• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS ChartPlotter install on a 2019 242 with the 12 inch Connext

DomBracero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello!

I have a 2019 242 S; with the 12 inch Connext screen. I purchased a Garmin EchoMap Plus 94sv Chart Plotter.... for those that have installed a chart plotter, on these boats, did you have to run the power to the battery? Or were you able to tap into a wire on the AMP that’s behind the helm or some other power source in that area?

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello!

I have a 2019 242 S; with the 12 inch Connext screen. I purchased a Garmin EchoMap Plus 94sv Chart Plotter.... for those that have installed a chart plotter, on these boats, did you have to run the power to the battery? Or were you able to tap into a wire on the AMP that’s behind the helm or some other power source in that area?
I tapped into the 12v power behind the helm on my install and never had an issue. I had a cigarette lighter type power plug I tapped into. Appears the 242s has one of those.

DomBracero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tapped into the 12v power behind the helm on my install and never had an issue. I had a cigarette lighter type power plug I tapped into.
Did you simply just splice the wire? Also, we’re you able to use the cigarette lighter plug at the same time as the plotter was on?

thanks for the reply!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you simply just splice the wire? Also, we’re you able to use the cigarette lighter plug at the same time as the plotter was on?

thanks for the reply!
Yes I can still use the cigarette plug to inflate my paddleboards which pulls a lot of current without interrupting the chartplotter.

I used Wire taps I guess to tap into the wires . Did not split fully if that’s the question. Where I spliced in, I used liquid electric tape to make it water proof.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2F941F39-25F7-450D-B812-83BE0D5BA620.png

DomBracero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome; I was worried about the ChartPlotter pulling to much current and not a being able to use the cigarette lighter plug to charge my phone.

DomBracero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can, please share a picture of the chartplotter Set up you installed. Thanks!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I always run a fresh ground and power wire to a fuse box behind the helm. I've had far too many problems with those splice connections, and I typically add a few items that need power at the helm. Thus far I have added:
  • Garmin 94 GPS
  • Marine Radio
  • Fume detector
  • Extra Dual USB charge port
All of these are linked in the Yamaha 242X link in my signature (if you are on your phone you won't see signatures until you turn your phone on its side).

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always run a fresh ground and power wire to a fuse box behind the helm. I've had far too many problems with those splice connections, and I typically add a few items that need power at the helm. Thus far I have added:
  • Garmin 94 GPS
  • Marine Radio
  • Fume detector
All of these are linked in the Yamaha 242X link in my signature (if you are on your phone you won't see signatures until you turn your phone on its side).
This a a great way to do it, tops to you. For me never had any issues splicing and making sure it’s sealed correctly. And the power consumption of chartplotter is minimal.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I can still use the cigarette plug to inflate my paddleboards which pulls a lot of current without interrupting the chartplotter.

I used Wire taps I guess to tap into the wires . Did not split fully if that’s the question. Where I spliced in, I used liquid electric tape to make it water proof.
I didn't know wire taps were a thing!

DomBracero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
  • Garmin 94 GPS
  • Marine Radio
  • Fume detector
Thanks for the info; I have a few questions:

1. I have a 2019 242 S and there is no fuse box behind the helm. Did You run power to the battery and put in a new fuse box behind the helm?

2.I also purchased a Garmin 94SV, can you post some pictures of where and how you mounted the unit? Are you happy with it?

Thank You

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, I ran power and ground to the battery and installed a fuse box behind the helm:

My Garmin install-LOVE the 94! It is probably too big for most people, but we fish a lot and wanted to be able to see if from the stern. Love the touch screen too. Add to that we go to Bimini every year, and having a really good nav screen is very helpful!

All of these are linked in my 242X thread. In case you are wondering what that list includes....here it is (#4, 5 and 6 are Garmin Install, #15 is fuse block install):

