've seen. The issue for me though is that we have boat full of mixed side surfers, I don't like the idea of having to schedule the day on the lake around the order of who can surf when cause of the complexity of switching sides. I much prefer the day being directed by "I feel like tubing right now", "can I surf next", "I want to ski right now but I'll surf after we are done tubing later". So for me personally, the advantages of easily swapping sides and activities out weigh the need for a "perfect" large wake, as long as the wake is actually surfable. When I saw Steve Larivee (full adult, beginner surfer) from BoatTest.com surf with the wakebooster fairly easily that's what pushed me over the edge to take a chance on the wake booster and board combo in the hopes that it fits this compromise for our boating family.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

(Disclosure, I don't actually own either as I'm trying to decide as well) The Gatlin wake wedge seems pretty pricey considering it appears to be about $100 in parts starboard and stainless parts. But they sell it for $1000. The yamaha wake booster is all metal not permanent and can be used on either side. Big plus, it comes with a pretty nice surfboard. Kind of a no brainer for me if the wake booster performs as well as the boattest review states.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Not a hard decision at all. Best surf wave behind a Yamaha twin; transom bag and wake wedge. Period, point blank. Physics is physics, sink the surf side and clean the wave.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
looks to be permanent.
Not sure what you mean by permanent?? We take ours off every outing. Pull 2 pins and it’s off in your hands.

There is a bracket that mounts on your boarding ladder bracket. So, that’s 2 small bolts, easily removed if trading/selling the boat. Maybe this is what you’re thinking of?

There’s a wake wedge install video on their site, I believe... if you’re interested.

Anyway, till someone actually has a booster in hand, hard to know what it really does. :)

There is a new reversible wake wedge for switching sides. Saw it in action once, but didn’t see the details of what it took to switch sides.

lonestarJB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Does anyone have advise on Wedge vs Booster for the single jet (2020 AR 195)? I will have goofy riders, but if the wedge is really that much better then they will just have to deal.

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone have advise on Wedge vs Booster for the single jet (2020 AR 195)? I will have goofy riders, but if the wedge is really that much better then they will just have to deal.
I’m pretty sure they make a wedge that can switch sides

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The answer is Gantlin Products doesn't produce a wake wedge for the 19ft models. Although they do sell the swim deck ballast bag. It's been their opinion that the 19ft models, with the single center jet, don't suffer from the dual jetwash problems of the twin engine models. There 19' WakeBooster looks promising though.

Talk to me before you buy the board with it. I sell the same Slingshot boards minus the Yamaha branding and discount codes available. Shoot me a message and I'll direct you to the best option for your needs.

lonestarJB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The answer is Gantlin Products doesn't produce a wake wedge for the 19ft models. Although they do sell the swim deck ballast bag. It's been their opinion that the 19ft models, with the single center jet, don't suffer from the dual jetwash problems of the twin engine models. There 19' WakeBooster looks promising though.

Talk to me before you buy the board with it. I sell the same Slingshot boards minus the Yamaha branding and discount codes available. Shoot me a message and I'll direct you to the best option for your needs.
Thanks for the info. I tried to go through the website and they don't have an option to purchase the wedge for 19ft. I guess that makes my decision easier!