• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just spotted the videos on you tube. Looks like a fun trip. My dad used to run charters from Gov't Cut to Bimini and all over the islands. I am curious, I see some are from TN and saw you have painted trailers, did you splash your boats yourself or go to a marina and have them set in with a fork lift? Being that I used to live in SW FL, I know salt water was horrible to a painted trailer in very short order and that would be a concern of mine. Second, for the 192 owners, about how much did you spend on the trip fuel wise? Did you haul extra gas etc? Trying to decide if I would like to do the trip and perhaps get my friend and his wife to join me.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think most of us with painted trailers just launched the boat like normal. We then sprayed the trailers off with salt-away, fresh water, then salt-away again. Then dunked them in fresh was as soon as we got back home. They wanted $75 to lift the boat... each direction.... a little pricey for me.

This is from the 2014 thread. If your serious about going read through that entire thread.

The 192 burned about 35-40 gallons on the way over. 4 adults, 6 cases of beer, 2 cases of water, clothes, and 4 5-6 gallon containers of extra fuel. 25 mph pushing her as hard as we could with the weight and waves (7200 rpm). After off loading 2 containers of fuel at the half way point AND learning to ride in clear water and not in everyone else's wake we were runnig about 30-32 mph at 6700ish rpm. MUCH SMOOTHER when we all spread out.
On the way back we had 3 containers of fuel, 2 cases of beer left (somehow lol), no water, and I would say we burned about 33-36 gallons. Super smooth ride until we got close Port Everglades. Lots of traffic and waves there.
I would absolutely do it again in my 192 !! Very awesome trip

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think most of us with painted trailers just launched the boat like normal. We then sprayed the trailers off with salt-away, fresh water, then salt-away again. Then dunked them in fresh was as soon as we got back home. They wanted $75 to lift the boat... each direction.... a little pricey for me.

This is from the 2014 thread. If your serious about going read through that entire thread.
I will def do some research on it. 150 is cheap vs the price of a new trailer. What you can't get too to wash out is what will give you problems I'm afraid. It would be a lot different if the trailers were C channel vs box tube. Too many areas salt can get to when submerged that you can't with a hose. Not trying to rain on you just going by what I know and have seen. Would the fee for lifting the boat include storage for the tow rig?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Englewoodcowboy, we paid $8 a day to park our truck and trailer at http://www.harbourtownemarina.net . I believe everyone but Tyler parked there last year. Parking is not included in the lift fee but I believe the company who was lifting boats is in the same location.

I

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am dying top make the 2015 Run. . . . . But with the kids being only 4 and 6 (at the time of crossing) it may prove too much for them.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree totally with what you are saying about the salt. But I figure dipping it twice in it's whole life won't be "so" bad for it. Dipping it weekly... I can't imagine how fast the trailer would be ruined.

"twice"........ unless we go again in 2015 :winkingthumbsup" . Just not sure we can swing it again next year. I'd like to bring our kids with us since we are now experienced but that means footing the entire bill on my own, pretty pricey trip. BUT the TRIP of a LIFETIME! I guess its just money though right, lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am dying top make the 2015 Run. . . . . But with the kids being only 4 and 6 (at the time of crossing) it may prove too much for them.
We took our 4 year old son, Gavin, and just barely 7 year old daughter, Emma. They had a wonderful time. After returning to Florida, Gavin asked if we could go back again next year. Emma asked if we could go back next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Both of our kids have been in the water since they were babies. Emma really advanced in her swimming while we were there. The salt provides so much flotation that it was easier for her to swim. She spent a lot of time snorkeling and swimming. Gavin snorkeled a little but mainly wanted to walk in the shallow sand near beaches, build sand castles, play in the infinity pool and fish.

GavinCrossingSmiling.jpg

ReadytoSnorkel.jpg

KidsInTruckwBoat.jpg

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We would watch steel painted trailers dissolve from the inside out in about 6 to 8 months in FL. Thats why I decided if I do get to go, I will factor in the fork lift. I will only be able to afford to go if I get a couple to join in to split the cost so I know your pain. All of the years my dad went there I never once went with him to the islands though I have been in sight of them fishing as well as Cuba... that was something else right there.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We took our 4 year old son, Gavin, and just barely 7 year old daughter, Emma. They had a wonderful time. After returning to Florida, Gavin asked if we could go back again next year. Emma asked if we could go back next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that.

Both of our kids have been in the water since they were babies. Emma really advanced in her swimming while we were there. The salt provides so much flotation that it was easier for her to swim. She spent a lot of time snorkeling and swimming. Gavin snorkeled a little but mainly wanted to walk in the shallow sand near beaches, build sand castles, play in the infinity pool and fish.

View attachment 11921

View attachment 11922

View attachment 11920
Thanks for that Bruce I am going to share this with my wife.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@0627Devildog, if you would like to I am sure that Emma would be happy to talk to your wife and tell her what a great time she had.

We had a one bedroom condo with a loft. The loft had a bed for each of the kids and their own bathroom. It was a great setup for our family. I took two VHF handhelds so that @Rana and I could always be in touch.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might well take you up on that. . . .

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@0627Devildog The very first year of the Bimini trip (2011 on the other forum) one boat came with 3 boys all under the age of 6. Your kids will probably be more tolerant of any rough conditions than the adults.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@0627Devildog The very first year of the Bimini trip (2011 on the other forum) one boat came with 3 boys all under the age of 6. Your kids will probably be more tolerant of any rough conditions than the adults.
SPOT ON...its usually the wives that need to be tranq'd .....for everyone else its like a 2-3 hour roller coaster ride while bench pressing....

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
SPOT ON...its usually the wives that need to be tranq'd .....for everyone else its like a 2-3 hour roller coaster ride while bench pressing....
But it goes by so quick! Did not feel like that long on the way over. Ride back felt longer, but still not bad.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
But it goes by so quick! Did not feel like that long on the way over. Ride back felt longer, but still not bad.
sorry, I was thinking back to 2013..(shutter)......yes, this year was cake...awesome cake....

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If anyone's wives are concerned about the crossings just offer to add trim tabs for their comfort.

@Rana was thought the trip was great both ways.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to this forum just happened to stumble upon it. We are actually doing this trip in 10 days as crazy as it sounds this late in the year. we already have a small group planed to go next year but would love to join a larger group but I have to ask if it would be acceptable as we have two boats and three jet skis going next year just wasn't sure how well the three jet ski's would be accepted. Our crossing this year is all jet skis 7 in total I will post a video once we get back but next year the wife and i want to take the boat to take our daughter.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard @robert843!

I will be looking forward to your videos!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New to this forum just happened to stumble upon it. We are actually doing this trip in 10 days as crazy as it sounds this late in the year. we already have a small group planed to go next year but would love to join a larger group but I have to ask if it would be acceptable as we have two boats and three jet skis going next year just wasn't sure how well the three jet ski's would be accepted. Our crossing this year is all jet skis 7 in total I will post a video once we get back but next year the wife and i want to take the boat to take our daughter.
Any watercraft is welcome to join the big group here, we even allowed a prop boat to join us. The trip is all about having fun and doing it safely with a group no matter how you get there.

Welcome aboard!!! In case you haven't found it here is the 2014 Bimini trip thread, https://jetboaters.net/threads/bimini-2014-june-22.346/

Last edited: