• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chart Plotter Placement on newer boats with connext? Simrad Go7 installed

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks to @Neutron and @MrMoose for paving the way for this install and in particular the mounting option for the main unit! I used black starboard and routed the edges to round them off. My initial idea was to have a section at the front where I was going cut a hole to have the cables held, but then realized it was just as easy to let them slide back into the hole in the side panel. So the platform is a little bigger than needed and my shaping and routing skills need a lot more work!

I was able to through bolt the back 3 connections on the plate. I had to borrow one of the neighbor boys (thanks Zach!) to get the nylon nuts on the bolts, and then another neighbor pitched in with final assembly (thanks Patrick!). I was going to have 3 screws in the front, but used one too long for the middle one and it sheered off. The other two I went with shorter screws and had no issue. Pretty sure that mount isn't going to budge in waves to bimini...but time will tell!

leizearmx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about putting the chart plotter on top of the head compartment?? You could fit any size you wanted over there and it doesn't obstruct your view. My old boat had the fish finder over there and it wasn't bad.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks to @Neutron and @MrMoose for paving the way for this install and in particular the mounting option for the main unit! I used black starboard and routed the edges to round them off. My initial idea was to have a section at the front where I was going cut a hole to have the cables held, but then realized it was just as easy to let them slide back into the hole in the side panel. So the platform is a little bigger than needed and my shaping and routing skills need a lot more work!

I was able to through bolt the back 3 connections on the plate. I had to borrow one of the neighbor boys (thanks Zach!) to get the nylon nuts on the bolts, and then another neighbor pitched in with final assembly (thanks Patrick!). I was going to have 3 screws in the front, but used one too long for the middle one and it sheered off. The other two I went with shorter screws and had no issue. Pretty sure that mount isn't going to budge in waves to bimini...but time will tell!
Your very welcome

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What about putting the chart plotter on top of the head compartment?? You could fit any size you wanted over there and it doesn't obstruct your view. My old boat had the fish finder over there and it wasn't bad.
I like to be able to easily change the views and data on display, and zoom distance etc, so having it closer was important to me. This platform will allow me to mount and angle it into a lot of different positions.....all of which are well out of the way.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I finally got the boat out this past weekend and it was the first time I had gotten to use my new Garmin chart plotter. 2 things to note;

First, it worked great with the transducer hooked up! I was concerned with the placement of the transducer with all the readings I've seen about inaccurate data readings due to turbulence but it worked out great! Also, where I placed the plotter I was able to turn it upwards like a table top to where I could look down on it while driving standing up. Sometimes I'll stand for long runs but with the hood on the 242 console I can't see the Connext screen to see depth and speed but i could easily see it through the garmin while standing. Big help!

Second thing, I've got some questions if anybody is real familiar with the Garmin units (53dv to be exact). The plotter allowed me to set depth shading in the settings at variable depths to make it easier to read on the plotter. I set it up for red, orange, yellow, etc. as the water gets more shallow and it works great along the shore line. However, it doesn't pick up more shallow areas in the middle of the lakes? For example, when I'm cruising along at 25mph in 30' of water and all of sudden it drops to 9' then 8' then 7' out of nowhere it makes me really nervous. Even though I know we can go in much more shallow spaces I don't want to get surprised by anything that might be under the water possibly unmarked. Obviously the low area is marked on the plotter but hard to tell when just glancing at it which is why I wanted to color shade it to avoids those shallow mounds however it's not working properly except for the shore. Make sense? Any thoughts?

Gevans5471

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is pics of my ducer mount
Had to shim one side to compensate for the angle forward

View attachment 50653 View attachment 50654 View attachment 50655
@Neutron New to the forum and saw your GO7 install. I had been planning to install a GO7 as well but wasn't sure of placement of the transducer. Your pics saved me a lot of time. Two quick questions for you: Does the articulating keel interfere with the side scan? Did you find a way to connect the GO7 to read N2K signals from the engines? Thanks in advance!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neutron New to the forum and saw your GO7 install. I had been planning to install a GO7 as well but wasn't sure of placement of the transducer. Your pics saved me a lot of time. Two quick questions for you: Does the articulating keel interfere with the side scan? Did you find a way to connect the GO7 to read N2K signals from the engines? Thanks in advance!
No interference with the keel at all. Depth reads past 45mph.
I havent done any integration with the engine. I believe you need more hardware for that

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never mind I found it!

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got around to my install. I relocated the control knob to the lower area beside the steering column. The base for the unit is a piece of black cutting board that I cut out and then heated the edge for a smoother glossy look. I haven't ran the cable for the transducer yet, that'll be a day when I have a bit more time. I was given this unit from my dad so not sure if it's a decent model or not but it'll be used primarily when we're in Florida fishing and navigating the waters there. 20171120_104228.jpg 20171120_112856.jpg 20171120_104612.jpg 20171117_172505.jpg 20171117_113629.jpg

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member