• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212X RPM questions

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a 2018 Yamaha 212X, and I am having a hard time running both engine around the same RPM.
sometimes, it's very close, but yesterday, at times, the port engine was running 5-600 lower than the starboard one.
Not all the times, just at times. then I adjust the throttles a little, and it would be fine.

Any idea or suggestions?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
You sure its the port side that is running with lower rpms? Typically its the starboard engine that runs about 200-300 rpm slower under normal conditions because of they way the pump loads on that side vs the other. If it is indeed the starboard running lower rpms then something is definitely off. Here are some common things to look at.

1. Spark plugs, these engines are very sensitive to fouled plugs, a lot of us change them every year by default.
2. Throttle cables. Check to make sure the throttle sensors (one on each engine bay side wall) are hitting the stops at the same time - otherwise adjust them.
3. Check for any foreign objects in the pumps, something as insignificant as a candy bar wrapper can have an effect on pump efficiency.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hello,
I have a 2018 Yamaha 212X, and I am having a hard time running both engine around the same RPM.
sometimes, it's very close, but yesterday, at times, the port engine was running 5-600 lower than the starboard one.
Not all the times, just at times. then I adjust the throttles a little, and it would be fine.
Any idea or suggestions?
There may be nothing wrong. Since we have independent handles for each throttle, they are rarely in perfect sync just based on a visual look at the position of the handles. The throttles need a little fine tuning depending on wind direction, water current, waves, etc. I was often hunting for matched rpm's on the gauges all the time when the boat was new. Then I realized my ears can do the work and that I no longer need to look at the rpm gauges, I can hear when the motors are in sync or not and adjust the throttles accordingly. When I just need to tweak, I can modulate my palm slightly to get a little more/less till they audibly sync. Hardly think about it now. I've noticed that the throttle handles tend to hold around 5000rpm and below no problem, and at WOT no problem. But in between vibrations seem to let them slowly back off, so when cruising I usually have my hand on the throttles to maintain rpm and speed. And it's safer if I'm ready to accelerate or cut speed. Even with Cruise Assist on, you can still move the throttles and continue to cruise (unless you drop below 3000rpm and cruise cancels).

Now if you find the handles are quite a ways off from each other at matching rpm, then MidnightRider could be right about the cables or plugs or pump issues. You'll just need to decide if there's actually a problem, or just getting used to how she handles.
:)

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
You sure its the port side that is running with lower rpms? Typically its the starboard engine that runs about 200-300 rpm slower under normal conditions because of they way the pump loads on that side vs the other. If it is indeed the starboard running lower rpms then something is definitely off. Here are some common things to look at.

1. Spark plugs, these engines are very sensitive to fouled plugs, a lot of us change them every year by default.
2. Throttle cables. Check to make sure the throttle sensors (one on each engine bay side wall) are hitting the stops at the same time - otherwise adjust them.
3. Check for any foreign objects in the pumps, something as insignificant as a candy bar wrapper can have an effect on pump efficiency.

thank you for the response! By the pumps, do you mean where the clean out ports are?
i am taking the boat for maintenance after my next trip (going to Catalina), but I think it may be on the normal side? I would think that if one engine is working faster than the other, it would pull on one side.

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
thank you for the response! By the pumps, do you mean where the clean out ports are?
i am taking the boat for maintenance after my next trip (going to Catalina), but I think it may be on the normal side? I would think that if one engine is working faster than the other, it would pull on one side.
And yes, I’m sure it’s the port side (left)

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
There may be nothing wrong. Since we have independent handles for each throttle, they are rarely in perfect sync just based on a visual look at the position of the handles. The throttles need a little fine tuning depending on wind direction, water current, waves, etc. I was often hunting for matched rpm's on the gauges all the time when the boat was new. Then I realized my ears can do the work and that I no longer need to look at the rpm gauges, I can hear when the motors are in sync or not and adjust the throttles accordingly. When I just need to tweak, I can modulate my palm slightly to get a little more/less till they audibly sync. Hardly think about it now. I've noticed that the throttle handles tend to hold around 5000rpm and below no problem, and at WOT no problem. But in between vibrations seem to let them slowly back off, so when cruising I usually have my hand on the throttles to maintain rpm and speed. And it's safer if I'm ready to accelerate or cut speed. Even with Cruise Assist on, you can still move the throttles and continue to cruise (unless you drop below 3000rpm and cruise cancels).

Now if you find the handles are quite a ways off from each other at matching rpm, then MidnightRider could be right about the cables or plugs or pump issues. You'll just need to decide if there's actually a problem, or just getting used to how she handles.
:)

Thank you for the answer. Yes, I see or rather hear that the engines sound pretty close. And taking the boat to the lake and ocean, I have different results.
i am going to take the boat for maintenance in a couple of weeks, but I think you may be right.
minder 5k, the difference is really small. It’s really I et the 5k that I see it happen. The boat doesn’t seem to pull one way or the other, so I would think that if one engine is not going as fast, it would pull to that side.
To get the same rpm I have to have the throttles to be about 1/8 of an inch at worse. But then again, I can hear and feel the difference