• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR 195 weak spark help

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good afternoon,

I hope everyone is enjoying Labor day weekend.

I was out on the water today and my boat would crank but not start. I replaced the plugs and was able to get it going. When I got home I checked the plugs again and realized on getting a very weak spark. It is a light orange in color.

I'm in the process of checking grounds etc etc.

Jas anyone else had this issue. If so what should I check.

Thanks again for your help

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Odd issue on a boat that age, that is certain.

Battery have water in it, all charged, etc? This happens on all plugs or just one? Plugs gapped correctly?

There are occasional reports of corrosion in the connectors. As you are checking around the wiring, I would pull those off and see if you have any issues there.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gapped the plugs to .032 they were at .035

All plugs appeared to have a mist of water. Water was not shooting out of all cylinders.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, that's not good. You're sure it is water and not oil or gas on the plugs?

Water would explain the weak spark. The water is shorting out the plug. But, separately... water getting in the cylinder means usually that you have a leak in the engine (like the head gasket or a crack or something) or that you have water in the gas.

So, starting small... I would add some SeaFoam to the gas. See if you can get it started and warmed up. Then pull the plugs again and see how they look.