1. Xintek Fume Detector with blower control - my favorite safety mod
  2. 60" CE Smith Guide posts for trailer (needed these brackets to make them fit)
  3. 48" pads for guide posts
  4. Garmin GPSMAP 541 (now replaced with a Garmin Echomap Plus 94SV)
  5. Garmin Transducer mount and installation
  6. RAM mount for GPS
  7. 4 New Taylor Made blue swirl fenders and 4 blue fender lines
  8. 4 new dock lines
  9. New Anchor line (x2 now...since I donated one to Poseidon in Bimini)
  10. Deluxe Yamaha mooring cover
  11. Vinyl boat name (dimensions for my boat) from doityourselflettering.com
  12. Jetboaters.net spare tire cover (had to give the old one away to the new owner!)
  13. Stoltz bow roller
  14. 2 Dual USB charging ports (one at helm, one at passenger chair)
  15. 2 Blue Sea ST Blade fuse blocks-one for behind the helm, one for the battery compartment
  16. Wet Sounds HT-4 Amplifier for mid cabin speakers and also connected the sound bar too! (also covered some in this thread) -eliminating the speakers in series stopped the amp from cutting out!
  17. Pair of JL MX 650 Speakers for the mid cabin.
  18. Blue Sea Systems Common 150A BusBar with Four Terminal of 20 1/4-Inch Studs with Cover, & lots of wire, ring connectors, and fuses!
  19. Helm storage Rod for hanging life jackets
  20. Target garbage can for copilot bungee spot
  21. 2 Flag poles and holders for the tower (Kwik Tek FWT-1 Wakeboard Tower Flag Holder)
  22. Mesh pocket organizers for storage closet
  23. 2nd table leg that I insert the grill into on the stern
  24. Guest Dual bank onboard charger
  25. Cable wrap to make cable runs look stock
  26. Paper towel holder in storage area
  27. 2 Amarine-made Stainless Tournament Style Clamp on Fishing Rod Holder for Rails 1-1/4" to 2"
  28. 2 Amarine stainless gunnel rod holders (30 degree...I'd go 15 next time)
  29. 25 Watt Standard Horizon Explorer GX 1600 marine radio, and Shakespeare Stainless Steel Quickconnect rail mount antenna - photos here.
  30. External VHF Speaker
  31. Portapotti (never been used...hope it stays that way!)
  32. Made my own windshield/Rainshield...and it got tested in Ft. Lauderdale and worked well!
  33. Stern Seadek added to cover more of the stepping points than stock.
  34. Inexpensive Ballast bags from Aerial ( I have their 500lb bags too)

Lmrowen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just sold my 2012 212X and picked up a 2020 242XE with 20 hours. Few questions as I won't launch her until spring:

1. Is the Connext chartplotter not good, or is the Garmin upgrade mainly to add fishfinder capability? I need a chart plotter but not a fish finder so am I good with the stock Connext?

2. I'm a tad nervous about going all electronic controls - are these displays reliable?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The typical current draw for a chartplotter is 1-2amps so you could tap almost any 12v +/- source and not have issues. My Axiom maxes out at 1.2amps with a 7" screen. A bigger screen will draw a bit more, but not enough to be a concern.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1. Is the Connext chartplotter not good, or is the Garmin upgrade mainly to add fishfinder capability? I need a chart plotter but not a fish finder so am I good with the stock Connext?
:Welcome:
Congrats on finding a boat with only 20hrs on it!

You can update the Connext maps (for free if the card hasn't been registered) to get more data and info and it uses the Navionics map info, so it's very accurate with lots of navigation info very close to a chartplotter. The only downsides are it doesn't do heads-up to rotate the map based on your heading, and it isn't fast updating - sometimes it hiccups as it displays with about a 2 second (0.5Hz) update interval compared to typical plotters that update 10x per second (10Hz). I posted about the maps here on the forum. For basic navigation, the updated maps works fine, but you need to adjust to how they work. I did a full season last year and had no real complaints except for the heading and update speed.

So I decided to install a 7" Axiom chartplotter so I could have full-time maps along-side the Connext screen and not have to switch back and forth between maps, home, trip info, etc. Having the Connext maps will be a backup if my plotter ever fails too which is comforting.
2. I'm a tad nervous about going all electronic controls - are these displays reliable?
Yes they're quite reliable...just like cars, phones, TVs, computers, etc. Sometimes you hear about a bad unit, but that's usually in the first few trips and based on how many complaints we've seen compared to happy customers, it's a non-issue. We went from an older I/O prop with no electronics at all, so it's a big change, but we're not concerned about it.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On the 2019 you don’t need to splice anything behind the helm there is an accessory wire there, use it
I plan to do this too, I found two sets of unused connectors behind the helm with 12v so either will work for my chartplotter. I will check that they turn on/off with the battery switches too.