• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR240 STBD Check Engine

Retired Greg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check starboard engine warning time today while on the bayou. Luckily close to the dock and trailered easy with the other engine.

Hooked up the hose to flush and diagnose in the driveway and same warning lights up. Before cranking, I notice that when the water is running it flows out the side port easy and normal. When I crank, the warning comes on after about 10 seconds but I am noticing a much reduced flow out of the side port. At first, it was a trickle and now it’s slightly more but definitely not what I assess to be a healthy flow.

Understand the proprietary nature of Yamaha’s check engine diagnosis and I’ll reluctantly take it in if needed, but I’m hoping someone has experienced this before and has a couple of techniques to check out which may fix the glitch.

First run of the season, flushed and ran fine last weekend for the preseason checkout. Engine ran for a good 5-10 minutes with no issues before we pulled into our hang out spot. No prior issues with either engine, or the boat overall for that matter.

thanks much!!
-Greg

I wouldn’t turn the water on until the motor is running, your going to hydro lock the motor. When is the last time you did a oil change and new plugs? Check the clean out ports/drive shaft, and the water pick up screen in the back of the pump?

Cycling the battery switch 5 or 6 times will clear the warning if it was a erroneous error.

I wouldn’t turn the water on until the motor is running, your going to hydro lock the motor. When is the last time you did a oil change and new plugs? Check the clean out ports/drive shaft, and the water pick up screen in the back of the pump?

Cycling the battery switch 5 or 6 times will clear the warning if it was a erroneous error.
About 18 months since the oil change (we don’t run very hard or long). Ports and drive shaft are clear. Need a point out for the “screen in the back of the pump.”
Cycled the battery at least a dozen times and off overnight. Same warning after 5 seconds of cranking.

About 18 months since the oil change (we don’t run very hard or long). Ports and drive shaft are clear. Need a point out for the “screen in the back of the pump.”
Cycled the battery at least a dozen times and off overnight. Same warning after 5 seconds of cranking.

I’ll try to take a picture today, open your throttle up (engine off) and look in the back of the pump with a flash light. I believe on the left hand side, inside the pump there is a square box with a screen over it, it’s where your cooling water is pushed up into the system when you are in the water. Did you check your oil levels?

I’ll try to take a picture today, open your throttle up (engine off) and look in the back of the pump with a flash light. I believe on the left hand side, inside the pump there is a square box with a screen over it, it’s where your cooling water is pushed up into the system when you are in the water. Did you check your oil levels?
I see it. Doesn’t look obstructed. There is a mount on the exterior of the pump. Is it worth taking that off to check inside the screen?
Oil levels are good.

Check the cooling strainer for debris by removing the cover on the outside of the pump(s). Sounds like you have reduced water flow. Check all around the impeller and jet tunnel for anything that would obstruct flow. Remember the cooling is only fed by the strainer so if it’s not getting good flow or it’s clogged then you will overheat, throw codes etc.

Check the cooling strainer for debris by removing the cover on the outside of the pump(s). Sounds like you have reduced water flow. Check all around the impeller and jet tunnel for anything that would obstruct flow. Remember the cooling is only fed by the strainer so if it’s not getting good flow or it’s clogged then you will overheat, throw codes etc.
Strainer is out and clean. No obvious signs of debris in the impeller or jet tunnel on both sides. I can see just a bit into where water intakes and I don’t see anything. Is that a place where I should flush some water through to maybe clear a clog? I agree it seems like a water flow issue.
What’s the port with the flapper valve (just above the rudder)? I ask because it was pushed in, so water would’ve flowed into that port as we sat and drank beer merrily. Possibly an overflow to some compartment?

Strainer is out and clean. No obvious signs of debris in the impeller or jet tunnel on both sides. I can see just a bit into where water intakes and I don’t see anything. Is that a place where I should flush some water through to maybe clear a clog? I agree it seems like a water flow issue.
What’s the port with the flapper valve (just above the rudder)? I ask because it was pushed in, so water would’ve flowed into that port as we sat and drank beer merrily. Possibly an overflow to some compartment?
Unregard….just the drain from the deck….doh!

Do you store the boat outdoors? Have you checked to see if an insect has made a home inside your pisser port on the side of the boat? So,et I’m es that can happen and create a clog.

ApprecIate the help! I don’t see any blockages and the warning won’t reset, so I’m going to drop it at the dealer and let a pro fix it up. Another issue with the steering needs to be addressed as well.
Thank you!!

Follow up….took the boat in for diagnosis and it turned out to be an O2 sensor (occurred). Engine ran fine with no issues but I’m posting because it’s quite frustrating to not be able to reset the check engine warning if the problem resolved itself.
The recommendation above was to recycle battery power several times and I even left it off overnight. Anyone else run across this?
Now to replace the steering cable….

Back