• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR230 2005 start problem

juha hanski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys!

After several hours and many six packs of beer I have not managed to fix this problem so hoping to get some help here.
I have Yamaha AR 230 2005 and the driver side engine wont start. The other side engine works normally. When I started the engine it first rotated but didn't start. I kept on trying to start again but now the engine wont even rotate, it only moves/swings the engine when starting. After that there came smoke and it smelled like electric burn.

I started looking into this if there is a fault in the minus cable (ground) and founded out that the cable between the engines was loose. I tightened the cable but the situation is still the same, the motor wont rotate. I am thinking that the problem could be in the start motor, but not sure.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks for all the help!

Juha

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good connections at the starter? The + and - cables connect to the starter on starboard side of engine below exhaust manifold. You may be able to feel if one or both are loose.