• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR190 Underpowered

bruue1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought this 2021 AR 190 and it sucks. It's loud. It vibrates. It has never gotten above 36mph in 13 hours for me. Yesterday I had 7 x 13 year old boys in the boat and my wife. Trying to tow a 2 seat Big Mable, 5 kids in the boat and two on the tube, we could not swing the tube over the wake. In fact in almost any sort of turn the boat would bog down to like 14-15mph at full throttle. In the straights it would take longer than it should to recover.

There is no power until around 6500 RPM and my engine never revs higher than 7200 rpms?

No torque.

Yeah it can pull one adult water skier or wakeboarder or knee boarder with 2-3 in the boat. But so can a tin boat with a 30 hp tiller steer outdrive.

F****n joke for a $38,000 dollar brand new "8 person" boat with a wakeboard tower.

I should have known better, no matter the type of engine, or how high it revs, it is 1.8 ltr. That is less than half the size of my previous 1983 3.7ltr Merc 470 which could push my old Rinker, with 7 grown men in the boat and one dragging behind on the tube. I never owned a jet before. It's stupid.

I'm serious. I wanted to love this boat. It has been nothing but a disappointment. I just did the 10 hr oil change at around 11 hrs two days ago. This boat has sucked since I got it. The very first day, putting in the water, the first thing my wife asked "Is there something wrong with the engine?" Reading through these blogs it sounds like there is but it is no different than anything anyone else is experiencing and that it is running as well as it can.

I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Going to bring the boat back. Luckily they are in short supply, hopefully they can sell it to someone else. I still expect to be out almost 10 grand between the purchase and sale of the boat, I'll feel lucky if I do that well. Regardless, I just cant take running this thing anymore, I should have driven one first, I never would have purchased. The thing is a big, pretty, floating, joke.

I'm sorry but we'd be better tubing behind a pontoon.

Yes I saved the day for the boys, it's pretty intuitive to widen your turns and figure out how to nurse 18-20 mph out of the boat, but it wasn't much fun. Heck, I even saw 22 once or twice. After dropping half the weight at the beach, we were able to do a little better.

I am looking to buy anything with a propeller in place of this. Wish I still had my old boat. This boat was a huge mistake.

So that's my sad story. I'm posting this in case you are thinking about purchasing one, and because I'm pissed. I feel like there is a lot of "it's not so bad" from people trying to deny their mistake, any boat with just a chipmunk's worth of balls (torque) can blow these things right out the water.

I personally do prefer the low speed handling, it's fun to spin the boat at the dock. But that's it.

Also, my cockpit drain seeps water into the engine compartment, many of my cup holder rims are loose, not properly caulked down, and my depth finder is as inaccurate as anything I've ever seen more than half the time, and one of my four speakers was not hooked up to the wire. It was all there, I just had to pull the speaker and plug it in, that was all on a new boat from the factory.

I got the blue and white one; I think it's beautiful, the fit and finish is lacking.

I can't believe they sell so many of these.

Yamaha: My name is Simon B. Thanks for wasting my time and money. One more thing, 13 hours driving on a 1000 acre lake in MN 2.8 ave mpg. As if its a yacht.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for posting your opinion.

If you were you I would explain the dealer what is happening. The boat is still warranty. Though I am sure you have something sucked up on your impeller. I bet you post a video next time you are out and you will people will tell you that they can hear cavitation. What you are describing is below average performance and it could be for many reasons, but I think you have cavitation. The drive train you have has taken 3 adults to the Bahamas with 5 foot seas, so power is there, simply there is something not right with your situation.

Btw it is normal for your boat start kicking after 5,000+ RPM. It just like an airplane that nothing happens a low rpm.

2.8mpg is a bit on the low side but you are probably overworking it due to whatever issue you might having.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like cavitation. Maybe your oil is too high, that will knock 3-500 RPM off easy. Should be half way between low and mid, no more. Check your air filter make sure it isn't saturated with oil. Did you check all the gaps on the plugs? You may have a bad seal or something sucked up as @Betik was eluding too.

Yes they are louder. It shouldn't vibrate. 2.8mpg is bit on the low side but you won't get much more. Especially towing.

bruue1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for trying to help me.
I'm fairly certain everything is fine on my boat.
I did fill the oil to the top dot but no more.
Tomorrow I'll suck a little out, but like I said, boat has ran like this since day one.

I am only pissing about this boat on here because I read a lot on this forum and it helped me to decide to buy a Yamaha Jet Boat.

I just really wish I had paid more attention to the negatives and not gotten caught up in all the workarounds and compromise talk.

Having had years of experience driving propeller boats, towing skiers, wake boards, tubes...., I just really feel I made a huge mistake purchasing this jet boat. It just doesn't have any torque at all. I wanted someone else trying to make their decision to hear my feelings.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah if you filled it to the top your performance will be greatly impacted. That last 400-500 or more RPM's will give you a good boost. These engines are very sensitive to oil level.... n0 Could have been over filled from dealer. Happens all the time. Don't just take some out, get it halfway between "L" and the middle.

FWIW, the 212s which I believe is still the fastest boat in the fleet will leap out of the water and you will have all the torque you want. Unfortunately its another 20k. TBH the AR210 I have with the TR-1's has no issue pulling 3 people tubes, the Super Mable HD, with 6 people in the boat with plenty to spare. Plenty of low end pulling power as well. My top end though is only 44mph. I got it a year ago OTD at 42k right before the COVID boat buying frenzy. Didn't want to spend 60k or so.

Maybe the 195 supercharged for a bit more would give you the handling you are looking for.

Unless you can get another boat, I would get everything right on it. Run it for the summer then put it up for sale by owner at the end of summer and you will probably get most of your money back. Also, you could put a deposit down on a different Yamaha now or any other boat if they don't have it in stock.

Last edited:

bruue1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really doubt the 195 would help in the corners. Regardless I don't want the supercharger. I'm looking for reliable, I keep it on a lift in my back yard, and I'm busy. I just wanted to buy something that would be reliable and do what it was supposed to do for the next 20-30 years.

Stepping up might be an option, but there are a lot of options for 60,000 just there are for 40,000.

I got better performance out of the boat I sold (1983 Rinker) with a bolt on monster tower, than I do with this new one. I just sold the old one because I was sick of gapping the points every spring. And changing the bellows every so often, outdrive gear lube etc... The simplicity and the low maintenance of this boat is what sold me on it. I thought I could deal with the step down in power, or I thought it wouldn't be that bad.

I think a 10-20k 10-20 year old stern drive with electronic ignition might be in my future.

I might jsut keep this Yamaha and live with the compromise too, but it irks me every time I drive the boat.

Best of luck to all of you. I don't think I can bring much more to the conversation.

Simon

bruue1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that why everybody is sticking kilmat all over the undersides of their panels? Because there is no vibration resonating through the boat? Or why everyone is talking about "learning" to tow a tube with the boat? Because there is plenty of power?

Thanks for your input. Best of luck to you.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn't the 2021 19 footers go from 8 to 8.6 wide? That will make it heavier.
I can see it being slower than older 8 wide boats.
Its not gonna be a hotrod like a 195. Unfortunately its an entry level yamaha with a tower.
Any other 21 190 owners could chime in on performance would be helpful

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I added a lucky 13 cone to my AR192 this year and it has really improved my cornering with the tube. It still loses power but not as much. I would also do the ribbon delete which should give a few more rpm for you.
those are 2 mods that will improve your experience a lot

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I actually make steering for faster turns with very little speed bleed-off and a plaining surface for faster hole shots and a cleaner wake for water sports but I also agree the vibration does sound like you have some weeds in the pump or you overfilled the oil and got the air cleaner element wet with oil and if so you will need a new one of those as for oil always leave it in the center of the 2 marks SO just relax and see if you can get used to the boat 1800 engines are pretty good I tow 5 people in 2 tubes tied together with one in a P W C and stand on the seat while doing it holding my hands in the air remember even something as small as a piece of fishing line will mess up your impeller and cause serious cavitation and that is what you are describing. Especially if you use reverse in shallow water. you are kicking up the trashy and throwing it in the intake grate. also be sure the tubes are inflated hard so they slide across the water. And try having just 1 observer in the boat when towing people in tubes for a better top speed.

Last edited:

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bruue1, sorry man. Tough lesson to learn for buying w/o test driving. While you’re making the oil adjustment this week, do as the more experienced guys are suggesting and check for causes of cavitation. Otherwise, you’re gonna take a kick to balls dollar-wise when you go back to the dealer and some other guy will get a nice deal on a used boat that was let go b/c of an easily fixable issue.

Good luck to you.Life is too short not to be happy on the water. Go get something that’ll put a smile on your face.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something doesn’t seem right to me. My brother’s AR190 has no problem getting up to 40mph with a full load and towing a tube. My AR210 is also not lacking for power.

