• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trash can ideas?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do you buy their bags or use something less expensive?
They went out of stock on their bags (which may be in stock again), so I switched to a regular kitchen bag and that works really well. There are clips inside that hold the bags up, so I would recommend saving money and getting different bags than what they sell.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I plan to copy this idea:

l_garbage-bag-holder.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I never posted about this trash can as it actually hasn't worked out as well as I would have liked. The lid is loose and comes off to easily, and the strange part is the flip top is so light that the swirling wind created when driving actually opens up the lid and allows light loose garbage (like paper napkins) to get sucked out too! I MAY try adding a weight to the bottom of the lid....or just find a different one! I did have to make some mods to it to make it fit...namely just putting a spacer block on the back.....see below:

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That still fits better than any can I have seen or tried from a size and shape perspective. I did some searching and found it at Target. Is that the 10L http://www.target.com/p/curver-mistral-10l-pivot-lid-trash-can/-/A-50385238 or the 25L http://www.target.com/p/curver-mistral-25l-pivot-lid-trash-can/-/A-50385245 ?

Nothing is going to fit that space perfectly so I am willing to do mods. I think the color actually matches the gray interior of my boat fairly well if I don't decide to wrap it. My plan is to modify the top so it stays on, add a magnet setup to the flip lid so it resits opening too easy, and of course the space mod. I think the sad part is how excited I am about a trash can.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That still fits better than any can I have seen or tried from a size and shape perspective. I did some searching and found it at Target. Is that the 10L http://www.target.com/p/curver-mistral-10l-pivot-lid-trash-can/-/A-50385238 or the 25L http://www.target.com/p/curver-mistral-25l-pivot-lid-trash-can/-/A-50385245 ?

Nothing is going to fit that space perfectly so I am willing to do mods. I think the color actually matches the gray interior of my boat fairly well if I don't decide to wrap it. My plan is to modify the top so it stays on, add a magnet setup to the flip lid so it resits opening too easy, and of course the space mod. I think the sad part is how excited I am about a trash can.
Yup....got it at Target...

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian have you thought about making the flap part of the lid not open and making a round hole in the lid and putting a bottomless cup holder in it like the other guy did in a post above. That way no matter if you are driving the trash should stay put right ?Screenshot_2017-02-23-21-44-23-1.png

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian have you thought about making the flap part of the lid not open and making a round hole in the lid and putting a bottomless cup holder in it like the other guy did in a post above. That way no matter if you are driving the trash should stay put right ?View attachment 51866
Interesting idea....the issue is the lid is really flimsy...plus I like being able to easily throw out a large paper plate-for example. I don't think it will take much weight to prevent the top from being suctioned up....I'll post what I end up doing. I'd love to do the above and mount the can under the ceiling of the changing room with a hole in the top of the dash area...that is what I think would be the perfect/best use of space!

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting idea....the issue is the lid is really flimsy...plus I like being able to easily throw out a large paper plate-for example. I don't think it will take much weight to prevent the top from being suctioned up....I'll post what I end up doing. I'd love to do the above and mount the can under the ceiling of the changing room with a hole in the top of the dash area...that is what I think would be the perfect/best use of space!
We just roll up the paper plates and they fit right in.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The idea of cup holder as trash can access looks fantastic. How did you remove the cup holder to cut it? Are they glued in place? Tapped?

I'm looking forward to implementing this very good idea.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The idea of cup holder as trash can access looks fantastic. How did you remove the cup holder to cut it? Are they glued in place? Tapped?

I'm looking forward to implementing this very good idea.
I have a 2107 AR210. My cup holders have a trim ring covering the screw holes. You just twist the trim ring an 1/8" turn and it comes off. Then you can access the screws that hold the cup holder in place.

I hope that helps!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. I have a sx230. I will feel around when i get to it and see if it's the same. Much appreciated.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Beachbummer my cup holders had an adhesive under the lip of the cup holder. I used acetone to soften the adhesive, then gently tapped the cup holder from the bottom up. I think I also used a putty knife to gently pry from the top. After I got the cup holder out I removed all of the glue, then cut the bottom off with a hack saw. Also filed the cut edges so no one gets cut. I can't remember if I re-glued it back in or not, it was a really tight fit as I recall.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great, thanks for the tip!

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an extra Kingsford Caddy that I plan to test as a trash can. It has a small door on top that seals fairly tight. I should be able to use a standard trash bag as well.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a carabiner and attach a bag to the windshield support post. Works just fine.