• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drill out the intake on my jet ski

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My jet ski keeps overheating randomly. I want to drill out the intake on the jet pump to increase the water flow. Is there anything wrong with that? Not by much. But something has to help.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How old is your jetski? Did it always overheat? Why do you think the intake is restrictive? I assume you run in the salt. Have you checked the thermostat? Do you flush out the ski? Personally, do what you want. But there is a reason for the overheating and unless the intake is visibly plugged by weeds or build-up, it is not the problem.

Pictures.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
08 Kawasaki ultra250. No. It started last year. It has flow problems from time to time. I would think the thermostat except the engine is actually hot. Yesterday it ran hot after running 6-10 mph for over 20 mins. I can take the key out and let it sit for a min and it will let me take off again and be out of limp mode.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does Kawasaki have a yds type product? Otherwise i would get the code read,
Maybe the problem is in your cooling water to the exhaust??? On the yamahas those can get clogged with sediments and cause random overheat

Or at least a infrared thermometer to get some readings and try to narrow down

I agree with zipper, simply making hole bigger is only a bad bandaid

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Probably a bad heat sensor or the thermostat is bad get a non contact thermometer and do readings of the head and exhaust manifold as well as the muffler when it is not running hot for a base line also the temp of the water out the pissers. then when it overheats do it again and compare the temps if they are basically the same you have a bad temp sensor also check your oil level when this happens I had a oil level issue once and the limp mode and temp warning went off. I always babied my Kawasaki so maybe you are just riding it too hard.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didn’t get over 26 mph. The only restriction I found was the intercooler It’s running cold now. Engine and exhaust was hot but could hold my hand on it. I left it on the trailer overboard for 20 mins. On the hose the engine is cold to the touch.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do they make a performance intake grate for your machine that would load it more

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well my mod worked.but the supercharger belt broke. Fml. And my Connext screen on the boat died. Expensive beach trip

finnrigged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a gauge cluster and quite a few other parts for a 2007 Ultra 250X which is the exact same components as your 2008. Let me know if there's anything you want to buy and we can figure out a fair price. I'm here in northwest Houston 77041. What I do on the higher dollar Parts such as gauge clusters and superchargers Etc is take a video of the actual part, upload it to YouTube and send the link so you can see it in high definition.