• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yo Ho Ho, Let’s Talk Rum! 🏴‍☠️

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let’s fix this lack of rum discussion, we are boaters after all, eh? 🏴‍☠️

I know this thread is mostly about Bourbon however I am mostly a Rum drinker. So I ran across Richland Rum when we were camping in GA. It is actually made in two locations one of them being Brunswick Ga and the other is Richland Ga where it was first made. It is a single estate rum and in my opinion as I sit here sipping it over ice is worth the price. For me it is very smooth almost like a fine bourbon. Anyway I am curious if anyone else has run across it and if so how did you like it? [flag]

View attachment 91573

I was in Brunswick and stopped by Richland Rum. The tour guide had just left for the day and was given a tour by the distiller. Although this is primarily a bourbon thread, and Like you, I found that same version comparable to a smooth bourbon and works great in any bourbon mixed drink. I ordered a flight while on the tour.The distiller explained that each of the five expressions all started the same way but between aging and casking would greatly affect the end product. They had 5 in total to choose from. I bought the same bottle you have last year. This year, I went with a higher ABV and it’s surprisingly smooth.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My youngest son is 21. At his request, we went out to get a bottle of captain Morgan‘s orange twist. To me it taste more like a creamsicle. He didn’t care much for it. At least it wasn’t expensive. Being on a college budget doesn’t allow for pricey options. I took him to the Richland Rum Distillery in Brunswick GA. Afterward, that experience has opened his mind to exploring the many small batch quality rums That don’t add a bunch of unnatural flavors. Those bottle you posted would be a great start to his journey of rum. I especially like the artistry involved. I bought him a reference book. Would be a good book for any bachelor pad coffee table.

Attachments

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you use coconut rum for mixed drinks just an FYI. Malibu seems to be the choice, however it is only 20% alcohol. Bacardi is 35%, and Captain Morgan Parrot Bay is 45%. Little bigger bang for the alcohol buck. .

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got these two books from Amazon with the intent to keep only one. Return window has come and gone and still haven’t cracked either one.
image.jpg

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ricardo is best but not available this side of the stream.

54035CFB-279E-424A-941B-8B539E409E8A.jpeg

This side of the stream my wife prefers the Blue Chair Coconut and really enjoys their Key Lime although it is dangerous.

D2691E1A-84AF-447B-8633-ACE1281F8A89.jpeg

I prefer Capt Morgan’s spiced black.

4A100443-D844-430E-AD12-79727B0FCDDB.jpeg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The original and, to me, best for a Dark ‘n’ Stormy night:
AA0C8644-8D10-45C3-9C6E-A69EC9759CEE.jpeg84833E06-9622-42F6-BDF1-74D564234345.jpeg

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New selections for this weekend. The Barbancourt was recommended in the Easy Tiki book. The Don Q was by necessity, only non-Malibu coconut rum. The rest are by chance.
5D271089-A800-4FDA-9F1F-B4F288526037.jpeg

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah I have the Bacoo 8 yr. I was pleased with it and will probably repurchase it. Was reasonable price. Let me know what you think of the others as you sample them. Regards

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New additions to the family. The Mahina Coco is what I’ve had before and will be the only coconut rum I buy going forward. The Plantation pineapple was on my buy list. The orange was an unexpected find at a reasonable price. Whenever I make Mai Tai’s I kind of make it up as I go along, so I either need to plan or document better, otherwise it will become difficult to repeat or recommend.
046C0863-10BD-42CE-ADAA-0E7CC44DA63B.jpeg

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We loved this stuff! But, they discontinued it in 2015.

1657459503197.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent Rum, my favorite. Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

Diplomatico.png

If you are looking for a decent quality rum for mixing, say with Coca-cola or OJ , yo don't need to go all in, You can pick a less expensive option. Well Recommended:

https://specsonline.com/shop/spirits/santa-teresa-rum-anejo-gran-reserva-2/

Santa Teresa.png

But my preference is for sweet, non spiced, non "flavored" rums.

These 2 are excellent for their intended uses (Please don't mix Diplomatico :) )

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I have the Bacoo 8 yr. I was pleased with it and will probably repurchase it. Was reasonable price. Let me know what you think of the others as you sample them. Regards
Finally tried the Bacoo. I had some neat to taste it, then used it as a float on a Mai Tai. I thought it was real good, and comparing it to other rum purchases it is a good value, $23 vs average of $30. The 12 yr is only $2 more. I’ll get that next.

I’ve been using the Lemon Hart & Son in the Mai Tai‘s and will definitely buy again. It was recommended in the Smuggler’s Cove book. Good flavor to compliment the strength.

I haven’t tried the Barbancourt yet. That was also recommended in Smuggler's Cove.

The Don Q was okay. No comparison to the Clement.

Kraken was okay also. I prefer Sailor Jerry.