• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Stereo upgrade

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did you free hand that? Great cut. I was scared doing mine, but triple check everything and it's all good.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider man I wonder how much vibration your going to get in your throttles and dash with the sub mounted there. Mine is behind the drivers seat in a sealed (.875) box and I get a little vibration now in the throttles, its not much though.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jerry cut so many holes in our last boat it don't scare me anymore ! :nailbiting:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a big 'ol hole. Love the amp shelf, takes up much less room than I was picturing.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the amp rack....how did u secure it to the boat....

I know sometimes when I'm in rough chop it can get a lil bumpy in those places and wonder how secure it is.....looks nice though!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you free hand that? Great cut. I was scared doing mine, but triple check everything and it's all good.

No free hand, rotozip with the circle guide and a carbide bit.

I will stiffen up the wall so I should be good on the vibration, I am sure there will be a little bit.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the amp rack....how did u secure it to the boat....

I know sometimes when I'm in rough chop it can get a lil bumpy in those places and wonder how secure it is.....looks nice though!!

I have an angle bracket on the back side and I am going to epoxy a block to the upper portion of the hull and secure up there as well.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have an angle bracket on the back side and I am going to epoxy a block to the upper portion of the hull and secure up there as well.
You should change your name from jcyamaharider to macgyver...;)...Lol
You are one creative dude!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No free hand, rotozip with the circle guide and a carbide bit.

I will stiffen up the wall so I should be good on the vibration, I am sure there will be a little bit.
I did the same, that carbide tip cut it like butter in one pass.

I used PVC board board from Home Depot as a baffle on the backside. That space would really suck to get to though, I was able to reach around from the storage area and battery compartment to get it bolted on.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pretty sure the whole boat's going to vibrate before you're done... Lol! :D

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did the same, that carbide tip cut it like butter in one pass.

I used PVC board board from Home Depot as a baffle on the backside. That space would really suck to get to though, I was able to reach around from the storage area and battery compartment to get it bolted on.
I am going to do the same but mine has to be on the front side to make room for th magnet.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am going to do the same but mine has to be on the front side to make room for th magnet.
Damn, it's that close on that side? I figured it would be the same as port side.... there is at least 4-5" from the woofer to hull.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not on mine, the port side is about 1/4" from the hull, and this side I am going to have to use a 1/2" spacer to be the same.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I guess there are some perks to buying the cheap boat. :cool:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And we have a big hole!

View attachment 70201

@adrianp89 , I just realized I didn't answer your question, that is the box for the servos on the floor.
Nice work on the hole.That is where my current hole is. I moved the harness up ( had to extend the lanyard switch and neutral wires) and stuffed closed cell foam all around already. As mentioned in another thread I am using spray foam and glassing over it to create a box in there for my polk 1040 mm. Same on the other side of the boat too. I have a long weekends of mods planned this weeknd and next and hopefully will be done before April.

I do recommend the closed cell foam stuffed between the throttles and hull along with the upper cavity as well to reduce vibrations. I also made beefy speaker rings out of starboard to stiffen it up and recommend those as well. I am sure it will sound great when you are done.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work on the hole.That is where my current hole is. I moved the harness up ( had to extend the lanyard switch and neutral wires) and stuffed closed cell foam all around already. As mentioned in another thread I am using spray foam and glassing over it to create a box in there for my polk 1040 mm. Same on the other side of the boat too. I have a long weekends of mods planned this weeknd and next and hopefully will be done before April.

I do recommend the closed cell foam stuffed between the throttles and hull along with the upper cavity as well to reduce vibrations. I also made beefy speaker rings out of starboard to stiffen it up and recommend those as well. I am sure it will sound great when you are done.
I agree with @Mainah with some kind of insulation like the cell foam to minimize vibration. It seems the gunwale in our boats are thin and vibrations are inevitable at times. I had to re-position my subs to face the cabin vs the gunwale because of this. Please keep me posted on how everything goes so I can plan future projects. Thanks for the great info and pics. You know me, I need pics with my simple brain.

I think today is my first day on the water to test out my new setup. 80 degrees today. I'm PUMPED!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Let me say that when the wetsounds sound bar is powered correctly that thing is "holy crap" loud!
I finally got around to rewiring to free up the soundbar and I have to agree with @jcyamaharider that "holy crap" it is loud.

I decided not to cut into my harness though to separate the soundbar. Since I was going to have to run wire anyway to the rear cabin speakers, I just removed the terminal connectors from the rear cabin speakers, and soldered those wires together to close the loop for the soundbar. Then ran new wire altogether to hook up the rear cabins to the other amp.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Already have the Speaker rings cut.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where did you pick up your closed cell foam up at @Mainah ?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
SDS is a great place to get some.