• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear view camera on boat?

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My tow vehicle is a Dodge Dakota. When trailering the boat it is very difficult to see cars behind me. Has anyone mounted a rearview camera on the boat or trailer to get an unobstructed view to the rear? I'm thinking about a wireless camera but I'm worried about the range.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Julian made me think of an app for the new GoPro's. You can see what the camera sea's. You could mount the GoPro on your boat and view what it see's on the truck. The bonus is you end up with a GoPro for use on the water.

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-app

Pulled this the Gopro link above.
Use your smartphone or tablet as an ultra-convenient remote control for your GoPro. Quickly adjust camera settings, start/stop recording, switch modes, check your battery level and more. It's great for gear-mounted shooting where the camera is out of reach. Plus, live preview lets you see what your GoPro sees so you can frame your shots with confidence.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
The GoPro idea is a great one, but when you have the wifi on, the battery life is non existent. At least that has been my experience.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Most compact back-up cameras for vehicles will have a good viewing width and a good focus at distance if you mount it to the boat tower. It could also double as a functional system while pulling a rider. Many RVs have a reliable wireless link between the rearview camera and monitor. Since the link is only composite video, it wouldn't be a challenge to have a hardwired link. Start with a Kenwood camera. Some have selectable perspectives.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I experimented with the basic rearview cameras but eventually went with a wired two camera RV system. One camera is mounted to the tailgate of the tow vehicle and the other to the last cross beam on the boat's trailer. The advantage of the wired connection is that it is never disrupted by random signals on the same frequency. The problem I've noticed with the cheaper more basic units is that the cameras are not usually designed to be always on, just on in reverse, so they tend to overheat in just a few minutes. The gopro won't work unless/until they fix the lag issue (if you wave your hand in front of the gopro there is a 2 to 3 second lag before you'll see it on your phone).

Here is a link to my write up and pics on YJB for anyone interested.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=46992&hilit=+rear+view+camera

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks. that is exactly what I'm looking to do

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Ronnie , what cameras and interface did you use on your tow vehicle and trailer?

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to the system I bought. The same seller offers different versions (e.g. some wireless, some with 4 to 8 cameras, think RV or horse trailer use, a camera for every horse). I mounted one of my cameras to the back of the tow vehicle to make hitching the trailer to it easier. The other is on the boat trailer, its designed to be on continuously so it doesn't overheat even when I leave it on for over three hours at a time. If you go this route make sure you get the water resistant camera. I can toggle the view to each camera on the fly. In order to use the same display to view people being towed behind the boat, you would either have to go with the wireless model or buy two separate systems, one for the truck and/or trailer and another for the boat.

The system Raphael cited is probably fine for its intended purpose as rear view only while reversing camera but I'd bet it will overheat or otherwise malfunction if left on for too long, that's what at least two other similar systems did when I tried to keep them on for over 10 to 15 minutes.

Two things to consider if you buy what I bought and do what I do with it.

1. The camera on the boat trailer is all but useless at night, all I see are head lights which tend to overcome the entire display (this true no matter what display mode I choose (e.g. vivid, natural, etc.)).
2. At night, I usually switch to the camera mounted to the tow vehicle, I still get some view of who is driving next to either side of the boat and the hitch/connection as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290514309867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Lastly, here are a few pics of the camera views that I took with my iPhone when I went boating recently (in the last month or so).

IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a link to the system I bought. The same seller offers different versions (e.g. some wireless, some with 4 to 8 cameras, think RV or horse trailer use, a camera for every horse). I mounted one of my cameras to the back of the tow vehicle to make hitching the trailer to it easier. The other is on the boat trailer, its designed to be on continuously so it doesn't overheat even when I leave it on for over three hours at a time. If you go this route make sure you get the water resistant camera. I can toggle the view to each camera on the fly. In order to use the same display to view people being towed behind the boat, you would either have to go with the wireless model or buy two separate systems, one for the truck and/or trailer and another for the boat.

The system Raphael cited is probably fine for its intended purpose as rear view only while reversing camera but I'd bet it will overheat or otherwise malfunction if left on for too long, that's what at least two other similar systems did when I tried to keep them on for over 10 to 15 minutes.

Two things to consider if you buy what I bought and do what I do with it.

1. The camera on the boat trailer is all but useless at night, all I see are head lights which tend to overcome the entire display (this true no matter what display mode I choose (e.g. vivid, natural, etc.)).
2. At night, I usually switch to the camera mounted to the tow vehicle, I still get some view of who is driving next to either side of the boat and the hitch/connection as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290514309867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Lastly, here are a few pics of the camera views that I took with my iPhone when I went boating recently (in the last month or so).

View attachment 2907 View attachment 2908
This looks like a much more reliable system for long term and constant use. Couple questions 1) The connection from the trailer to the vehicle, it looks like the camera on the truck has an adapter on it? I can't tell from the picture but do you have a separate power source other than the trailer connection? 2) Did you install this yourself or take it to a shop for installation? 3) Did you drill holes in the dashboard for the camera?

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This looks like a much more reliable system for long term and constant use. Couple questions 1) The connection from the trailer to the vehicle, it looks like the camera on the truck has an adapter on it? I can't tell from the picture but do you have a separate power source other than the trailer connection? 2) Did you install this yourself or take it to a shop for installation? 3) Did you drill holes in the dashboard for the camera?
Okay I scrolled down and answered all my own questions..... sorry about that :(

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not to hijack the thread but I have used something like this for a while to hook up the trailer by myself. They are super easy.

View attachment 2932
I also used these for a couple of years @Volffas and they do work pretty good. Just got a new tow vehicle last year with built in camera so put my balls in storage. :)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also used these for a couple of years @Volffas and they do work pretty good. Just got a new tow vehicle last year with built in camera so put my balls in storage. :)
My balls have started to fall off the metal rods.... I just can't bring myself to pay another $20 to purchase the $2.50 worth of material. I may try and use the magnets and make some homemade backup balls.

They really do make hooking to the trailer a lot easier.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My balls have started to fall off the metal rods.... I just can't bring myself to pay another $20 to purchase the $2.50 worth of material. I may try and use the magnets and make some homemade backup balls.

They really do make hooking to the trailer a lot easier.
One of mine came off also. I just glued it back on and remembered not to extend the rod by holding the ball.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My biggest problem was the kids playing with them while we were on our way to the boat ramp. They have taken them off and put them back on so many times that the hole in the middle is too big for the ball to stay on. That and they broke one of the metal extending rods. But I had them for almost 5 years before they got to the point they are now, so that's not too bad.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread is starting to crack my 13 year old maturity level gutterized mind up!!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread is starting to crack my 13 year old maturity level gutterized mind up!!
There are a whole lot of possible jokes about yellow balls and extending rods. :wideyed:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
DITTO! (except I got my new tow vehicle 3 years ago...)