I would bring the issue up to your dealer. Something isn’t right.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really doubt the 195 would help in the corners. Regardless I don't want the supercharger. I'm looking for reliable, I keep it on a lift in my back yard, and I'm busy. I just wanted to buy something that would be reliable and do what it was supposed to do for the next 20-30 years.
I have a '18 SX195 that I have done nothing to other than change the oil in the fall and added Cobra Jet Viper's. Maintenance on the supercharger or anything else has been a nonissue for me after 110 hours. Still on the original plugs in fact.

She gets and goes with 3 adults in the boat and 2 young men on the tube. Sure, you bleed off very little bit in the corners, but I have not had problem whipping the boys off the tube across the wake. Combo, slalom, wakeboarding, even with the non-tower lower tow point is not a problem. 51MPH confirmed with my GPS on my phone in cooler temperatures.

Sure, it's a bit louder than your typical inboard/outboard or outboard, but not to the point where you can't have a conversation or need to wear ear protection.

Sounds like you have problem with your 190, or you need at least a 195 for your expectations.

But, seems like your mind is made up that it is a piece of shit. So good luck with whatever you decide to upgrade to.

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I bought this 2021 AR 190 and it sucks.

@bruue1..... I have no sympathy for you at all. You bought an AR190 to take seven people out on and didn't think that a non-supercharged 1.8 would do the trick? It's not Yamaha's fault! If you had done any homework at all you would have known to purchase an AR195 or 195S with the supercharged engine. Instead you went cheap. Of course the AR190 is a dog - DUH. I say DUH because this is not your first boat so you should know better. You owned a Rinker. I owned seven and have over 7,000 posts on their website - I say this because you remind me of some of the forum members who bought Rinker boats with underpowered engines then complained about performance - the most hilarious being a dimwit who purchased a Rinker EC 360 with 5.0 liter engines and complained the boat was a dog. No $hit!!!! That boat needed the 502 Magnum H.O.s - which is what I ordered with my Rinker EC 360. That made it a 50 mph boat fully loaded. Lesson for everyone 1. Do your homework before purchasing. 2. I have never heard anyone complain that their ride had too much horsepower. I purchased a 2018 Yamaha Waverunner SVHO FX Cruiser (supercharged 1.8L) and it would slay any pwc we came across. I bought a 2020 Yamaha SX195 (another supercharged 1.8) and it blew the doors off any other 19.5 boat we came across. C'mon man - the problem is yours NOT Yamahas. Personally speaking I would have been too embarrassed to post the uneducated drivel you did and highlight my pervasive ignorance.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little bit of bad luck and confirmation bias explains everything else.
your description of the vessels makes it not a BAU AR190. Yamaha has its issues but not being able to pull a couple of kids with a tube is not one of them.

I hope you give The dealer the change to remedy the issue. If not please post the boat for sale here. I am some people will be glad to take it off your hands.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What I'm curious about is why are you adding oil to a new boat? And is there any reason why you would not share all the info of your boat with your dealer? Or take the time to look in the pumps for something that could be causing cavitation?

I apologize if you have already done so. And if so, what did you find, and what did your dealer say? If you are from MN, my guess is you bought it from River Valley, and they do on water deliveries with each sale. They are a very reputable dealer and will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

So give the dealer a shot to do so. We don't hear from too many 190 owners with this much issue. Sure, they realize they bought the lowest powered boat in the line up, but flat out complain, not so much.

Good luck,

Last edited:

typhoon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Is that why everybody is sticking kilmat all over the undersides of their panels? Because there is no vibration resonating through the boat?
Killmat is to reduce noise, not vibration. It seems as though you are truly unhappy, and have your mind made up. Best of luck selling the boat. The good news for you, in this market you should get close to MSRP for your boat.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just post it for sale - it will be sold in hours I would imagine and probably close to what you have in it. I would be shocked if you didn't get almost full MSRP.

Boggles my mind some times - you bought a new 2021 AR 190 - single engine - 8 person capacity - and you fill it over capacity (7 teenagers and 2 adults - last time I checked 7+2 = 9) and then you hooked up one of the largest towables you can have (big mable) that has the most amount of drag... (let me guess you were towing it from the tower point as well and it was probably underinflated?) and you don't understand why it was under powered?

These boats literally jump out of the hole - sounds like you have something sucked up in it causing cavitation/hole shot issues. Also, sounds like you have zero patience with wanting to have the dealer take a look. I have an AR250 I had it full on Friday night - 12 adults - sunset cruise - half a tank of gas and it crushed it - jumped out of the hole and was running WOT 42-43 - that is freakin impressive if you ask me.

You will not be out $10K - these boats are impossible to find -just sell it outright - and then go buy yourself an awesome 1983 Rinker with a 3L Merc and an I/O drive - then come back and post pictures so we can all drool over it. Best of luck in your future boating endeavors.