• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

back up camera system needed

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@4x15mph , I think the idea is that you put one post and ball on the tow ball and the other on the trailer tongue. When the one on the ball falls over, presumably because it hit the tongue, you should be lined up (back and forth as well as left to right).

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's correct. Some reviews talk about not being able to see the balls because the telescoping rods are not high enough. We will see

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's correct. Some reviews talk about not being able to see the balls because the telescoping rods are not high enough. We will see
That was the problem that I had. I could not see the one that was on the ball because it didn't extend above the tailgate of my truck.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use to use the telescoping magnetic poles with the tennis balls on top. They worked OK. Camera works much better.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my personal van I installed a 2din dvd screen radio with a reverse input. For a while I mounted and rigged cheap cameras which worked.
I use the camera for parallel parking, parking space depth, and hitching up.

Last summer I spent the money on a factory looking center brake light mounted camera. It was about $135.oo but looks factory and works great. Just ideas when people building a system.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

bottman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's above the mentioned budget, but I have been extremely happy with this set-up in my Silverado Crew Cab.

Double DIN Android 6.2" TouchScreen GPS-Navigation/DVD/CD/AM-FM/WiFi/Backup Camera ect ect... (Full Android OS in my dash!)

http://goo.gl/lnbIra

And this backup Camera that looks a lot better than the cheap one's I see held in place with 2 license plate screws, and it has some IR LED's.

http://goo.gl/xAE0SM

Camera has no issue picking up the 2" receiver hitch ball and making it a breeze to line up the trailer with the ball. No more using my tag as a bump-stop! I thought about a supplementary setup for above the passenger visor(flip down when needed & hit a switch), but like the OEM look this posses with all the features I didn't get on my truck.

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have the iball camera. It works well. Makes hooking up the trailer a lot easier!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wanted to report back that the magnetic, telescoping hitch guide has worked out great for me. You may not beat a camera which I know was the original question but I wanted to make sure you see this as a possible option. 3 flawless hookups so far and I can't believe this didn't come as part of the trailer.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you got it resolved :winkingthumbsup"

I've got one of those $99 specials....in a box...in the garage :oops:

Who knows, maybe I'll get around to installing it one of these days! That would thrill my wife to death since she's typically my ball finder....oh, wait, that didn't sound right. Did it? :rolleyes:

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have backup camera on my jeep which works great for connecting trailer to my jeep but I can't see behind my boat when backing up into tight spaces. I use my gopro camera and get a live wireless feed to my phone so I can see what's going on back there. Thought I would throw that out there for anyone who has a gopro and could put it to good use with this application!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We want a backup camera because of the same reason, but also because we want to be able to move the camera to the back of our camper when we to tow it. HUGE blind spot behind that thing while driving around.
I just can't justify the cost of it all when all ya gotta do is get out a couple extra times to line things up. And as far as driving the camper around, it would be nice what... 3 times on a long trip? And it's just that... nice.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GoPro is a great idea and I may try that with my gopro that I bought yesterday. I also thought about using facetime between my ipad and my iph0ne which was another option that I thought about. My gopro and the app has a pretty good lag between the camera and what is seen on the iPhone/app. I have the version that uses Wifi only though so maybe thats the problem.

Either way, the magnetic "sticks" work incredible so if I do use either of the above options, it will be for when I have a yacht or horse trailer

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread reminds me of when I took my dad out on the boat. We had an Enclave which has very poor rear visibility when the boat is not on the trailer. He offered to put the trailer in for recovery. I watched him struggle for several minutes. Back...forth...back...forth. When I was done loading he was a bit embarrassed. even more so when I pointed out the back-up camera had been showing a beautiful view behind him right on the nav screen! Who was it that added a trailer cam? I remember reading about it a long time ago. If I am going to bother adding to my truck, it would be nice to see behind the boat too. Not sure I can trust wireless that far.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the recent review of 2015's top 10 marine speakers is on a site which also features 2015's top 10 rear view camera reviews. @MikeyL , thanl you for sharing the initial link. Here is the link to the rear view camera reviews.

http://rear-view-cameras-review.toptenreviews.com/mobile/

@Seadeals , I added a wired two camera rear view system to my suv a few years ago, at least three seasons ago now and it is still working great. I think I already posted a link to the eBay seller I got it from earlier in this thread. Here is a link to one thread on the subject. My post is about half way down the page and I includes pics of my view from both cameras.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/rear-view-camera-on-boat.929/#post-12328

If I were to do it again , I would either buy an extra wiring harness for my other tow vehicle or go with a wireless camera system so I could move it between vehicles. The are more expensive than the rest view cameras discussed so far in this thrad but if you want to see what's behind the boat while you are towing it there is no better option short of sitting on the swim deck as far as I'm concerned. If the camera is always on it has to handle the heat it generates and if it is on the trailer, chances are it and the wiring will need to be water proof not just resist water.

Last edited: