• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Stereo upgrade

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny side note. . . .my middle guy saw me holding the tower speakers and was like what are you doing with that huge coffee mug. We took this pic to commemorate it.20170908_182641.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finished up my install today. Everything sounds great!! I have some tuning to do and final wiring tidying up but it is functional.

Let me say that when the wetsounds sound bar is powered correctly that thing is "holy crap" loud!

That coupled with the 2 Rev 10'S , good lord I don't know if I will have hearing this time next year. Lol. I will probably end up adding another JL IB sub on the other side, I need just a little more boom.

20170909_110525.jpg

20170909_140316.jpg

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This looks like a great install. Congrats.

Two questions:
- I think you now have 3 amps. Which amps are powering which speakers?
- where did you put the 420? Can you send pics?

Thx.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This looks like a great install. Congrats.

Two questions:
- I think you now have 3 amps. Which amps are powering which speakers?
- where did you put the 420? Can you send pics?

Thx.

So I have my polk 5000.5 powering the sub and the 4 interior speakers. These 4 interior speakers are also on the gain knob on the right side of my 420 so I can turn down or off the bow speakers for my kids so I do not damage their hearing.
I have my polk 4000.4 wired to 2 channels for the sound bar at about 110 watts, and then I have the other 2 channels wired to my swim deck speakers tuned in at 60 watts. I have the SYn-DX4 bridged to 2 channels for 300 watts to the rev 10's. I set the gains with a DMM and I verified the clipping point of my head unit with my DD-1.

Here is the WS-420 and the extra gain knob:

WS420.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider some questions for you:

1. are you adding speakers at the helm?
  2. Do you have your sound bar pointing forwards or backwards?
  3. I gather you heard a big difference when you put the soundbar on its own channel?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am not going to add Helm speakers because I am going to point the sound bar forward toward the driver. I did have it like this once but it wasn't on its own channel yet so it was still kind of quiet. Now I think it will blow me away.

If anyone has any doubts about this sound bar sounding good I can vouch that if I didn't have Rev10 on the tower these would be perfect for surfing range. The Core 10 is very loud and crisp!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not going to add Helm speakers because I am going to point the sound bar forward toward the driver. I did have it like this once but it wasn't on its own channel yet so it was still kind of quiet. Now I think it will blow me away.

If anyone has any doubts about this sound bar sounding good I can vouch that if I didn't have Rev10 on the tower these would be perfect for surfing range. The Core 10 is very loud and crisp!
Begs the question why Yamaha doesn't power it properly out of the factory. The base model "Seaworthy" treatment was an annoying but understandable approach where they are trying to hit a value-oriented price point. Installing serious speakers on an up-the-scale boat and then intentionally underpowering them is a real shame.

Hey, Yamaha factory sound techs / engineers that have been telling management this all along - you are correct!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Begs the question why Yamaha doesn't power it properly out of the factory. The base model "Seaworthy" treatment was an annoying but understandable approach where they are trying to hit a value-oriented price point. Installing serious speakers on an up-the-scale boat and then intentionally underpowering them is a real shame.

Hey, Yamaha factory sound techs / engineers that have been telling management this all along - you are correct!
Well, how about tower speaker pods w/DB651s (a $45 coax speaker in retail) in 75k flagship model X?
(and calling it "Slam Pack" for crying out loud)
EDIT: my bad, that's not Slam Pack. Still - I like those DBs (I have 10 of those in the cockpit) - but what's the point of sticking those on a tower???

--

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, how about tower speaker pods w/DB651s (a $45 coax speaker in retail) in 75k flagship model X?
EDIT: my bad, that's not Slam Pack. Still - I like those DBs (I have 10 of those in the cockpit) - but what's the point of sticking those on a tower???

--
Hey. . . Dont be knocking the DB651's I just bought on purpose. . . . . I'm not an Audiophile like I used to be. ; )

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The DB651 are great speakers. I just require more because the wife and I are deaf.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The DB651s are definitely great speakers, best for the money - hands down. I went with those on purpose, too. In my opinion/experience they are both soft and strong (enough for the cabin/cockpit use). Also very musical - I actually prefer the sound of those DB651s to much "brighter" sound of Wet Sounds (such as my ICON8s).

However - no one should consider those DBs as great TOWER speakers.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

--
This is why they went Wetsounds in 2018!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A little update on my stereo system. I didn't think much of this sub till last night. I ended up finding a broken RCA cable so I went and got another one hooked it up holy crap this thing pounds.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Audio file or it never happened. . . . . = )

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have to wait until this weekend. Too loud for the neighbor hood. I turn it up an eighth and it is probably still too loud.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to wait until this weekend. Too loud for the neighbor hood. I turn it up an eighth and it is probably still too loud.
Damn. You adding any batteries?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now that you've got the sub working properly, how does it compare to the stock Polk sub?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Now that you've got the sub working properly, how does it compare to the stock Polk sub?
Not even the same league. That JL is a purpose built IB sub and it shows. Now put that Polk sub in a box and I bet that it would sound really good. The polk sub is not meant to be an IB sub. On my last boat I had 2 12" Polk MM series DVC subs in a box powered by a Polk 1000.1 and they sounded great!

@0627Devildog I am going to replace the house battery with a Group 31 deep cycle next year.