• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chart Plotter Placement on newer boats with connext? Simrad Go7 installed

tonyGinFL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The red plug connects to the back of the plotter. It pulls out to connect to the plotter, and slides back in when I'm not using the plotter. I'll take a pic of the plotter installed tomorrow.
Brilliant idea for my install (retractable cable pullout)

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here is my install. It was done several weeks ago and I can tell after taking the boat out twice the location works great though I'm going to add another small arm and a double ball. At time I wanted the screen to be closer to my face (too many small details even in "easy view") when I was driving reclined backward. If it'll work better, I will post more pix.

Look at the pix below, I drilled more holes into the Ram Mount flat piece (which already come full of holes) in order to position the GO7 display off to the side.

Today I installed the transducer. I saw many posts here and non was like what I came up with. I hope I didn't screw up on this one since I have yet to test my work, I saw a popular placement is on the jet shield plate but this is a vulnerable location to beaching or hitting shallow objects. I ended up attaching a "Stern Saver" to the horizontal surface under the swim deck (look for a 1" thick one. I used the 3/4" thick and had to cut the stock screws in order to avoid damaging the gel coat under). I measured it to be far enough from the strap eyelet. as close as I could to the front before the flat surface starting to bend downward and left enough room for a plastic cable routing through hull piece I got in West Marin (shopping list below). After drilling the 1" hole under the boat (the size you need for the cable plug to fit), I met with another fiberglass wall. The gap between the two walls was too small for the plug to fit, but I thought I'm already invested. If I need to, I will cut the plug and splice back later. I pushed a flex fiberglass rod through the gap but meet it by the speaker opening (my arm was in up to my elbow feeling around). I almost stopped in order to research and make sure I am not going to damage something I shouldn't, but than took the chance and drilled the second wall. Walla! I managed to pull he cable to the speaker area. From there the plug barely made it through the speaker wire channel (like a small pipe built in to route wires between the rear section and forward, just remove the rubber cap first). From there, the way to the helm is easy.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this install and location. As I mentioned before, I'm already invested. All there's left is to put it to the test and see what happened.
Good luck to me

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The transducer placement looks nice and its is a clean install but I don't think it is gonna read while underway... I think that high there will be too much white water... But maybe it will.. . I will be interested to see what it does.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also think that will be out of the water and likely not reading while on plane. Luckily since you used a stern saver, can always move it lower

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Okay, so learn from my experience and don't copy my work. The location of the transducer was too high and while in motion, you can't get no reading from it. In my case, the Structure Scan didn't work all together and I had to replace the transducer. and going to test it tomorrow for the first time. As for the new location for the transducer; I bought another stern saver and placed it on the bottom part of the transom next to the pumps. Upon installation, I realized this area is slanted to the side. I solved it by cutting a plastic cutting board in an angle. That fixed it. This weekend I will know if this works or not. Here are some pics:

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
BTW, does anyone knows how to remove a stern saver?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That should be perfect there. Could have even gone a smidge higher.

I'd try cutting through the adhesive with a fishing wire, and then going at it with goo-gone.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the simrad go7 installed today..... I am really happy with the placement, looks great at this location
I didn't install the transducer, I don't fish so I think am going to get the forward scan transducer. I would rather see what's ahead of me then under. Very solid mount - 1 1/2 ball ram mount.

View attachment 51267View attachment 51268View attachment 51269View attachment 51270View attachment 51271View attachment 51272View attachment 51273View attachment 51274

View attachment 51267 View attachment 51268 View attachment 51269 View attachment 51270 View attachment 51271 View attachment 51272 View attachment 51273
Aloha @Benny Sibbitt does the Simrad GO7 block ur view of the gauges?

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the simrad go7 installed today..... I am really happy with the placement, looks great at this location
I didn't install the transducer, I don't fish so I think am going to get the forward scan transducer. I would rather see what's ahead of me then under. Very solid mount - 1 1/2 ball ram mount.

View attachment 51267View attachment 51268View attachment 51269View attachment 51270View attachment 51271View attachment 51272View attachment 51273View attachment 51274

View attachment 51267 View attachment 51268 View attachment 51269 View attachment 51270 View attachment 51271 View attachment 51272 View attachment 51273
Aloha @Benny Sibbitt where did u run ur transducer cable? I duplicated how u ran ur power cable, but can’t see in pics where the transducer cable is and how u did it. Mahalo🤙🏽

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Aloha @Benny Sibbitt where did u run ur transducer cable? I duplicated how u ran ur power cable, but can’t see in pics where the transducer cable is and how u did it. Mahalo🤙🏽
I didn't install my transducer, I dont fish so I didn't see the need for it myself

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just run it down the starboard side of the boat, under the under seat divider (wood), following along with the cables run through there. Then over the back of the under seat storage wall into the bilge area.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't install my transducer, I dont fish so I didn't see the need for it myself
Oh that explains it lol. I was looking for every angle to see where it was being ran. Ok ok now I know.🤙🏽

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just run it down the starboard side of the boat, under the under seat divider (wood), following along with the cables run through there. Then over the back of the under seat storage wall into the bilge area.
Aloha and mahalo @Julian and yes I am running it that way. But I was just wondering how @Benny Sibbitt ran his transducer cable to the unit itself in the helm, but like he explained he’s not running a transducer on the GPS side of his GO7. The connector is like 7/8” and was wondering how to get it there without drilling such a large hole in the helm itself. Think the best bet would be to unbolt the cap portion of the helm and run the wire at that joint to the unit. Well that’s what I’m thinking, anyone else has or did it differently?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did just that, @rkim808 . The bolts are pretty long, so I don't think I had to even take it all the way off. But I did anyway, because there was all sorts of dirt and gunk under there, so I cleaned it all up. Then I drilled that cap to mount my unit, in fact. Cables run out the back and right down the gap between the helm cap and the gelcoat--down by the windshield junction. Works well for me.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did just that, @rkim808 . The bolts are pretty long, so I don't think I had to even take it all the way off. But I did anyway, because there was all sorts of dirt and gunk under there, so I cleaned it all up. Then I drilled that cap to mount my unit, in fact. Cables run out the back and right down the gap between the helm cap and the gelcoat--down by the windshield junction. Works well for me.
Aloha @tdonoughue do u have any pics of ur install, would really like to see how u did it. Mahalo🤙🏽

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I put one on my Yamaha WaveRunner and wrote a short article about it too. Maybe it can help someone out.

Also, here's for the last picture of the SMPS in home.

I own a Garmin 942xs and occasionally like to sit down with it inside to go through and make sure everything is labeled that I may have done (e.g. waypoints) as it's much easier to do inside the comfort of your own home.

It is easy to do so thought I'd share for those that have their GPS mounted on a Gimbal mount as it's so simple to remove and replace.

The below Power Supply from Amazon is 12Vdc (5A max). It's perfect at $11.99 and Prime. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEA8PQA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It even has the adapter with screw terminals so you don't even have to get fancy with a connector such as the Deutsch DT Series.

This is perfect for in your home! Of course you will need the electrical harness which can be purchased from Amazon too. Do NOT cut off the inline fuse that is on the harness. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07254NJXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tip: To figure out what minimum amp rating you need, you divide Watts by Volts.

BerleyF.JPGBerleyR.JPGGPS_P1.JPGGPS-P2.JPGGPS in home.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm using a RAM mount just forward of the throttle levers. The cable is recessed just above the RAM mount. I use a 5" Garmin for the Bimini trips, but I don't need a GPS on my home lake. It's easy to install and remove. When it's removed, it's hard to tell that it was there in the first place.
Where did you get power from