• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2022 Waverunner - EX Deluxe vs VX Cruiser

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hello - does anyone have any advice on the 2022 Yamaha EX Deluxe vs the VX Cruiser? I have never owned a waverunner and have very limited experience. I live in Florida on an intercoastal water way with direct access to the Gulf of Mexico. I like the size of the EX Deluxe as I am about 5'3" and 130 lbs, however, the dealer said that the VX Cruiser may but be a lot more stable. The weight difference appears to only be 79 pounds so I am wondering about this. I will probably be alone or have 1 other person max on with me, rarely 3. Appreciate any views on this.
I know the storage is very small on the EX model but I am hoping that the bow accessory add on bag will help. Does anyone know the dimensions of this bag?
Lastly, I find it odd that there is no way to lock the engine on the EX model. Is the toggle key unique to each pwc or can anyone with a similar toggle key simply start up the EX Deluxe and drive away? If so how would one secure it in a public area? Is there an after market product to increase security?
Thank you for any tips/ advice.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I own an EX Deluxe and it is not even close to as stable as my FZS which is close to the hull on the VX. Its not the weight that makes it unstable its the hull design. I would go with the VX for sure.

The EX has no dry storage at all. Its all capable of getting water in it.
The front compartment is useless

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thank you. Have you found a way to lock or secure the EX Deluxe when not in use? Or is the toggle key specific to each pwc and enough security?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. Have you found a way to lock or secure the EX Deluxe when not in use? Or is the toggle key specific to each pwc and enough security?
What is the toggle key you are referring to? The Tether? If so, they are all the same.
Mine has no key or way to shut it off. My FZS has the key fob to lock it and put it in "L mode"

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Yes sorry it must be the Tether. If they are all the same that means if you go to a marina for example, there is no way to lock the engine and anyone with a Yamaha EX Tether could start it and drive off? If yes, what do people do to secure it?
Also I was thinking that the EX would be easier to handle for a smaller person, but it sounds like to VX would be ok? I don't plan to be doing much speed driving in it ...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No personal experience here, but a lot of the waverunners we see at the marinas use a simple cable lock from the bow eye into the jet dock.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes sorry it must be the Tether. If they are all the same that means if you go to a marina for example, there is no way to lock the engine and anyone with a Yamaha EX Tether could start it and drive off? If yes, what do people do to secure it?
Also I was thinking that the EX would be easier to handle for a smaller person, but it sounds like to VX would be ok? I don't plan to be doing much speed driving in it ...
As far as I am aware, on the Yamaha line, the “tether” is just generic. In theory, you could use a pair of needle nose pliers, a plastic shim, or even your fingers to defeat the “shut of switch”. There is no “key”. The intent of the tether is to shut down the engine if you were to fall off the ski. Some of the Sea-Doo models using a “coded” tether that is electronically paired to the ECU.

As Neutron mentioned, in the past Yamaha used a key fob remote that could lock/unlock the ECU and also put the ECU in “Learner” mode which limits RPMs. The downside here is the key fob is not waterproof and needs to be protected from the elements.
I believe the new Yamaha models now have a touchscreen, and this functionality is controlled by a PIN.

Have you considered checking out a “jet-ski” rental place and seeing what models they offer, and taking one out for a spin?
I have a 2016 VX Cruiser HO, and find it to be very stable, easy to maneuver, and handling is very predictable. My MIL is about your height, and she hasn’t had an issue with operating my VX, or my FIL’s Sea-Doo.

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thanks for this and great idea about the rentals, I will rent both models and try them out.
Thank you so much for your input everyone! Much appreciated.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All Yamaha pwc and jet boats use the same safety lanyard width wise. If you want to bump the engine on an ex and it doesn’t have a way to disable the ignition simply pry up the kill switch that the safety lanyard normally plugs into, in a pinch like if you lost the Lanyard push a nickel or something of similar width into the opening to keep the engine running. Between the ex and Vx, The VX is the only way to go if you want to be able to disable the ignition. I don’t know for sure what the vx uses but it shares the same hull shape and seat as the gp1800. the gp1800 has an electronic lockout which is controlled via hard / actual buttons in conjunction with the display. The fx line uses touch screens

as for stability the ex is Yamaha’s entry level line so it is definitely won’t be as stable or have as many bells and whistles as other lines with the FX being at the top (luxury line). Not only are the upper lines heavier, the hulls are slightly different in length, width, shape and the number and position of the chimes/strakes (protrusions), all of which factor into stability.

my wife and I have a new gp1800 and a new fxho. There is little difference in the hull length, width and weight but the gp is a lot more responsive / less stable and therefore is a much wetter ride as well. I assume the ride on the ex is wetter than that on the Vx / gp.

there are a lot of video reviews on YouTube. I recommend that you not only check out such videos but that you rent a few pwcs before you decide to buy one. Even though the ex is entry level it’s still going to cost over $6k without the trailer. The MSRP is just a guide or baeseline price. It excludes tax (hundreds to thousands), dealer prep/markup (usually thousands) and a trailer (around $1500 here in CA last season). Well worth the money if you are into it otherwise (expensive) trailer queens / lawn ornaments if you are not.

Last edited:

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Many thanks!

brokitansky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a couple EX deluxe models. As others have said, the biggest difference between the EX and VX is in hull length/design with an emphasis on stability for the VX. I use my skis on a smaller lake, but if I was going to use it exclusively on the intracoastal or ocean I wouldn’t even consider the EX and would go straight to the VX for choppier waters like that. I might even consider one of the FX models. The cruising that you will be doing on the intracoastal will just be much more comfortable and therefore enjoyable on the longer hull of the VX, and you would probably benefit from some of the higher-end features like cruise control as well.

Florida195fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Posted this on a similar thread. VX all the way.

I owned a pair of 21' EX Sport/Deluxe. I absolutely hated them, if a single rider was not so bad. The second you have a passenger the Waverunner was super tipsy, handled like crap, and just plain not fun. I sold them and got my boat just a few months back. When I ordered them from the dealer, they told me to spend a little extra and get the VX models. Should have listened, I took a spin on one at the sand bar and it was night and day better over the EX.

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have a couple EX deluxe models. As others have said, the biggest difference between the EX and VX is in hull length/design with an emphasis on stability for the VX. I use my skis on a smaller lake, but if I was going to use it exclusively on the intracoastal or ocean I wouldn’t even consider the EX and would go straight to the VX for choppier waters like that. I might even consider one of the FX models. The cruising that you will be doing on the intracoastal will just be much more comfortable and therefore enjoyable on the longer hull of the VX, and you would probably benefit from some of the higher-end features like cruise control as well.

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC

LisaL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thanks for your views