• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Your Refurbished Phone May Not Be Waterproof

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday, while stepping off the boat on to the dock, we had a bit of a mishap and I fell in the water. No alcohol involved and no injuries.

My phone was in my hand and went under for about 5 seconds. No big deal, right? It's a Samsung S23 Ultra, rated for "1.5 meters for 30 minutes."

After a few seconds in the water, it was FULL of water. Water was in the cameras, I could feel it behind the screen, dripping out the seams between the screen and phone frame, etc. I feel like more water came out of it than than the volume of the phone.

Tried turning it off, screen wouldn't respond. Watched it die a slow, flickering death over the next couple of minutes. Tried drying it out on the way home, and had it standing vertical on a fan all night, but it's dead today.

I was surprised. I've had phones get pretty wet in the past, and my prior Galaxy Note 20 went underwater for a few minutes once, with zero issues at all.

The only thing I can think of is that this phone is a refurbished one, sent by Asurion after the screen on my original one cracked. I'm guessing this one was opened up for screen replacement or other repair and not sealed back together properly. Claim is filed for a replacement. New phone is coming EOD today, but they are saying water damage isn't covered under their replacement phone warranties, so I'm out $200. Will be using a dry bag for wallet/keys/phone when getting on and off the boat in the future.

FYI, there's a neat app that uses the pressure sensor in your phone to test if yours is still waterproof. I realize it's a little late for you, but for others...

When phones are dropped, the frame can bend and waterproofing can be broken. This is a good/quick test to see if it's likely still waterproof.

Back