• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha waverunner vxr wont go past 5krpm and 30mph

yamahavxr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
NA
Got a yamaha waverunner vxr with 177 hours that's stuck at 30mph and 5k rpms . So far I have changed spark plugs , cleaned fuel injectors, driven with seat off , looked for loose hose connections and nothing seems to be fixing it .
Battery reads 14v on screen and shows no codes . Ski runs good under no load when I'm jumping small waves it speeds up and then bogs Down
Initial acceleration after starting is rough too until it warms up a little.
Anyone knows what it could be that I could change or fix to solve this issue ? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Got a yamaha waverunner vxr with 177 hours that's stuck at 30mph . So far I have changed spark plugs , cleaned fuel injectors, driven with seat off , looked for loose hose connections and nothing seems to be fixing it .
Battery reads 14v on screen and shows no codes . Ski runs good under no load when I'm jumping small waves it speeds up and then bogs Down
Initial acceleration after starting is rough too until it warms up a little.
Anyone knows what it could be that I could change or fix to solve this issue ? Thanks in advance
5k and 30mph seems like its in Lerner mode.

That's what I thought too but L mode light is off and I have no remote to check it . But i figured if it was in L mode it won't go fast when not under load . Somethings definitely wrong somewhere, if I press Throttle hard right after starting it ,ski misfires and vibrates , takes a while for it to run smoothly, but once it starts going , it goes good till 30mph

Did you check compression?

Make sure all the coils are firing

I'm planning on doing it today , kinda dreading it. I'm gonna clean fuel filter and injectors again today to see if they are the cause

Make sure all the coils are firing
For the coils , can I pull their plugs out 1 by 1 to test them that way or should I use multimeter ? I read somewhere that it's unsafe with tge unplugging method

I'm planning on doing it today , kinda dreading it. I'm gonna clean fuel filter and injectors again today to see if they are the cause
Doubt its an injector, more likely its a coil, seen many of those go bad

For the coils , can I pull their plugs out 1 by 1 to test them that way or should I use multimeter ? I read somewhere that it's unsafe with tge unplugging method
Leaflve plugs in, pull coil out one at a time put an old plug in coil and ground it to the valve cover and watch for spark. Repeat it with every coil

Ok I'm gonna try that, I have some old spark plugs. Thank you for answering

So I took apart the Throttle body hose that goes from air filter to Throttle body and there's traces of oil (engine oil I assume ) . Does that mean my engine oil is overfill ? It shows full mark on cold and was showing full mark on water after running

Some traces of oil is not your issue. If it was so bad that it fouled the plugs then yes but its not that bad

You are misfiring so start with the coils and go from there. Spark, fuel, compression and go from there. Then when you figure out which one is the culprit then find out why. Start with the basics first

This is how the new plug looks after 4 hours of use . The oil seems pretty significant actually, I see it on Throttle body too , I just finished cleaning it. There's no air filter in it , is it bad to run without air filter?

Attachments

• 20240728_110237.jpg
    20240728_110237.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
I saw some carbon build up on plug that came off when I scraped with my finger

Should have an air filter. But not your problem at the moment

So I just tested each coil for spark by unplugging coil and using old spark plug in it , unplugged the fuel injector and started the ski and they all have spark. How do I check if I'm getting enough fuel by the fuel pump? . I also took 2 quarts of oil out and now the oil level just reaches tip of the dipstick at cold

So I just tested each coil for spark by unplugging coil and using old spark plug in it , unplugged the fuel injector and started the ski and they all have spark. How do I check if I'm getting enough fuel by the fuel pump? . I also took 2 quarts of oil out and now the oil level just reaches tip of the dipstick at cold
You would need a fuel pressure gauge and the spec to test that

Back