• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Stereo upgrade

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Spent last weekend with the boat out and the sound bar turned down to point toward the Captain and Co-Captain, WOW what a difference. Defiantly do not need mid cabin speakers, this thing is loud!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So in the picture I only cut 4 wires. There is a LRS +, LRS series, RRS +, RRS series.

I connected the speaker wire that will be tied to the amp ( for the sound bar ) to the top portion of the wire closest to the connector. So yes you are correct there @Julian .

So the other wire that you see is tied into the bottom portion of the LRS + wire because that wire already goes to an amp thru the factory harness. The connection on the port interior speaker has the LRS - connection so hooking these 2 up to the speaker will be one channel on the amp.

All connections are soldered, liquid black tape, and then for grins I put a layer of regular electrical tape over the connection.

All items get here today so stay tuned for more install pics.
Thanks to a little help from @jcyamaharider I completed this change today, moving my soundbar over to the open channels on my Wetsounds amp....holy cow this makes such a huge difference!!!! Yamaha really messed up when they half powered the sound bar!!! It sounds so much better with full power to it!!!!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How much power did you give it Julian? If yours is like my 212X, I'm guessing it was getting about half of half of 70w.

Jcyamaharider, I read your post again yesterday (super helpful btw) and have decided I want to rewire my speakers in parallel. Right now the soundbar and swim platform are in series on the rear channels and the rear cabin and bow are in series on the front channels. How did you pull wires to the starboard side? Thx.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much power did you give it Julian? If yours is like my 212X, I'm guessing it was getting about half of half of 70w.
I connected 2 channels of my Wetsounds HT-4 to it. That would be 110w per channel. Wetsounds recommends 75-150 so I think I'm in a decent spot there. I turned on the high pass filter and set it at 100 per Wetsounds suggestion.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jcyamaharider, I read your post again yesterday (super helpful btw) and have decided I want to rewire my speakers in parallel. Right now the soundbar and swim platform are in series on the rear channels and the rear cabin and bow are in series on the front channels. How did you pull wires to the starboard side? Thx.
I ran a completely new speaker wire.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think I'm just going to run the one wire to the starboard side from the wiring loom. I did this with the port side and it sounds fine, and messing with the wires at the amp would be more of a pain. If I heard any sound difference I might run new wires.....but I didn't....

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice!!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thx guys.

Jcyamaharider, did you run new wires to all your speakers? What kind of wire did you use? And how did you pull them, particularly for the speakers on the starboard side? In my boat, the amp is under the port side rear seat.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thx guys.

Jcyamaharider, did you run new wires to all your speakers? What kind of wire did you use? And how did you pull them, particularly for the speakers on the starboard side? In my boat, the amp is under the port side rear seat.

@Dave burke I only ran a new speaker wire over to the starboard interior speaker. All of the other used existing factory speaker wire, I just had to extend them.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used the existing speaker wire that came down from the core ten that was thru the tower and terminated everything behind the port speaker.

I did have to run bigger wire to my rev 10's thru the tower.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry, I think I'm being dense. I'm trying to understand how you ran how you ran your new wire over to the starboard interior speaker. I think maybe I'm not being clear because I was assuming your amps are under the same seat as my 212X (rear port side). Maybe that's not the case. Thx

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry, I think I'm being dense. I'm trying to understand how you ran how you ran your new wire over to the starboard interior speaker. I think maybe I'm not being clear because I was assuming your amps are under the same seat as my 212X (rear port side). Maybe that's not the case. Thx
Yep same location. I just went thru the engine bay and up to the speaker.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think I'm just going to run the one wire to the starboard side from the wiring loom. I did this with the port side and it sounds fine, and messing with the wires at the amp would be more of a pain. If I heard any sound difference I might run new wires.....but I didn't....
While writing up a wiring diagram for this modification, I realized all one needs to do is connect the wires in the harness for the cabin speakers! DUH! I did this for the starboard speaker...and it worked perfectly. I including a few photos in this thread.

242X Tower Wiring MODIFIED 2.png

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spent last weekend with the boat out and the sound bar turned down to point toward the Captain and Co-Captain, WOW what a difference. Defiantly do not need mid cabin speakers, this thing is loud!
Hey jcyamaharider, any chance you can do a YouTube video of your set up and turn it up for everyone to listen to your masterpiece?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey jcyamaharider, any chance you can do a YouTube video of your set up and turn it up for everyone to listen to your masterpiece?
Boat is all put away for winter now but once spring rolls around I can do that for you.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Second round of modifications coming. I have traded @F.M. a polk 5000.5 for a Polk 4000.4 for some equally matched wattage to all of my JL speakers. I have on order another JL M10IB5-SG-TB for the other side, a JL M600/1, Speaker Suitz for my Rev10's, and the Wetsounds A-link!! Thanks to @Earmark Marine again!! Since I will have 4 amps now I have outgrown the space under the port seat because I will have to upgrade to a larger battery for the sound system. I will be putting an AGM group 31 battery under there. The amps will be relocated behind the helm and mounted on an amp rack. I will paint this black so it isn't so noticeable and possibly put some red LED lights on it for some flair. Also on order " 0 " awg OFC power and ground cable, 12 and 14 awg ofc speaker wire, power and ground stinger distribution blocks, and a stinger 250 amp circuit breaker. Really excited to get this project done because then i can get everyone the sound clips they have requested. Most of you have started your stereo build anyways but I can get it out there for everyone that hasn't.

242Xstereo.jpg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Second round of modifications coming. I have traded @F.M. a polk 5000.5 for a Polk 4000.4 for some equally matched wattage to all of my JL speakers. I have on order another JL M10IB5-SG-TB for the other side, a JL M600/1, Speaker Suitz for my Rev10's, and the Wetsounds A-link!! Thanks to @Earmark Marine again!! Since I will have 4 amps now I have outgrown the space under the port seat because I will have to upgrade to a larger battery for the sound system. I will be putting an AGM group 31 battery under there. The amps will be relocated behind the helm and mounted on an amp rack. I will paint this black so it isn't so noticeable and possibly put some red LED lights on it for some flair. Also on order " 0 " awg OFC power and ground cable, 12 and 14 awg ofc speaker wire, power and ground stinger distribution blocks, and a stinger 250 amp circuit breaker. Really excited to get this project done because then i can get everyone the sound clips they have requested. Most of you have started your stereo build anyways but I can get it out there for everyone that hasn't.

View attachment 69765
Glad I could be of assistance.