• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212ss port engine overheat

agarabaghi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm trying to track down my overheating issue.
So far I have both cooling holes peeing off the side of the boat pretty evenly. Even once the alarm has gone off in the port engine and it enters limp mode the water temp coming out of the pee holes are pretty even.

1) cleaned strainers at jet behind the metal plate
2) cleaned intake grates.
3) replaced thermostats

I pulled the hose from the top of the oil cooler and ran engine for a second and water comes out (going to pee hole) so it seems like nothing is blocking?

Looking for ideas / sensor to replace?

Is there anything I can take a temp reading off to see where it's running hot?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Any chance you sucked up sand or muck? Are you in salt water?

Have you reset the battery a few times to make sure it's not a stored code?

Do you have an IR temp gun - cheap on Amazon if not. If so - run both in the water and take readings from your exhaust manifolds, comparing the difference.

agarabaghi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Its mostly in Freshwater.
I pulled the hose off the oil cooler right before it goes to the pee hole, and it was flowing good. The pee out the side is equal between both engines.

I reset the battery and it goes away, but if i run it for a while it throws the code and goes into lump mode again.

I have an IR gun, and on the water when the code went off, both engines were identical temps. 160-165 at the manifold. 202 - 215 at the bottom of the engine, 99F at the sensor on the exhaust, 165-175 at the cylinders. Both engines showing the same temps roughly.

My thoughs were to swap the sensor between the 2 engines and see if the code moves with it.

Any tricks to ensure theres nothing stuck some where, I would expect the flow to be affected if something was jammed / clogged?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 202 - 215 at the bottom of the engine reading seems suspect, I think most overheats occur when such temps register near the cylinder water jackets.

agarabaghi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm assuming there is a line going there I could check and clean. Does anyone have a diagram?

Also is there a place I can get the service manual for a 2015 212ss paid or free? Preferably an online copy.

Dicknows32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So not sure as I have an AR 220 and still not even sure this is the issue but I have heard these boats have a mind of their own when it comes to voltage. My wife accidentally turned the batteries in parallel and it started throwing the overheat warning on the port side engine.