• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

15 242 trashcan

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What did you all use for the trashcan that goes next to the passenger seat? I need to pick one up that fits well in there.
Also port potty which one is good for under $100

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @john94si . Good post. There have been similar ones regarding porta-pottties, but nothing regarding the trash can on the 2015. Regarding porta potti, I bought one (and have never used it) to have on hand for the Bimini trip. I went with the low-cost-easy clean-up approach. I got the type that's simply a toilet seat/lid that fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I use a bucket that has the same diameter as a 5 gallon, but is half the height so that it can be placed on the "seat" in the head compartment. I use trash bags and I'll pre-load the bag with kitty litter to make for an easy clean-up.
As far as a trash can goes, I haven't found anything that I think is great. So far, I've been using an office style rectangular open top plastic can from Home Depot. I use two small 4-inch bungie cords to hold it in place. It works fine, but is at risk of collecting rain water. It's not pretty, but it works.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've looked for one but yet to find one that fits and looks good.

The Budnick's

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found a suction cup grocery bag holder that works well on the inside of the head door. Trash is outta site and wind when cruising.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is the one I have in my 13' 242LS. It works great for us. There are two different ones from Dometic that work but this one sits lower which allows more headroom. I've even had a 6ft 7" friend use it. (It wasnt fun for him but it worked)

The one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-301096202-Tan-Portable-Toilet/dp/B001EJRGYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453810523&sr=8-1&keywords=dometic+marine+toilet

The other one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-301097606-Portable-Toilet-Gallon/dp/B0050EFHWW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453810651&sr=8-2&keywords=dometic+toilet

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I looked long and hard for a trashcan. What I came up with works awesome and cheap.

I got a small/medium plastic tub used for storage. I remove the lid and just toss the trash in and put the lid back on when under way. It fits either in head or under the starboard rear seat.

When I get back to the dock, I just empty it out and give it a quick rinse with lake water for any liquids the got in it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with a domestic porta potty. It was a little over $100 at west marine. The non marine version was under $100 but didn't include the mounting brackets which where around $30 if purchased separately. If you don't intend to mount it the lovable loo (toilet seat on a bucket ) should do fine.

No ideas on a trash can as my boat is older. It has a combing area with a net on the passenger side but it's a small area which is covered when the seat is configures as a lounger. One mod some have done is to remove a cup holder and use its space as a pass through to a trash bag.

Jacob hahn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a diaper trash can that fits neatly in the side net. The lid is perfect and it's easy to empty.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For an Emergency Only! situation, the Luggable Loo works perfectly fine, and I like that in a real emergency I can use it as a bailing bucket.

For those using the 5 gallon bucket solutions, the Double Doodie bags work really well. They have a gel in them to keep smells and cleanup to a minimum and there's two bags. The outer bag has a heavy duty ziplock closure and just closes around the waste bag.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a 'trash can' I get the white kitchen trash bags with the cinch thingy on them. I have a leftover velcro dockline tie that I wrap around the little post on the port side windshield (where it meets the dash). The bag hangs there next to the head compartment. When it is time to fly, I open the door, swing in the bag and close the door (leaving the bag still attached). When we stop, open the door and swing out the bag again. Works great for me.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am going to try this "Simple Human" can from The Container Store. It is quite small, so it won't work for everyone, but it is in a convenient spot and it doesn't intrude on the passenger's space too much.
If you don't generate a lot of trash, it might work for you.

http://www.containerstore.com/category/simplehuman?productId=10033714

I'm going to add some SeaDek padding to the back and bottom surfaces of the can so it won't rattle/buzz and will sit more level. Right now, the front edge of the can is about 1/2" up off the floor.

It is all stainless steel and plastic, so hopefully it tolerates the harsh environment well enough - I'll post back my thoughts after using it for a while.

IMG_6026.JPG

Last edited:

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What did you all use for the trashcan that goes next to the passenger seat? I need to pick one up that fits well in there.
Also port potty which one is good for under $100
Oh Hell...be careful on here with the porta-potty remarks...ha ha ha! I started a conversation with a group with the same boat and most thought it was gross and the wives chimed in! I haven't looked into the trash cans yet, but I like the Thetford Curve porta-potty, but I'm still doing my research! Hope this helps!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're not willing to look into the trash can, certainly don't look into the porta-potty...

(sorry--couldn't resist)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am going to try this "Simple Human" can from The Container Store. It is quite small, so it won't work for everyone, but it is in a convenient spot and it doesn't intrude on the passenger's space too much.
If you don't generate a lot of trash, it might work for you.

http://www.containerstore.com/category/simplehuman?productId=10033714

I'm going to add some SeaDek padding to the back and bottom surfaces of the can so it won't rattle/buzz and will sit more level. Right now, the front edge of the can is about 1/2" up off the floor.

It is all stainless steel and plastic, so hopefully it tolerates the harsh environment well enough - I'll post back my thoughts after using it for a while.

View attachment 33316
So how has this worked out for you....we bought a cheap one with a lid, and it isn't working well for us as the lid lifts off to easily.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So how has this worked out for you....we bought a cheap one with a lid, and it isn't working well for us as the lid lifts off to easily.
@Julian - it is working really well. The only issue I had is that that area where I have the can isn't level - there is a gap at the bottom front edge. I solved this by attaching a couple of self-stick rubber feet, about 1/2" thick to the bottom of the can. I also attached one to the back of the can, near the top edge. With these little rubber bumpers in place, the can is level and doesn't make any noise and stays put even in the roughest chop.

This can doesn't have a huge storage capacity, but if you can live with the smaller size, the quality is great and it stays put and looks pretty good as well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian - it is working really well. The only issue I had is that that area where I have the can isn't level - there is a gap at the bottom front edge. I solved this by attaching a couple of self-stick rubber feet, about 1/2" thick to the bottom of the can. I also attached one to the back of the can, near the top edge. With these little rubber bumpers in place, the can is level and doesn't make any noise and stays put even in the roughest chop.

This can doesn't have a huge storage capacity, but if you can live with the smaller size, the quality is great and it stays put and looks pretty good as well.
Does stuff blow out of it at speed?

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does stuff blow out of it at speed?
I use plastic liner bags in it. If there is nothing in the can, the bag can flip out (inside out) at speeds over 40mph or so - it only happened once though. If there's anything even a little heavy, no problems. I've never had anything blow out of there, but I guess if it was full with light stuff on top it would be possible. Not an issue so far for me, though. I really like it!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is the space next to the passenger seat with the net hooks for a trashcan? Been trying to figure out how to use that net for there, always so loose, this would make sense. I just have mine on the floor of my head right now, no issues with my beer, er pop, cans blowing out.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use that space for a trash can, bags, and wipes. I use mini bungee cords to hold the trash can in place.
WP_20160427_023.jpg WP_20160427_024.jpg