• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha 242 Steering Cable “Sleeve”

Ruffinifam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My husband was installing our new Thrustvectors and Lateral Thrusters yesterday and it appears that the protective sleeve on our steering cable has become disconnected from the boat. Can this be re-attached? We have a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.D92D1FC1-FEFB-4857-A3F1-296986CFA466.jpeg

You most likely now have water intrusion up into the steering cable, which will eventually rust and cause failure. Perhaps someone on here has reattached them with success and could suggest a resolution. If it is possible you would also need to lubricate it all the way from there to the helm to force out any water.

You may be able to push it back on and use some stainless steel tube clamps to secure the boot over end for now. I would still recommend lubricating it, there are some threads on here about it.

If it is not salvageable you would need to replace the steering cables.

I’d be looking at the swelling anywhere stern of that connector. If so then it probably got bound up and put pressure on that area. I’d do a new cable and be sure the other ones don’t need it. Ask the technician to be sure the pump steering cables are grounded.

@HangOutdoors water gets in that area its not a water tight . its just a cable guide you can take a rubber hose slip it over that area put some small clamps on it so it stays in place. The best thing you can do to keep the cables from seizing is move them while the boat sits in storage.

Same issue! Was about to install the Thrust Vectors, and sleeve was loose, just like the picture. After some research on this forum, I ended securing with a small zip tie. Worked great! There's a bit of a groove and the zip tie sits right on it. Fixed! I also ended lubricating the rod with marine grease as well as the ball joints on the steering plate tie bar (bar that connects the right jet pump with the steering plate. Everything moves so much easier now.

Back