• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow Roller Replacement

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I changed by bow roller with the new Stoltz 4”. I am not posting this as another upgrade thread, but rather, to show anyone still debating if they should change the stock roller on their trailer, what the roller damage looks like. I really do not care about the roller but wanted to show the problem.

Photo 1 – Stock roller once it was removed. You can see the blue and white gel coat imbedded in the roller. You can also see the scrapes and damage to the roller itself. Those marks are not just on the surface, but slightly in to the plastic. This was done after only two launches and recovery. I did not post pictures of the boat gel coat as the damage does not show clearly in the photos.

Photo 2 – My method of expanding the brackets, wood and heavy hammer.

Photo 3 - Final install

Short narrative below.
As others have posted, the replacement is very easy. I did it in my driveway. The steps I took are as follows:
  1. Loosened the transom straps
  2. Loosened the bow strap
  3. Backed up twice and hit the brakes hard. I was not going fast as there is no need to.
  4. Unbolted the old roller, two ¾” sockets on ratchets.
  5. Took a piece of wood and a 2lb hammer and bent the brackets back slightly to allow the larger center section to fit. Four hits to each. Did not want to strike too hard as to avoid the wood slipping and hit the boat.
  6. Installed new roller. Tightened the bolt and made sure the center section would roll easily.
  7. Drive forward and hit the brakes. Not too much speed, did not want the boat to hit the roller.
  8. Used the crank to pull the last ½” tight to the roller.
Total estimated work time…less than thirty minutes, and I took my time.

I hope this helps someone…

Regards,
Nick
IMG_20150502_105215.jpg
IMG_20150502_105649.jpg

IMG_20150502_110257.jpg

#stoltz
<edited by admin to add hashtag>

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great write up, Thanks!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is a good write up! Hard to believe that shitty roller is installed stock. It needs to go Yamaha, I bet you have enough clout to make the Stolz Ultimate Bow Roller the stock roller on these boats!

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Heading to the river tomorrow and going to change mine there , I was thinking of ways to do it with it on the trailer ! Great idea

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I might add this...don't unhook the bow winch strap...just loosen and let out no more than 6", and lock it. Not likely, but you never know, one man's sudden stop may not be another's../don't want anyone's boat on the ground!!!

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I might add this...don't unhook the bow winch strap...just loosen and let out no more than 6", and lock it. Not likely, but you never know, one man's sudden stop may not be another's../don't want anyone's boat on the ground!!!
Absolutely. I even left the bow safety chain on. You just never know. Again, you do not have to go fast. I rolled a foot or so....

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Likely doing mine this way tomorrow morning. Or, I'll just wait til I launch. Either way, tomorrow.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just curious as to why everyone is doing this mod? Is the stock bow roller causing damage to your boats, or is this preventative?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I replaced mine the second week I had my brand new boat and had marks after a few launches ! Thanks to everyone who recommended the stoltz roller no permanent damage was done to the gel coat . Now the stoltz roller leaves no marks on the boat .

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll put this on my list. I haven't noticed any marks on my boat, but I have noticed that the roller is rally hard.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just curious as to why everyone is doing this mod? Is the stock bow roller causing damage to your boats, or is this preventative?
Here is a picture of the roller after I removed it. Notice the blue and white gel coat on it.
image.jpeg

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll have to check mine. I don't recall seeing any black marks on the roller, but I'm not sure I actually look at it closely. I do notice that mine tends to flatten out when my boat is up against it. Thanks for the picture.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had not noticed mine either until that one fatal day....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Any one have the link to this roller?