• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 212x throttle issues

ChadD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have a 21 Yamaha 212x with only a couple hours on it. The first day I took it out I got a check engine alarm and lost throttle response to one of my engines. After turning the batteries off and resetting everything it worked again for a while until it did it again. I could not reset it no matter how many times I turned the batteries off and restarting. I limped it back to the marina on one engine and took it in. They didn’t find anything and “flashed the cpu.” I took it out a 2nd time and got the alarm again. This time it cleared after turning the batteries off and back on and restarting. Both times this has happened is when I’m in single throttle mode and I throw throttle hard in reverse. Not sure what to think. The mechanic stated it could of been from something getting stuck in the gate but I had checked it and it was free of debris. Seems to me there is an electrical issue. Anyone have the same issue and have a solution?

212xd Yamaha 21ft brand new, same issues, it's at the dealer for the 2nd time for this issue.

I still have not gotten a clear answer yet on the issue. Have you?

Can you take it out of single throttle mode and see if it works without error?

Can you take it out of single throttle mode and see if it works without error?
You can take it out drive mode and put it in single lever mode, but the engine that was in Forward will be the only engine you have control of. The engine that was in Neutral in Drive mode, you still don't have no control of it, with the levers.

I still have not gotten a clear answer yet on the issue. Have you?
No, it's been at the Dealers since Tuesday, haven't heard anything.

You can take it out drive mode and put it in single lever mode, but the engine that was in Forward will be the only engine you have control of. The engine that was in Neutral in Drive mode, you still don't have no control of it, with the levers.

What I'm saying is, what if, upon turning the batteries on and Connext booting up, you switched off "single lever mode" then shut everything off, then turned it back on again. Will it stay in duel (default) throttle mode, and does that correct the issue? I'm thinking that maybe there's a software bug in single lever mode?

What I'm saying is, what if, upon turning the batteries on and Connext booting up, you switched off "single lever mode" then shut everything off, then turned it back on again. Will it stay in duel (default) throttle mode, and does that correct the issue? I'm thinking that maybe there's a software bug in single lever mode?
It happens in both single and dual mode. Sometimes it will clear if you reset the batteries, sometimes it will not. The only way I can get it to reset sometimes is to manually cycles the gate’s at the cable box behind the dash.

What a pain all the technology is causing. I wish I would order a No tech version of these boats like my 2013. At least I know how to fix that. Posts like this are the reason Im avoiding an upgrade.

I’ve had the exact same issue on my 212XD. What I’ve been doing is turning power off at disconnects then turn back on after 30 seconds. Go back to the engine that is giving me the problem and moving the bucket up and down a little bit. Wife turns key on and when I feel bucket raise I know problem is fixed. Not sure if it’s linkage issue or software.

I would purchase a Service Manual and find the ground wires on the back of the connext and run a separate ground/to battery not having proper ground can cause digital/computer systems in to a frizzy. If new ground solves problem you can find new ground behind dash(using wire diagram) or trace the ground wires from connext all over the boat/not easy.

Did anyone get a resolve ?

Yes last year. I kept sending the boat back to the dealership and a Yamaha tech came down. I believe they put a service bulletin on the issue but can’t remember exactly what it said. They made another gate adjustment and I haven’t had issues since. It’s been a year and probably 40 hours since.

They put what they described as a new control module on my boat 2 weeks ago and it appears to finally have solved the problem after a year of issues. Yamaha sent dealer new settings for all shifter adjustments, apparently they must be very precise and takes two techs to setup.

Back