• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine compartment-water

Ferg Dog 10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to boating so please excuse any ignorance! 2017 Yamaha AR190. Last time out had a decent amount of water in the engine compartment. Bilge was on, drain plugs in, drain out port secured, etc. All hoses seem to be connected and I can’t see any leaks. No idea where the water entered from. I know a bit of water is normal, but this seemed excessive.

Decided to start by swapping out old drain plugs. In doing so, stuck my finger in the hole where plug does in ski locker and there’s water there. Same with the one next to the fuel tank.

Is this normal? If not, does anyone know how to solve the problem? Any ideas as to how/why there was a decent amount of water in my engine compartment? Thanks in advance and hope some of yall can give this newbie some help!

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome.

Lots of posts on this issue. I'd suggest you look in the FAQs or use the search or advanced search functions, I've used them many times and they work very well.

Fortunately for me, I've never had this issue to any degree. I can tell you that water does accumulate in the bottom of the hull under the clean out port cover. I added a second bilge pump there several years ago which could be one reason why I've been lucky. I can find the post on this topic if you're interested.

Ferg Dog 10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome.

Lots of posts on this issue. I'd suggest you look in the FAQs or use the search or advanced search functions, I've used them many times and they work very well.

Fortunately for me, I've never had this issue to any degree. I can tell you that water does accumulate in the bottom of the hull under the clean out port cover. I added a second bilge pump there several years ago which could be one reason why I've been lucky. I can find the post on this topic if you're interested.
Welcome.

Thank you Sir!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you trailering or are you at a dock? Easier to get all the water out on the trailer. Jack it up all the way, on a block of wood to get all the water from under the ski locker. The hull is at its deepest point below the ski locker and the connected bilge holds a lot of water there. You gotta get the bow up. The bilge pump in the engine bay is mounted over a hole that connects it to the bilge below. Water should not be normal. There are a few ways it can leak in. Lots of leak finding threads here on a search. Welcome.

Ferg Dog 10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you trailering or are you at a dock? Easier to get all the water out on the trailer. Jack it up all the way, on a block of wood to get all the water from under the ski locker. The hull is at its deepest point below the ski locker and the connected bilge holds a lot of water there. You gotta get the bow up. The bilge pump in the engine bay is mounted over a hole that connects it to the bilge below. Water should not be normal. There are a few ways it can leak in. Lots of leak finding threads here on a search. Welcome.
Thank you! Will get the bow up on a block. Appreciate the advice!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not enough info in your original post to eliminate or expand on BUT the first place to check is back at the drain plugs. They have to be more than than just twisted in. They have to be tight as tight as you can get them with your hand. Even the smallest opening in the threads will allow the smallest amount of water into the bilge and over a day of being in the water it will add up. I chased my own years ago and that's all it was. Sometimes now to unscrew them I use a crescent wrench for that little extra leverage to unseat them. The next thing is an anchor locker that is draining into the ski locker (they're built to drain to the locker) which doesn't have the drain plug installed and during wash down the water makes its way to the bilge area.

Good Luck!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had water coming in from a clean out tube that was not seated correctly. Basically, the tube where the clean out plug goes into needs to be secured at the top and bottom with hose clamps. If you look under the hatch, you’ll see the tube. Check to make sure the clamps are tight and are at the very top and very bottom. I hope this makes sense.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might be water draining from the engine hatch seal.......... everytime I open my hatch water drips off onto various engine areas