• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sunglasses recommendation?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of sunglasses to be used on the water? What color is best, polarized or not, gradient lenses, mirror lenses?. I have a new Lowrance GPS and it was sometimes hard to see in the bright sun with the polarized, amber, sunglasses I have.

I was reading that a blue tint with mirror lenses could be best for the water on one site; however, other sites suggest different tints and features. Has anyone found the best combination of features to see your instruments as well as reducing the glare from the sun on the water?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Polarized is a must if you ever need to see below the water. They can make some GPS screens hard to read, but that's something you'll just have to test... each screen and sunglasses seem different. Personally, I like Peppers and Gargoyles... they tend to deal with the abuse they get on the boat and aren't too ridiculously pricey, although neither float. :S Correction: Some Pepper's float... just not the ones I had.

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hope I am not hijacking, but can anyone suggest a good place to purchase (and brand) for prescription sunglasses?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I prefer Costa Del Mar, https://www.costadelmar.com/, and I currently wear Ansil with black frames and blue lenses, https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/ansil/13089. These have been the best sunglasses I have purchase to date, great fit, great optics, and very durable. While looking at the Costa's I noticed many of their styles are named after places on or around Bimini. My glasses are named after Ansil Saunders a famous boat builder on North Bimini. Others with Bimini ties are Tuna Alley, Cat Cay, and Conch.

Hope I am not hijacking, but can anyone suggest a good place to purchase (and brand) for prescription sunglasses?
Here is some info on Costa and prescription, https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/prescription . Most sunglass lines also do prescription just not sure on where is the best place to purchase. If your health insurance cover eyewear that might a good place to start.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've recently switched from Oakley polarized to Costas which are all polarized and the difference is impressive. My Oakley lenses were the red iridium which had a red mirrored finish. The finish began to flake off around the edges next to the frame. I always cleaned them well after a weekend on the lake and in the sun with the cleaning kit from Oakley. The clarity of their optics is pretty good and their frames are quite durable, but the lenses wouldn't hold up for more then 4 years. Being in a saltwater environment they may not last that long. I switched to Costas for their optics and their reputation for being made for the water/saltwater environment. I got the blue mirrored lenses which are the darkest that they offer and are preferred by boaters and fisherman because of being in bright sunlight most of the time. I got the glass lenses because they are much more scratch resistant then the plastic ones. The only drawback to glass is that they are slightly heavier. They're not cheap either. Expect to pay $200+.

As far as looking at a digital screen through them, the only screen I have is a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I just turn up the brightness a little and I can see it fine. It might be a little easier to see a chart plotter screen with a lighter tented lens, which would be the green mirrored, but then you may be squentin more due to less glare being blocked. Being in the Florida sun you probably want as them as dark as possible. Just my .02 cents.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One thing I found with my previously owned Oakley's is similar to what @PEARCE said is that the tint might flack/peel off over time. What I found that caused the issue with my pair was suntan lotion, it will eat the tint off. So far after 3 years with my Costa's they I have not had one single issue.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a fan of peppers as well. and some float and are reasonably priced

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like Oakleys - I have like 7 pairs of them. I use my oldest polarized blue lenses on the boat. I've never had an issue with the tint flaking. They do not float, so I keep them attached to floating croakies.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't use anything that doesn't cost over $20 around the water.... I have a knack for having them go overboard!! I will use polarized but just cheap ones that you can get from Walmart. Sunglasses of choice are Ray Ban.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After losing the 1st good pair - you won't do that again. That's why I only use my oldest beaters attached to croakies.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
X2 for Costa. I am currently wearing the Costa "Corbina" My wife wears Maui Jims and they are fantastic......Some of the best lenses in the business IMO, but they are pricy.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Costas are the Fantail's. :)

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got a pair of Maui Jims for Christmas that replaced a pair of Ray Bans. So far am very happy with them. I also wear a neck strap when around water since a pair of Oakleys fell off and sank in the San Franciso Bay while on vacation.

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those Pepper's look very interesting. Does anyone know it they tend to run narrow or wide?

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out my buddies company FarOut Sunglasses. I just got a pair of clear frame with blue polarized reflective lens wayfarer style glasses for 27 shipped. I have lost a few pair of expensive sunglasses in the lake. Polarized it definitely the way to go. Check them out http://www.faroutsunglasses.com/

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maui Jim's are my favorite so far. Great lens quality.